Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear mount gto build. :) LQx REBUILD TO COME

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAX04
so what type of line are we recommending inside the tank then??
The ONLY line that I know of that is actually certified for inside the tank use is the SAE 30r10 that I have in there now. It says submersible on the hose and it also claims to be "multi-fuel" capable. Doesn't specifically say Ethanol but... It only comes in 1' lengths which sucks. There is some business on the web that has a roll of hose that they claim is almost 30r10. I can't remember who right now. If my SS fails I will be replacing it with 5/16 steel brake line. I got lots of practice bending and flaring that stuff with the turbo oil feed and I'm tired of screwing around with doubt about rubber hose.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just run hard line and flare or compression fittings to connect it to the pump(s)?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Well the oem bucket has plastic fittings you need to connect too. I'd leave all that stuff stock. The in-tank walbros have a shaft with a nipple on the end specifically to clamp hose onto. The only way I can think of to do hard line all the way would be to use an external pump inside the tank because they have threaded fittings made onto them. It'd be worth the piece of mind though for the extra $30 cost in pump.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, its been awhile since i actually got to post some Good or Decent news.

I spent some time this evening redoing my top charge pipe, i removed the MAF and 2 joints.

On top of this, i cut a piece of 3" pipe about 1" wide, then cut a 3" coupler about 1" wide and inserted the piece of pipe into the cut coupler, making it larger, thats the idea. I then inserted into my silicone 90* bend at the throttle body and put a GOOD tbolt around it. Very tightly. Fired her up and cracked the throttle WOT about 10 times, didnt budge, and bend did not collapse like it was before!!!!!!!!!! Took her for a and wow, what a difference it makes when the intake doesnt collapse when you stand on the throttle, THE CAR ACTUALLY TAKES OFF!!!!! who wouldve thunk it, lol

NEXT: Spool was improved, but not what i was hoping for, But i noticed driving next to a bridge, Why can i hear my exhaust like its next to my head. HMMM

when i get back i decide to atleast lie down on the ground and listen to the exhaust joints while the car is running, HOLY ****!!

It would seem that if the bolts are not in the flange, it doesnt matter how many gaskets you have in there ITS GOING TO LEAK LIKE A SIV! And it does.

So im going to drive my car to work tomorrow and put her up on the lift and put some grade 8 bolts and nuts on there with some washers and lock washers. If all this doesnt work, its getting welded together and END OF STORY!

so, now onto my question of the night, why is my exhaust orange??

Seems like ever since i switched to E85 its had an orange tint to it. oh well.

but i will hopefully have better news tomorrow. For now, i have a slight feeling of accomplishment. Except for the stupid bolts not being in the exhaust flanges, i do wonder why.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bolts can rattle loose if they don't have lock washers. My damn motorcycle oil drain bolt rattled loose a couple days ago. Luckily a buddy at work noticed the oil under the bike and let me know. It leaked about half a quart out. Luckily I didn't blow my motor or loose it on a corner with oil going on the back tire. Time to lockwire that b*tch.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

well fixed some stuff, but im positive i still have some boost leaks as the clamps suck and i did alot of yanking and beating on it. well, as of today, the exhaust is fixed (3 gaskets in each side with copper silicone between them all), the vaccum leak was found and fixed, and the silicone 90 is fixed.

after about an hour or so of tuning, mark was able to achieve something that hasnt been achieved since the goat fired up. SPOOL. it spools fairly quickley after it hits 2-3 lbs it rockets to 7. Pulls like a damn animal, ****! Im sure with some more tuning and tweaking and fixing the boost leaks, this thing will spool much faster.

Viewing his logs of tuning, he actually hit 190 KPA on the highway, has me a little concerned. But its my fault for not having a boost controller and using alot of wastegate springs.

i actually love my car again, lol. Video is a quick 40 romp on my way home. nothing special.
lol.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep at it man. She will be a beast for sure when you are done. Then you'll want to change something, lol.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TurboAv
Keep at it man. She will be a beast for sure when you are done. Then you'll want to change something, lol.
Well i wasnt going to post much about this issue, But oh well.

