Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rear mount gto build. :) LQx REBUILD TO COME

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There must be something wrong with your wastegate. No amount of small pinhole type leaks would keep the boost down. I have plenty of those and can easily get 20# of boost. I referance my boost from the compressor housing also...just easier with it being in the back.

I run 22-23 degrees timing at all boost levels. I start pulling timing, 4d, when IAT go over 160 since I have no intercooler.

I used to worry about my return pump all the time also. I even carried an extra with me on a long trip once. You won't have to pull over to check it if it goes out. It'll start smoking like a train within 1 minute. You dont have a warning alarm set up for it??? I tryed to build one but it never worked right.

Are you guys saying the Shurflo is so quite you cant hear it? My old Flojet made a lot of noise. I use an external Walbro fuel pump as a return now and it is quite.

Last edited by ericwilloughby; 06-30-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eric, i believe you are maybe right about the wastegate, it does sound like its opening when i get crazy on it. And it does level out bewteen 1 and 2 psi. Im going to move my refrence to the manifold to see if that helps. I guess its possible that i could have 5 lbs of restriction between the turbo and the manifold where my Boost gauge is refrenced.

last night we sprayed started fluid around all the joints while it was idleing to see if it bogged the motor down, and nothing seems to be happening. So the next step is to just move the wastegate refrence to the manifold and see if that helps. it has the tial 7.2lb spring in it now, so we will see what happens. And thanks again guys for all the info on the timing and AFR.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Its not the referance point. I'm sure of that. I've tested the psi drop from the compressor housing to the back of the intake where the vaccum fittings are and only get about 1 psi differance while under 10# of boost. Pressurize your wastegate with compressor air and see what is happening. Be carefull not to blast >35 psi into it or you may rupture it. It doesn't make sense though. If you have a diaphram fallure or it the valve is stuck it would be over boosting not under boosting. It must be stuck open. If you have the control hose plumbed to the wrong side of the valve it would force it closed and it would overboost. Nothing else makes sence.

I'd take the ref hose off and see what happens.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

i will try that, but i know its closed when im driving or the car is running, So i dont think it could be a broken wastegate, atleast in that fashion.

I have it plumbed per the instructions from Tial, im using the side port like instructed where the top port is for a boost controller. I will give it a shot, but i dont think that will matter much.

I also wonder if my piece of crap Flea Bay innercooler is that much a restriction possibly.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JAX04
i will try that, but i know its closed when im driving or the car is running, So i dont think it could be a broken wastegate, atleast in that fashion.

I have it plumbed per the instructions from Tial, im using the side port like instructed where the top port is for a boost controller. I will give it a shot, but i dont think that will matter much.

I also wonder if my piece of crap Flea Bay innercooler is that much a restriction possibly.
the ic looks to be quite large. i doubt its a restriction for your build.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NemeSS
the ic looks to be quite large. i doubt its a restriction for your build.
it is with out a doubt about the biggest i could fit, The pipes coming off the sides are hitting my fog lights, so i couldnt go any larger. Maybe taller, but def not longer.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you have an intercooler you have to reference the WG off the manifold in order to get to you desired boost level. Lots of rear mount guys have had this problem and needed to move their WG reference from the comp cover to the manifold... me included.

Last edited by Zombie; 06-30-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zombie
if you have an intercooler you have to reference the WG off the manifold in order to get to you desired boost level. Lots of rear mount guys have had this problem and needed to move their WG reference from the comp cover to the manifold... me included.
What type of hose are you using? Works well obviously for such a long run.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Regular

What was the differance in the boost setting vs the actual via intercooler pressure drop? Couldn't you just have turned the setting up to compensate for the loss or was it a situation where you loose more and more boost through a run.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

im going to be using rubber hose, to make the run up front, so it doesnt have a chance of collapsing or ballooning. Tnanks guys, I was out boosting this morning, and it clearly sounds as if my wastegate is opening, TURBO hiss, 2lbs, loud as hell like someone opended an exhaust cut off, and boost flatlines at 1.5 or 2lbs. So i will move the refrence today sometime,

