Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Spectre air filters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:48 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Spectre air filters?

Alright, so I scored one of the truck hats for my F1 and it requires a 4" diameter inlet on the filter as opposed to the 3.5" the stock hat required. I had the bigger K&N 9" long filter x 3.5" inlet, and I went out tonight to get a 4" x 9" long that will work on my new bigger diameter hat. Well, Spectre happens to make a 4" inlet x 9" long filter thats about $10 cheaper than the K&N, AND it comes in not only red, but blue and white as well. I'm not a fan of the color red at all on any of my engine bay (not that the filter will be seen much anyways) but I'd prefer to have a white or blue one. However, I don't want to sacrifice flow for something so trivial as color of the filter since K&N only comes in red. However, if I can get a more attractive color for $10 cheaper, seems to me thats the way to go.

So my question is: does anyone have any real world legit comparison information on spectre air filters compared to k&n? I've tried searching not only this site, but google as well, and I can't find any hard data either way, only tons of opinions. And those seem to be 50/50. So if anyone has any experience with both or knows where there are some hard numbers, please let me know.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the spectra filter 4inch by 9 on my f1 BBC while on the dyno we had the filter on and off and I only seen .02 psi drop with the filter straight on the inlet of the charger
I think they are a good filter NO problems here
Old 09-24-2009, 08:02 PM

Dayum! Thats great news for sure, and just the type of feedback I was hoping for How much boost were you running with that test?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

16.6 with 16.8 without that spinning the blower 71000 just over max
Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 PM

Very nice.. thanks for the input
Old 09-25-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not dynoed yet but I run the 4" spectra on my turbo, I'll try to come up with some hard data for you as well, but it seems to flow just fine, and cleans really well too.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:40 AM

Great! Thanks guys. Also, if anyone has any info compared to K&N I'd like to see that as well. Spectre vs open is also a great comparison. Keep em commin guys
Old 09-25-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run one with my setup and no issues. I think they are made well.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I know that the turbo housing likes heat for spool up, but on front mounts the filter is attached to the turbo itself taking in heated air from the engine and headders then going thru the intercooler, trying to cool the intake charge back down, isn't this just defeating the purpose? Has anyone made like a cold air intake setup for the turbo? did it make less boost, did it cause lag?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
I know that the turbo housing likes heat for spool up, but on front mounts the filter is attached to the turbo itself taking in heated air from the engine and headders then going thru the intercooler, trying to cool the intake charge back down, isn't this just defeating the purpose? Has anyone made like a cold air intake setup for the turbo? did it make less boost, did it cause lag?
Not tryin to be an *** here dude, but make your own thread for those questions. This thread is about spectre air filters flow capabilities.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Not tryin to be an *** here dude, but make your own thread for those questions. This thread is about spectre air filters flow capabilities.
You really took the time to write that statement..I just don't understand people like you that just have to respond with a derogatory answer. Yes its about a brand of filter but why not ask about placement of said filter at the same time. Man its like people just read articles and try to find any kind of negative feedback they can give. You typed wrong, You misspelled a word and so on. This forum is "Suppose" to be for constructive answers, but bash on if it makes you feel good..
Old 09-25-2009, 11:51 AM

You really took the time to write that statement..I just don't understand people like you that just have to respond with a derogatory answer. Yes its about a brand of filter but why not ask about placement of said filter at the same time. Man its like people just read articles and try to find any kind of negative feedback they can give. You typed wrong, You misspelled a word and so on. This forum is "Suppose" to be for constructive answers, but bash on if it makes you feel good..
And YOU really took the time to type all this!? I wasn't tryin to be rude man, but since you are butthurt now, go aheaed and GTFO I don't care about placement, and its irrelevant on the topic I originally posted, if you had any comprehension ability, maybe you could understand that. If you wanna know about air filter placement, then by all means, feel free to post your own thread. I promise I won't go into it and clutter it with questions about polishing exhaust tips.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This drifted quick! Chad, you be the guinea pig and let us know .

Point is, ChevyChad posted asking about a ProCharger hat specific filter, not a CAI for a turbo, no bashing that I could see. I'd make a separate thread to ask specifically what you want to know, lots of people read the OP, then answer without looking at other responses so this isn't the best place to get your answer. Please respect the post.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Haha yea, I actually came in to delete my last post after seeing he did make his own thread, but no sense now that its quoted.. I came off harsh, and I don't wanna be known as an *******. But really, I'm not interested in those questions moehorsepower asked..

And yep, I'm gonna go with the spectre and just see how it goes Sounds like 9sectruck had some good results, so I hope I have similar luck with spectre. I was hoping for some more results with firsthand experience, so hopefully this thread hasnt drifted too far off course. I don't need a bunch of mud slinging in here, that wasnt at all my intentions.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:12 PM
12 Second Club

Stop being a ****** crybaby, you came in his thread dumbass. STFU & move on.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Stop being a ****** crybaby, you came in his thread dumbass. STFU & move on.
If you saw you ****** dumbass I DID take his advice and started up a new thread on the subject so just **** YOURSELF you ignorant bastard..I have never posted comments like this but I get so tired of ******** like yourself, Even chevy chad didnt come on like you do..******* puss...
Old 09-25-2009, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

If you saw you ****** dumbass I DID take his advice and started up a new thread on the subject so just **** YOURSELF you ignorant bastard..I have never posted comments like this but I get so tired of ******** like yourself, Even chevy chad didnt come on like you do..******* puss...
LMFAO, you popped your dumbass comments out at my buddy when you were in his thread asking about stuff that doesnt even pertain to what he was askin & then you wanna get mad? LMFAO, your a joke.

You wanna talk big PM me...
Old 09-25-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
LMFAO, you popped your dumbass comments out at my buddy when you were in his thread asking about stuff that doesnt even pertain to what he was askin & then you wanna get mad? LMFAO, your a joke.

You wanna talk big PM me...
PM you, now that's mighty manly of you..OOhhh I'm scared now...
Kids............12.9 Bad WS6.That says it all.....
Old 09-25-2009, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

PM you, now that's mighty manly of you..OOhhh I'm scared now...
Kids............12.9 Bad WS6.That says it all.....
Nope, tryin not to clutter his thread, but your too god damn ignorant to understand. Hence me sayin to send a PM if you wanna flap your **** holder anymore.

You got something to say big man PM me otherwise STFU
Old 09-25-2009, 02:04 PM

oh geez man, he really doesnt get it! doh!

****paging mods... we need a cleanup on aisle 9.. someone spilled bullshit all over the place

lets get this thread back on track please

Quick Reply: Spectre air filters?