Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

$4100 for the LS1 STS Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Burger
Hmmm no expansion tank on the oil return side of the turbo. Are you guys sure such a setup would work?

It's a neat idea though, I'm thinking about mounting a turbo in the back of my C5 now, lol!
All of your questions are answered on the STS site......There is also a dyno. Does it work.....Yes they proved that. Once they do the major field testing (50 kits I am told) I sure they will be able to tweak their system even more. This is why forums get to 3 pages...people keep asking the same ANSWERED questions. If you are so smart about this stuff, why not post things that will help this company better their kit, or develop your own. Stop wasting forum space with negative stuff!

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now....nothing personal.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Restricted User

supersp0rt, I would venture to say you are an exception and not the rule..dont you agree? And until it comes out, and is in the hands of some LSx ppl that know their cars, cant say he wont get more! FWIW, QMP lists the turbo kit at 6999 + 1500 install, yep you got a good deal on a brand new never been ran before, no miles, no hours turbo setup!
Old 12-08-2003, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mark C
if one wanted to duplicate it, I would think it would be relatively easy. I mean, to copy Raymer you'd need a real good place to make the header and the turbo exhaust piping. Not everyone lives next to one of those places, and if you did, it would take a lot of time and money to do one-offs. But this....what are we talking, some exhaust work, some intake pipe, and an oil system. Methanol if you want. Intercooler if you want. And you would be certain it would fit.

If I were inclined to have one of these, I'd just buy the stuff and make it myself.
lol, it's not that easy, if you want to try go ahead but you cant just go buy a T-60 off the shelf and have it work. read the info on the STS site and you will see what i mean.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TimsWS6
All of your questions are answered on the STS site......There is also a dyno. Does it work.....Yes they proved that. Once they do the major field testing (50 kits I am told) I sure they will be able to tweak their system even more. This is why forums get to 3 pages...people keep asking the same ANSWERED questions. If you are so smart about this stuff, why not post things that will help this company better their kit, or develop your own. Stop wasting forum space with negative stuff!

Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now....nothing personal.
I'm by no means a turbo expert, just an engineering minded guy who loves to tinker with cars, who has designed/built a few turbo systems for my own personal use.

Everything I've ever read on the subject says to keep the turbo as close to the exhaust port as possible because hotter exhaust gas (thus under higher pressure, all else being equal), will spool the turbo more efficiently. This STS guy claims that the cooler and denser exhaust gas are more efficient at driving a turbo. Seems like a direct contradiction to me?

I've run turbo scavenging systems before without an accumulator and had major problems, yet this kit has no accumulator, strange isn't it?

This guy claims the long intake piping acts as an intercooler? Is he for real?

His dyno runs are highly suspect (due to altitude correction), and he has GTech times posted on his website. The whole empirical testing process seems incredibly uncredible to this independent party...

Also from my point of view this "turbo system" is really nothing more than an off the shelf turbo with 2-3 custom muffler shop bent exhaust pipes, some off the shelf 2" muffler piping, and a electric oil pump. It's obviously VERY easy for any competent shade tree mechanic to design and build on their own. The hardest part would be finding a good electric scavenging pump, but the Incon guys have already found a great one for around $250. If it appears that a turbo could function so far back from the heat source I'll defiantly (not a misspelling!) give it a shot in my C5.

Terry
Old 12-08-2003, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CAT3
supersp0rt, I would venture to say you are an exception and not the rule..dont you agree?
Nope. $5600 plus roughly $1000 in ancillaries, not including the morons that initially failed to tune my car properly. I'm completely sure THEY do super-duper work on their 60-1 Mustang and TT Vette... or was it a Cobra? Either way they're out of business. Idiots.

Anyway, this is not an exception. After all, the "Q" show didn't declare it mandatory to have them install until some "slack-jaw" idiots proved to the internet universe that they couldn't wrench their collective way out of a bathroom towel bar installation.

