Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Shorty Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Shorty Spark Plugs

Well I have probably answered my own question but just in case someone has found some that work. I am going turbo and my Plug boot for the #5 cylinder is jammed up against the headder pipe. I did a search, People were claiming that they have used Champions, Autolites and NGK plugs that are as short as the Accell Brand, They even give part numbers. But I called all of the above manufactures and they all said that they do not make a short style plug equavallent to the Accells. Some of the part numbers given were shorter threads meaning the plug is now not fully into the combustion chamber. So does anyone actually know of a spark plug that is as short as the Accells? If so can you give me the name and brand..The reason I don't want to use the Accells is because everyone that uses them say they do not last and I used them back in the day and the same results. I was constantly changing out the plugs in my big block..and of course the #5 is the worst plug to get to. Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can use LT1 universal fit plug wires. the coil end is the same as LS1s and you have an option of getting them with 90* plug ends.

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Well I have probably answered my own question but just in case someone has found some that work. I am going turbo and my Plug boot for the #5 cylinder is jammed up against the headder pipe. I did a search, People were claiming that they have used Champions, Autolites and NGK plugs that are as short as the Accell Brand, They even give part numbers. But I called all of the above manufactures and they all said that they do not make a short style plug equavallent to the Accells. Some of the part numbers given were shorter threads meaning the plug is now not fully into the combustion chamber. So does anyone actually know of a spark plug that is as short as the Accells? If so can you give me the name and brand..The reason I don't want to use the Accells is because everyone that uses them say they do not last and I used them back in the day and the same results. I was constantly changing out the plugs in my big block..and of course the #5 is the worst plug to get to. Thanks
Old 12-01-2009, 06:27 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks but I don't think that will still work, I am using 90* boots. As of now, you can barely get your finger tip between the tip of the spark plug and the headder pipe..
Old 12-01-2009, 06:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

picture?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fireball
picture?
Good Idea, The motor is in another town, I will see if my mech can send me a pic...Thanks
Old 12-01-2009, 02:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

My DIY MSD wires had a 90 option at the plug. Seemed like a fairly tight boot too.

Or you could modify the header tube for more clearance, which would be a better long term idea.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

90's are too sharp of a bend. I know this becaue I tried.
Im using the 115* angle without issue now. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8853/

Or, the 180 straight MSD boots can be bent to whatever angle you need. Hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks all, If I had a pic like Fireball suggested you would see what I mean, It doesn't matter on the bend of the boot, all of them will hit the headder, as of now you can only get the tip of your finger between the spark plug (No Boot) and the headder pipe. I just mailed Jon at LT1 Boost and he said he may be able to modify that one primary tube, I will still post up some pics as soon as I can..Thanks again..

Quick Reply: Shorty Spark Plugs