Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

NEW! Dual-Flash PCMs run 2 seperate tunes in one PCM!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NEW! Dual-Flash PCMs run 2 seperate tunes in one PCM!

I posted this in some other sections; I don't know why I didn't post it here before now...

The Dual Flash PCM is an exciting advance in the Generation III tuning arsenal based on the Dual Flash boards from OmniTuner. We all know how incredibly capable these factory PCMs are at controlling all types of setups (with custom MAF, 1, 2, and 3 bar operating systems) and now with the ability to store and use TWO COMPELTELY separate calibration files that are chosen at the flip of a switch by the driver, they are stepping into territory that even standalone controllers do not tread through.

We open up good, tested, core PCMs and remove the surface-mount flash memory chip. It is replaced by a board header and a custom board (made by Digital Inflection Corporation) that has TWO flash chips already installed. The switching (or tune selection) is accomplished very easily. We assign an unused PCM pin to carry the switch circuit to the board. Included with the PCM is either a harness terminal or a pre-terminated wire that simply plugs into an un-used hole in the PCM's harness. With the car off, if this wire is grounded, one calibration is selected. If the ground is opened up (floating), the PCM will boot with the second calibration loaded. The finished PCMs are thoroughly tested.

Outside boxes and 'trickery' for nitrous and boost tuning are a thing of the past. Their reliability pales in comparison to the proven technology of our PCMs, and we have made them better. Some obvious applications include:

Nitrous tuning:
Run a peak N/A tune and then switch over to your nitrous calibration. Run a single stage of nitrous on one calibration and two stages of nitrous with race fuel on the second flash. This is a very useful application because as many of you may already know, to keep cars shifting in the same place with added nitrous often includes lowering commanded shift points. These shift points now work with nitrous, but cause the car to shift too early N/A. There are many more possibilities and combinations.

Boost tuning:
Run a 'street' or pump-gas tune in one calibration, flip your switch and get a more aggressive AFR and spark map for use with race fuel. Turbo cars can use the switch to not only switch tunes, but to also switch MAP sensors. Run a safe 2bar tune with optimal VE resolution on pump gas; flip the switch and change over to a 3bar MAP sensor and tune for higher boost at the track. Again, the track (or "all-out") tune could contain a more aggressive timing, shifting, and AFR schedule.

Economy tuning:

Use the second flash chip to switch to "economy mode" for fuel savings for trips or for alternate fuels such as E85!

These PCMs will sell for $475 without core exchange. If sending back a working PCM, a $100 core charge will be refunded. That is correct, these units are $375 with exchange (or to convert your current PCM). They also include a pre-terminated and soldered Micro Pack 100w terminal that clicks right into your PCM harness with 10' of automotive (TXL) wire to run to your selector switch. If you already have a solid tune, but like the idea, we can move your tune over to both of the boards. You can take your car to your tuner, select the second side, and have him reprogram it. In some cases, the programming changes can be done here on the bench for an additional fee. This is available for [512K and 1M PCMs] 99-02 Fbodies, 99-04 Vettes, 04 GTO, 04-05 CTS V, and most GenIII based trucks. For any inquiries, please use the contact form on my website (http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/contact.php) or send me a PM.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

will these keep the same ID #? IE will the same license from hptuners work on the 2nd flash chip?

or would we have to license another id?

ps whens the ls2 e40 pcm coming?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:11 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

I'm not an expert at all when it comes to tuning, so please excuse my question if it is really dumb... But I have heard that a truck PCM with a ‘tow/haul’ mode can be used to control 2 different tunes as well, you would just maybe have to re-pin the connectors where the harness plugs into the PCM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

i like this. very nice!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I'm not an expert at all when it comes to tuning, so please excuse my question if it is really dumb... But I have heard that a truck PCM with a ‘tow/haul’ mode can be used to control 2 different tunes as well, you would just maybe have to re-pin the connectors where the harness plugs into the PCM.
No that just gives you two separate shift schedules for the trans, not two calibrations.

Originally Posted by toretto
will these keep the same ID #? IE will the same license from hptuners work on the 2nd flash chip?

or would we have to license another id?

ps whens the ls2 e40 pcm coming?

If you mail in your PCM for service, I can clone the flash chip on your PCM to both of those on the dual flash board and HPTuner's SHOULD be good as far as licensing goes.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

It's definitely cool that this is available, but it's definitely not cutting edge. They were doing this in the 90's.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

So I can run Nitrous and then flip the switch and run on NA?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is too cool
Old 12-14-2009, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

Very cool idea, Frost!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Banned

so can you have like a e-85 turn. and then if i get to a town that doesnt ahve e-85 i can have a 91 tune?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:19 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Originally Posted by Frost
No that just gives you two separate shift schedules for the trans, not two calibrations.
ah ok.. thanks for the clarification.. This is definitely a great option. I would use one for meth, and one for pump gas if I were to do this!

One more question.. Can the tune be switched while the car is running? Or would you need to turn it off, then flip the switch and restart?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1x2
It's definitely cool that this is available, but it's definitely not cutting edge. They were doing this in the 90's.
No one modded LS1 PCMs like this in the 90s or even a few years ago, and I don't know of another approach doing the same for them now.

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
ah ok.. thanks for the clarification.. This is definitely a great option. I would use one for meth, and one for pump gas if I were to do this!

One more question.. Can the tune be switched while the car is running? Or would you need to turn it off, then flip the switch and restart?
The calibration switching is done with the car off.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Default ok

I also put together a solution for this; however, I never really did much with it as I didn't think the demand was there. I'm not really interested in prefabbing to PCM's; however, if there is interest in the 2 in 1 circuits that you would install yourself, could probably start selling these for a pretty decent cost savings.....

http://www.charlescbeyer.com/Telemat...dScientist.jpg

In theory, you can switch these over 'hot' and the circuit will wait for a 'dead time' in memory access; however, I would never recommend doing that while driving........
Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

No one modded LS1 PCMs like this in the 90s or even a few years ago, and I don't know of another approach doing the same for them now.

The calibration switching is done with the car off.
The Duramax boys are doing this with 5 tune capability I believe. Freakin awesome that it's available on this platform now.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Right. This was done with lt1 pcm's.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

very very cool news. I'm going turbo in 2010 and switching from E85 to 91 octane will be a huge bonus for long distance driving!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

Frost, this is excellent, very reasonably priced for the comfort you get back in return. I'll take this route if I ever build the courage to fill up with some race fuel and turn the **** on the boost controller
Old 12-14-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think he means even before the LS1. My 87 Grand national had a dial that i could rotate to switch between tunes

Quick Reply: NEW! Dual-Flash PCMs run 2 seperate tunes in one PCM!