Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATI Cog set up is here!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope the vortech pulleys have a different shaft diameter, me and my bro tried to put the vortech pulley on my D1 and it wouldn't fit.

Hi Sean, I cruised by your shop the other day on the way home from Todd's shop. Looks good. Didn't look like anyone was there so I kept cruising. I just want to see my car run again, between this little set back with the cogs and Ed W screwing up my tune and me loosing my job and the courts wanting to throw me in jail for doing a freakin burnout(currently fighting that), I just want something to work right or go right from here on out

Bos you will sell them Put them on ebay or somewhere, I know how you feel, I have a block, heads and crankshaft that I have been trying to unload and nobody wants them
JMerry Christmas All
Old 12-25-2003, 03:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin Good J Merry christmas man...... Merry christmas to all.
Kyle
Old 12-25-2003, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, eventually I will find a buyer who wants 8 rib stuff......
Old 12-30-2003, 03:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Any new news J?????????
Later
Kyle
Old 12-30-2003, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Nope I have to wait until the Jan 5th, ASP is closed until then. I will ship the crank cog back on the 3rd so it gets there right when they open. I am shipping my PCM out today, I found another place to tune it. I hope this new place does a good job.Its PCMsforless.com, Bryan@pcmforless responded to each email right away and gave me great feedback on his tuning and he is confident that he can get the car tuned right. I just want to drive the frickin thing again.
I just hope that ASP gets on it right away and doesn't let me rot for 3weeks or something that would suck.
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 12-30-2003 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

damn J that sucks. I have to deal with my tuning also when i get my motor in. Ill be trailering it to MTI so it should be ok. I hope they can get it tuned in one day. Let me know how its going and how your X-mas was. PM me. Later,
Kyle
Old 01-09-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh No!
Old 01-09-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Had to bring it back to the top
Got the crank cog back today about 15 min ago, ASP rocks for getting this back to me within the week, they got the cog back on wed and I got em back friday morning

The All Important Spacer

S/C Cog with spacer..ahhh the clearance

The size and hopefully strength diff between a 1/4 dowel and a 5/16 dowel

Mock up on my old thrashed crank pulley, I wanted to make sure the 5/16 dowels cleared the hub of the pulley and would fit, so far so good.

OH NO Looks Damn Good

Now time to get em on the car. Some specifics, I had Lee@ASP redrill the crank cog for 5/16 SS dowels, I feel these would stronger than the 1/4 dowels that the ATI crank pulleys come with.
The spacer fits tight and perfect, spaces the cog out just enough. Took a straight edge to the s/c cog w/belt on it and to the inside lip of the tensioner and its dead on, but I will have to wait till I have it on the car to see if it lines up properly.
But now the bad news, the PCM is still on its way and won't be here until monday so I won't be able to fire her up until then
Just an update,
J
Damn look at how many views this thread has->

Last edited by frcefed98; 02-17-2004 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Looking good, keeping my fingers crossed for success........
Old 01-09-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

awesome!! If this really works for you it could open a lot of doors for people. You could really see the power potential of the D1SC with this setup!

Hopefully the belts will hold up on slicks!
Old 01-09-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

**** UPDATE
Well got it all up on the car two minor problems one that I have to fix and one ASP has to fix.
First the ASP issue

As you can see the clearance between the two are tight, too tight for my taste.

Another view from straight ahead.

All up with all spacers installed.

The clearance is just not there, I know once on the car is running the two will hit because of the slight flex of the bracket. I put it all up and found there was no clearance between the s/c cog and the alt pulley at all. So I took the s/c off and forgot that I had left the ATI spacer on the shaft of the D1, so I took that off and reassembled the whole shebang and the outcome is shown in the photos above. close but no cigar.
On to my problem, Lee told me from the get go that this is a set up required fabbing up some stuff, I can see where I will be having one problem. The crank cog is hitting the tranny lines, I have even pulled them foward and tie 'em with wire ties but no dice, they still hit. So I will cut them right at the oil pan and run the lines directly to the radiator. Why GM chose to snake them around the damn crank pulley is beyond me. Small problem but well within reason, I was having clearance issues with the MMS CP and the tranny lines, but with I was able to hold them out of the way with wire ties. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

So I will stop here and wait for what Lee@ASP has to say.