Was out driving my car, and boosting around, well, assuming my **** was working correctly, and after tuning.

i was viewing my logs of having fun, AFR was on the money all the time. (hit 190kpa, when its been consitantly opening at 8-9lbs)

get back, open hood. OIL everywhere. ok, some blow by. no big deal. well. i decide to leave hood open and watch under hood as i start the car. Hmmm.. ideling, there is moisture and oil just blowing out my vented covers. hmmmm.

now the car runs fine, but it would seem as if there is a rediculous amount of blow by all the sudden.

it was nothing to see some oil before, but now. OIL. holy ****. really let me know that my PCV setup sucked, or i should say, lack there of.

anyways, motor ideling, and hand over oil filler neck, i can clearly feel pressure coming out. so im guessing we have some issues here. Leak down and compression results to follow soon

Last edited by JAX04; 08-19-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats the exact reason im keeping my timing down in the teens, sounds like you broke a ring land
Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
thats the exact reason im keeping my timing down in the teens, sounds like you broke a ring land

was my thoughts exactly. Going through the logs, it pegged 190kpa like 10 times for a couple seconds each time. one of two things is wrong. Either my boost gauge is wrong, or my MAP is reading incorrectly. Either way, oil is pissing like no tomorrow. and im building this LQx now

Going to do leak down test this weekend, But im sure it will only confirm what i assume is the issue already.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have not much cash, you could just do a 5.3/6.0 with upgraded rod bolts and head bolts.

If you keep your motor and the cylinders aren't scored that deep you may be able to just do a hone. Then new pistons and rods.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

thats the plan brother. 6.0 is already gotten and searching for rods and pistons at this exact moment.

want to stay above 9.5:1 though with my 241 heads i will be reusing for the time being, or i can use a set of 5.3 heads that i have at my disposal. not sure about engine building, havent gotten to far in depth with learning the different CCs of the different combustion chambers, etc.

so looks like i have a whole new world to explore. lol
Old 08-20-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

-11cc piston on the 241 should give you around 9.8, or if you go with 317 it would put you around 9.4 all 40thou gasket, do a least arp 2000 on the rods so there are no worrys down the road
Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

i need to learn how to calculate compression so i can do this, lol. i just found a set of -25 cc weisco pistons, but i was thinking that would completley ruin my compression

EDIT:

You know the real bummer here, i have to upgrade my turbo now

Last edited by JAX04; 08-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm using a -16cc piston with 63cc heads and I'm around 9.3-9.4:1.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

well, the whole compression thing is a killer to me. I dont want my engine to be a dog outside boost, So with that said, im not sure where i want to be,

i am staying on the corn juice, so thats not an issue. i dont know, ill go spend some time in the Gen3 section and do some reading.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Steel Chicken on the GTO boards runs corn juice in his beast with a TVS2300. He also tunes with HP Tuners. Hit him up with what compression you should run.

My uneducated vote goes for 10:1 even. High enough to be good off boost, but low enough you could run regular gas in a pinch if you had to with lower boost and still make good power..
Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

10:1 is where i want to be. Guess i need to just call a couple places and tell them what i have and what i want and what rods im going to use.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you put a check valve in line with the vent hose that comes out of the tb near the iac valve?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

yes is did sir. my buddies are telling me that im being rediulously paranoid and that i shouldnt get to bent out of shape until we do a compression test and leak down test tomorrow.

So, we shall see. i will report back then. my pcv setup is crappy, for the moment, its just a can between the valve cover and valley with a check valve, and the others are vented.

will be redoing that stuff this weekend. Ill need a good setup regardless of the situation.

Quick Reply: Rear mount gto build. :) LQx REBUILD TO COME