I hope you don't believe that someone with moderate wrench skills and WAY less that 20 hours could make it happen.

SC-

PS- What post count gets me to the next level... ANYWAY?
Old 12-08-2003, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS00Blue
PS- What post count gets me to the next level... ANYWAY?
I think you have to stop being an idiot for that to happen. And for the record, Speedworks sold to Livernois Engineering. So Dan millen is probably a moron too then?

-Geoff

Last edited by White_Hawk; 12-08-2003 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Who cares how far away the turbo is from the manifold and yadi yadi yadi the point is that it works and is spooled at full boost at 3300rpm's
Think of it as a pump you could run 400 feet of pipe and a water pump on one side it may take a couple of seconds before the water get to the other side but when it does it there full force as if it where 1 inch away it just might take a little longer to get it started(KInda of dumb but true)
People say the normal kits with single turbo are not at full bost until 3000rpms 300rmps diff no big, deal its a daily driver
Old 12-08-2003, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Who cares how far away the turbo is from the manifold and yadi yadi yadi the point is that it works and is spooled at full boost at 3300rpm's
Think of it as a pump you could run 400 feet of pipe and a water pump on one side it may take a couple of seconds before the water get to the other side but when it does it there full force as if it where 1 inch away it just might take a little longer to get it started(KInda of dumb but true)
In this case heat (exhaust pressure) is the energy that is driving the turbo. by the time the exhaust gets to the end of the pipe its almost gone! Love to hear an expert chime in on the subject... if this works it would be easy for all of us to build our own turbo kits.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

In this case heat (exhaust pressure) is the energy that is driving the turbo. by the time the exhaust gets to the end of the pipe its almost gone! Love to hear an expert chime in on the subject... if this works it would be easy for all of us to build our own turbo kits.

__________________Well if the (exhaust pressure) is almost gone that how in the hell do you get 509rwhp from the rear mounted turbo on 8psi bone stock motor sence your the EXPERT on this subject!!! Thanks for the Bashing me Too!! I love to hear an A-Hole chime in on the subject
Old 12-08-2003, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Well if the (exhaust pressure) is almost gone that how in the hell do you get 509rwhp from the rear mounted turbo on 8psi bone stock motor sence your the EXPERT on this subject!!!
The dyno numbers have bullshit correction figures in them. Take it to sea level and get some real numbers, if the car can make it that far without spewing engine oil all over the place due to a poor oiling system..
Old 12-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Launching!

Guys, Berger, Blue, and Shape are bringing up some pretty good points. They might not phrase in the way you like, but there's a lot of valid stuff.

I'm very curious to see how this works on someone's car at low altitude. It's not comparable to altitude numbers. I did read their website, and it bothers me. Don't get me wrong, I understand that anyone who's selling something is going to amplify their strengths and downplay their weaknesses, but there is some just plain wrong claims being made.

It may very well work fine. But there are compromises. People who are considering this kit should get the pros and cons, then wait and see. I got a lot of great info from this and from LS1.com before i got my kit. Oh, and it was $5,000 with install, and I could run 5psi on the stock tune because it came with a rising rate regulator, an intake pump, and I have a '98 with the 28lb injectors.

I do know this, if it makes more than 420 rwhp, that will overwhelm a stock fuel system that has 26lb injectors. Plain and simple, no getting around it. The engine will blow for lack of fuel volume. And the methanol is not adding any appreciable amount of fuel. To get to 500 rwhp on that fuel system would mean adding well over 100lb/hr of methanol.

The people who made deposits. Don't let that get in the way of listening to some people who have been there and done that. Turn the boost up real slow, and see how it goes.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:17 PM
On The Tree

Lukes LT1 is the car that everyone has a Video of i has seen the car and he has had no problems with it he is here in south florida
Marc I have 42# injectors
Fuel pump 255
6.0 heads
Getting dyno tunned
I can crank up the boost to a safe 8 psi

Quick Reply: $4100 for the LS1 STS Kit