Chris, I am sure these cog belts will hold up to slicks, they are pretty beefy. They are about as wide as a 8 rib.
J

Last edited by frcefed98; 02-17-2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Have you spaced the blower back yet, I know when I was running my 8 rib setup my blower pulley was really close to my alt. pulley, so we had to move the whole blower back to line up the pulleys so they were 100% square dead on........

Sikora has a lot of machines where he will be doing the install of this, so if we need to make sudden changes he can always cut things down to clear or make a spacer for what we need.........hopefully I don't have to move the blower back even farther this time around, its already snug agains't the radiator.....
Old 01-09-2004, 04:11 PM
8 Second Club

here's my thought on what you can do about the supercharger cog:
you can either machine the cog just enough to clear the alternator,
or
you can space the blower or blower bracket away from the block. i had this problem with the regular 8 rib pulleis, all i did was throw in a washer behind each bracket standoff and no clearance issues.

it's just what i think, i know that asp should have thought about it when they built this kit, but if you are tired of waiting for them to fix it, try the above.

on a side note, that setup looks cool!
i'm so close to bitting the bullet and ordering after seeing your setup.

good luck.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:11 PM
8 Second Club

hah! big bos beat me to it!
Old 01-09-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

BOS and Dirty HA HA, both of you had to do what just I recommended to Lee, put spacers between the standoffs. That is a quick and easy solution. How thick of a spacer/washer should I put on the standoffs. Lee wants to machine the cog slightly. Good idea but the tensioner pulley hits the stock LS1 accessory belt. So washers at the standoffs are about the quickest easiest solution(cheap and local too) to this problem. They would clear the acc. belt, alt pulley and everything should line up. Damn I love how tinkering minds think alike.
J
Old 01-09-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sikora has a lot of machines where he will be doing the install of this, so if we need to make sudden changes he can always cut things down to clear or make a spacer for what we need.........hopefully I don't have to move the blower back even farther this time around, its already snug agains't the radiator.....
Fu@K I hate living in this city. I have myself to figure most of this stuff out, I wish I had access to a shop like that around here but there are none. We had a local guy who did all sort of automotive machining from his own shop but he accidently killed himself while wiring up a machine. Kasey Hammonds R.I.P
You guys are quite lucky to have the sikoras and a big shops to go to, don't take em for granted.
J
Old 01-09-2004, 06:15 PM
8 Second Club

big shops?
all i have "locally" is a die grinder and a drill.if i really need it, my machinist is about 40 miles on the exact opposite side of town and he does all his work out of his home's garage.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

J - Contact OrangeHuggerSS he has had the ASP cogs on his car for months.

oh and also I have to space out my blower for my 8 rib setup.

see pic. you will see the brass colored washers that space things out. please note, this pic things are NOT fully aligned yet but you get the idea...

Old 01-09-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Blackbird, does OrangeHuggerSS visit LS1tech? If not I am banned from LS1.com so if you can get ahold of him for me that would be great or even get me his email that would be awesome. Those washers look like the ticket, I am sure I will need two per stand off, but a little trial and error will get it.

Dirty thats why I quoted BOS and not you I was talking about my living here in Albuquerque. I do what I can with what I have, its got me pretty far. I have about as many tools as you too So to all those that have excellent LS1 shops or shops like the Sikoras use their expertise to the fullest. If I had that opportunity I doubt my car would have sat for as long as it has. Now back to getting this thing straight, how many washers did you use per stand off, you to bos-how many? Thickness of washer? to the both of you for always helping me out, Dirty you have always help me with a ton of questions I've had with my ATI kit, Thanks Man. I didn't mean any harm with the quote in my previous post
J
Old 01-09-2004, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

banned???

well that explains alot. I was wondering this whole time why you had not just gotten all the details from him. he has literally had the cogs setup for a good 4-5 months now. maybe longer.

here is his email.

fasthuggerss@yahoo.com

he is making 600rwhp with a P1 and the cogs!

you have BIG hp coming your way my friend

Quick Reply: ATI Cog set up is here!