Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Va Speed. We'd like to apologize.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see where ya'll are coming from with the customer service aspect. You definitely have the skills their and that's been proven. I have first hand experience with your tuner there, Ed, who knows his ****.

But just out of curiosity, would you spec out a cam for a customer but not give the customer the specs of the cam unless they also buy a motor? Then atleast you still profit from the cam purchase.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:52 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
I see where ya'll are coming from with the customer service aspect. You definitely have the skills their and that's been proven. I have first hand experience with your tuner there, Ed, who knows his ****.

But just out of curiosity, would you spec out a cam for a customer but not give the customer the specs of the cam unless they also buy a motor? Then atleast you still profit from the cam purchase.
$30-$40 in profit does not cover 8-10 years of research and development. We're not talking about 400-600hp NA or turbo motors as I am sure if the guy was building a street combo Shawn would have sold him a street cam without any reserve.

I have heard that Proline no longer sells cams for engines that are at the top of the food chain unless they build them.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $10 I can get any cam put on a cam doctor and it will tell you exactly what the specs are.
So selling it without specs is useless really.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Proline doesn't sell cams...unless you buy a motor.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Bottom line is the wealth of knowledge that comes with the team comes with a small cost as it does with anyone at the top of the pack. I know I could have saved money going through someone else and shopping prices for the cheapest place around but I'll pay more for people that have the knowledge. I'm more than happy to spend money with Shawn @ Virginia Speed and Brian(Madman) because I know when I need the info that no one else will give out, I can call them on the weekend to get the right answer.

Keep up the awesome work!
thanks for the props, phil!!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been here also and understand the thoughts behind this. Cams are not magic, but time and effort along with broken parts goes along with finding out what works on the pavement, and that info is not something you want to give away. Spinning a dyno up with a big number and going fast/winning rounds takes a different thought process. If Shawn at VS or Erik at HKE tell you something is going to work you can believe them, there may be others that are sponsors on this board also that have recipes that work, but these are the two I know. Not many are willing to share info, and you can't blame them if you are in this game. Also people like Phil for Shawn and the Ohio boys for me are an unbeliavable resource in letting us try out new things to see if we can find that ever changing advantage in a cut throat racing game.

Kurt
Originally Posted by 98Camarod

Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Shawn, you guys keep doing what your doing. Your client's cars show what you guys are capable of. BUT customer service is a huge key in being successful. No matter how well you treat everyone, there will always be one person(a wear out as we like to call them here) who gets pissy b/c you didn't spend 4 hours talking with them about a $20 part or their dream suspension, engine combo etc. I'm sure you guys know that you have to treat every customer as if they're a millionaire and want to spend it all with you and respect every question.

I run a fairly large accessory store and we do a ton of lift kits, lowering etc. I used to feel bad about being short, or forthcoming to customers about how to make a certain combo work. I don't anymore, why should I help them do it own their own especially when they tell me where they've gotten their parts from. That's a slap in the face. We've all worked hard over the years to perfect our craft and reputation for putting out top notch work.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
You better start selling your body or something for some cash,i got a c5r headed 427 with a 106 coming out soon that makes your stuff look like kiddie toys
I heard something about this.

Hey Shawn, will you sell me a cam?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo'd stang
i kinda like you guys now.....i have respect for a place that isn't out there whoring their stuff to the cheapest bidder. I say you guys did right by not selling some joe a cam.

These guys just wanting cams seriously just need to call comp, cam motion or bullet and get one from them. Think about it. Shawn and these guys have spent years developing their cams. If you think you should be able to call them up and have that info gifted to you....your smoking crack. You don't race much. That isn't the way it works.
What? I called and talked with Shawn today to buy a cam for my turboed 408. He was very respectful and answered all my questions, and I had plenty. I unfortunatly already spent 12,000 dollars on my long blocked 408 before I knew anything about Virgina Speed. I need the right cam for my combo, and thats it for now. I am willing to spend the $400 for the cam, heck for the perfect cam from them I am willing to spend $600 for the cam alone. Would the extra $200 be worth the time and effort? My point is maybe a speced cam for a combo should cost more then the regulare price. I know nothing about specing a cam, but i am willing to pay extra to a pro for the right cam. Shawn did by the way sell me a cam and a few other parts today.

Shawn, if you want to take me up on my offer, PM me and I will gladly, no will be more then grateful to pay you extra to spec my cam specificaly for my combo if you feel like a special attention cam would be better for me then the one I ordered. Or better yet call me, you have my number because I ordered from you today, the name is Donald in Hobbs NM.

I for one do not know everything but I am not scared to pay for what I do not know.

Last edited by Texas_WS6; 12-29-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

I just had a LS7 block with L92 heads built by Shawn, and he was always very helpful with answering questions. Ed will tune the car once the motor is in, and I feel very comfortable that the motor was done right!

Now that they are dealing with upgrading the front counter guys, they will only get better!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Shawn - do you guys have any sound bites/videos for your VTC series of cams? The VTC4 in particular? I'll be calling you guys within the next week to buy my cam.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
What? I called and talked with Shawn today to buy a cam for my turboed 408. He was very respectful and answered all my questions, and I had plenty. I unfortunatly already spent 12,000 dollars on my long blocked 408 before I knew anything about Virgina Speed. I need the right cam for my combo, and thats it for now. I am willing to spend the $400 for the cam, heck for the perfect cam from them I am willing to spend $600 for the cam alone. Would the extra $200 be worth the time and effort? My point is maybe a speced cam for a combo should cost more then the regulare price. I know nothing about specing a cam, but i am willing to pay extra to a pro for the right cam. Shawn did by the way sell me a cam and a few other parts today.

Shawn, if you want to take me up on my offer, PM me and I will gladly, no will be more then grateful to pay you extra to spec my cam specificaly for my combo if you feel like a special attention cam would be better for me then the one I ordered. Or better yet call me, you have my number because I ordered from you today, the name is Donald in Hobbs NM.

I for one do not know everything but I am not scared to pay for what I do not know.
Well said, I choose to be in a service business 32 years ago had very few customers would go out of my way to talk to anyone i might do work for,i still feel the same way, BUT now i might charge a little more for my time an advise. Customer that know your work DON"T mind paying so long as they are not getting screwed Personally I've never talked to Shawn BUT I have no problem with him from what I"Ve seen he goes out his way to help.Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shawn/Ed - I left a message with your new front desk guy last week about a quote for a catbcack swap on my new vert and/or how much to just remove my stockers in one piece. I haven't heard anything back as of yet. I know it's small potatos compared to motor builds etc., but still.

I don't have a lift and I want to remove the oem catback in one piece to save. I have Corsa Extremes with new gaskets and new hardware ready to go. The car is 100% stock, no funny business to deal with, just drop the swaybar loose from the cradle and go to town.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Ordered my Virginia Speed cam yesterday and got great response from their customer service. Give me some time to get my Nova all together with the 408 and I'll post up some video.

1/25 Edit:
Here is my experience with Virginia Speed's "revised" customer support.
1/18 (Mon) Ordered cam and lifters; called me back to let me know the order was complete
1/20 (Wed) got a tracking email from Fedex
1/22 (Fri) Received cam and lifters at my house
1/23 (Sat) Installed and degreed cam
1/15 (Mon) Got a phone call from Virginia Speed to verify I received my order and in good condition!

Any questions as to them being serious about customer service now? Thanks Virginia Speed.

Last edited by Chevy406; 01-25-2010 at 12:58 PM. Reason: my cam ordering experience