Will the brake booster line work well for that?? its really the only one of any size up there.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Regular

Just unplug that sucker and you'll have your answer in about 2 seconds....
Old 07-01-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Veteran

i know, lol. i going to do that first. lol. I need a two bar map sensor as well. i read a thread that said the cobalt wouldnt work becuase it has the iat sensor in it. WHO CARES. maybe ill run my iat sensor there. lol

Will it work? plain and simple? (im referring to the MAP sensor)

my guess is yes, my guess is i could probably use and GM 2 bar map sensor and just run a vaccum line to it, as long as the wiring is correct??

Last edited by JAX04; 07-01-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

ok, i re refrenced the wastedgate to the manifold, and BLAM! BOOST! lol. Also, got a tailpipe/downpipe made and moved the wideband out back about 7" from the turbo. SO thats fixed. Couple pics, i was asked to post pictures of the piping under the car, and thought id also post one from the back so you could see my clearance, which is very VERY close to stock. This is before the tailpipe was put on.
Shes dirty, but ohwell.

while we were making the tail pipe.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

Don't run it much without the tail pipe. I did and melted all the fasteners off the valence and some of the styrofoam....

So how much boost do you have now? Minus how much you have before=the loss in the system. I'm very surprised, because I had only about 1 psi loss so I never bothered to referance it off the manifold. Still off the compressor cover. I don't have an intercooler yet, that's the only differance between us...
Old 07-04-2010, 05:38 PM
TECH Veteran

well eric, oddly enough, with a .5 bar spring in my wastegate, im still opening early. I didnt stay in it, but the wastegate did open at 5psi. Im so confused as to why this thing wont stay shut.

The bov is working now. so thats some relief. But i cant figure out why im still opening 2 to 2.5lbs early?????????????

oh, and i did melt some stuff, lol. even melted my bumper. If you look close enough at the one pick on the rack, you can see the bumper melted down in a round shape, we cut that out. lol

EDIT: i wonder if i have a bad boost gauge??? i guess there is only really one way to find out. Try another gauge.

Last edited by JAX04; 07-04-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have a 2 bar MAP sensor you will be able to see what boost your hitting in the data logging when tuneing.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Johnv
If you have a 2 bar MAP sensor you will be able to see what boost your hitting in the data logging when tuneing.
Incredible point. I guess my head is so overwhelmed right now. Never even thought bout that. thanks johnv.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WG springs are not an exact amount. If you have low exhaust back pressure you'll get more than the spring is "rated for". If you have more back pressure you'll see less boost.

More back pressure pushes on the WG valve effectively making the spring weaker, just like exhaust valve springs in the head.

If you read my saga thread you'll see that every time i reduced back pressure the amount of boost I made went up when on the same WG spring.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Looks great, and thanks for the underbody pics. Hope you get your problems figured out. Just by looking at your set up it's giving me the itch
Old 07-05-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

WG springs are not an exact amount. If you have low exhaust back pressure you'll get more than the spring is "rated for". If you have more back pressure you'll see less boost.

More back pressure pushes on the WG valve effectively making the spring weaker, just like exhaust valve springs in the head.

If you read my saga thread you'll see that every time i reduced back pressure the amount of boost I made went up when on the same WG spring.
Originally Posted by 05TurboCGM
Looks great, and thanks for the underbody pics. Hope you get your problems figured out. Just by looking at your set up it's giving me the itch

thanks alot guys, thanks for sticking in there with me.

Zombie, ive read that thing a million times, lol. I guess ill go back and re visit it again, it has def. served me very well throughout this build process.

oh, by the way, if any of you people arent running E85, and you have it available to use, USE IT!!! Lol

05TurboCGM- how is your build coming, i know you have been working on collecting parts. any progress??

Quick Reply: Rear mount gto build. :) LQx REBUILD TO COME