Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What coatings are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What coatings are you guys using?

I am about to start on my truck manifold build. I will be making this out of mild steel. I would not wrap it due to the factor and also because it would prob collect moisture and rot the pipes. That being said, what coatings are you guys using? How is it holding up? What was the cost when all is said and done? thanks!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use DEI Titanium wrap its waterproof and keeps the heat down substantially. Otherwise just some black ceramic coating works well. Im getting my headers done as we speak. Im getting mine done by a start up company locally so they are costing me 60$.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, i am not going to wrap it, IMO it looks horrible. Show and go here
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jt76
Yeah, i am not going to wrap it, IMO it looks horrible. Show and go here
woot woot thats what i like to hear
Old 01-17-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28adiction
woot woot thats what i like to hear
F show, the more people know about my ride, the fewer races I'll get. I'll do what it takes to make the set-up run more efficiently. Granted I understand the way it might look to you, but hey... that wrap will help BIG time for the amount it costs... then again the coating is better because it lasts longer, but the cost is larger as well...
Old 01-17-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see what you are saying, however i am of the belief that you can have something functional and look great at the same time. I love my stuff to look clean. My old setup was clean and so shall this one! My car will be sneaky for about one night, word spreads fast around here, so no use in trying to hide anything lol.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I see what you are saying, however i am of the belief that you can have something functional and look great at the same time. I love my stuff to look clean. My old setup was clean and so shall this one! My car will be sneaky for about one night, word spreads fast around here, so no use in trying to hide anything lol.
I hear ya
Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My whole kit is coated and I plan on wrapping everything except the headers. Most of the other hot side you cannot even see in a F body anyhow unless its a show car that spends its life with mirrors under the chassis. Coating and wrap works very well. Really cuts down on underhoad temps.

My kit runs a hot side charge pipe right over the rack where the boot is and its also right next to the passenger side motor mount. Without wrap I could see the motor mount melting and the boot as well.

This is coming from someone who has a show quality engine, polished and stainless steel everywhere. To each his own though. See if it works! Oh and now I use Jet-Hot. One of the best for coatings! Not cheap.

Last edited by 355TurboLT1; 01-18-2010 at 12:25 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 01-18-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

i dont have a turbo, but Procharger, after making up all the tubes to/from the intercooler, i take them up and have the header coating put on them, they charge around $12 a foot-usually he just quotes a price and doesnt meas, so its cheap enough-when i was gonna go turbo, i was goint to take all that stuff up, manifolds and all-after it goes thru the shaker, it shines pretty good(poor mans chrome)
the place is right up the street from me, so a whole lot easier than having to mail it out
years ago i had some pipes chromed, the copper coating was inside the tubes, would flake off, go right in the engine-i never had any chromed after that
Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 PM
9 Second Club

Wrap keeps the heat in better in my experience with wraps and coatings over the several turbo kits I've had.

PS--Black wrap done well looks pimp too
Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

My manifolds were done by jet hot inside and out black. Looks good, i don't know how well it will hold up? I only have about 2k miles on the kit! So far no problems!
Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

swain tech the best bar none,on the price got me to be truthful i wasn't sweating the cost

Quick Reply: What coatings are you guys using?