Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Backfire now a vaccum leak-FAST 92

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Backfire now a vaccum leak-FAST 92

Was at the track and on the 1000hp setting at the end of the track I got wheel spin and it backfired twice off the rev limiter. After the run the RPMs hung up at 3000 and wouldn't come down. Now theres a huge vaccum leak sound coming from around the intake in the back.(FAST 92). Do you thnk it blew a hole in it??

Thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If nothing else it's apart somewhere. Were you on street tires or what?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May the bust panels on the bottom came loose. Are your sure the T body is not sticking?
Old 02-07-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How would burst panels come out if he don't have them installed? Is he using burst panels?
Also how do you have the map in there..Is it stuck into the back of the intake?I drilled out bigger hole on back of my fast and tapped it so could run fitting then have map over on firewall. Map dont fit in fast very well at all.
I also used loctitie on fast hardware holding shells together etc and put some rtv in here and there in it.
Well its not that hard to take an intake manifold off and check maybe hour or so.
Keep us posted.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Also curious did you get any full runs in ..any times to share with us?
Old 02-07-2010, 11:01 AM
10 Second Club

Having done this myself, IF you have a burst panel, it blew & saved your intake manifold. If you do not have a burst panel, now you know why you need one. If your lucky you popped the O-ring between the top & bottom, but sadly you most likely you cracked it.

There is one more thing to check before you start cussing - is the MAP fitting still attached in the back? I blew mine off once.

Good luck!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Having done this myself, IF you have a burst panel, it blew & saved your intake manifold. If you do not have a burst panel, now you know why you need one. If your lucky you popped the O-ring between the top & bottom, but sadly you most likely you cracked it.

There is one more thing to check before you start cussing - is the MAP fitting still attached in the back? I blew mine off once.

Good luck!
I had burst panels blow at 10psi with the logs to prove nothing was wrong with tune or way car was running. I would [B]NEVER[/B run burst panels with boost after what happened with mine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...cs-inside.html
Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
I had burst panels blow at 10psi with the logs to prove nothing was wrong with tune or way car was running. I would [B]NEVER[/B run burst panels with boost after what happened with mine.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...cs-inside.html
Well burst panel blowing at 10psi at least is not going to hurt things like no burst panel and backfire could. But it would be annoying for sure and you said it was like sticking throttle if remember your thread.
Also have seen where guys used the wrong bolts in the intake valley and that will for sure crack the fast intake. You have to use the proper intake valley bolts. Many guys that get the fast intakes used dont' know this.
Overtorquing also is possible way

Still have seen many guys on this board and other boards now running fast intakes at up to 20psi or so. Not sure how many of those guys are running burst panels as that is more a nitrous safety thing. I have burst panels in my car.I have so far only taken it to 8psi so can't report if they blow out at 10psi or less than their rated which is like 32psi??
I have also never seen another intake like what happened to yours.

There are 1000hp turbo builds on afr website one is running fast intake.
I will use mine until have a problem if it burns the car down well so be it.
As said I drilled and tapped the back of my intake and ran big vacuum line to vacuum manifold and then map is run off that. So no problems with any leaking from that area. I also used loctite on the hardware holding the shells, also some had problems leaking where the gasket stuff wasn't in right between shells and I put a bit of rtv here and there between the shells.

I will for sure be going much higher on boost this season but doubt would ever go past 20psi. If that burst panel blows out on me for no reason at like 10psi then have to rethink things. I do like the fast for the direct port option since will be running smaller shots of spray here and there likely 75 to 125 max of spray. Mostly the direct port is show and intimidation.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 PM
10 Second Club

I admit I was hesitant to use one to begin with. I've heard several people say they won't use them, but they are rated at 37psi. I ran one for over 2 yrs at 13-15 psi & never blew one.....UNTIL I had a spark misfire & my car backfired thru the intake. Not sure what it saved, but personally I wouldn't run an LSX intake with boost or nitrous without one.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, when burst panel blew rpms shot up to 5000+ rpms and car took off on its own.......definitely not cool
Old 02-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I admit I was hesitant to use one to begin with. I've heard several people say they won't use them, but they are rated at 37psi. I ran one for over 2 yrs at 13-15 psi & never blew one.....UNTIL I had a spark misfire & my car backfired thru the intake. Not sure what it saved, but personally I wouldn't run an LSX intake with boost or nitrous without one.
37 psi at what temperature? You have the heat of the motor underneath and then if you have 130+ air charge + pressure in the intake, it could happen. Add to that if you are running an LS1 valley cover and you dont have enough crankcase ventilation, the heat will push out around the knock sensors. The floor of my FAST is a little warped as a result of this.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with checking the MAP sensor in the back, popped out on me before.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok I'll check the map senser first. Do all FAST 92 come with a burst panel? I dont believe mine does. And the times on street tires(PS2) spinning all the way down the street. A wowing 8.4... Pretty fast huh???

Track sucked, the whole night sucked, The end.....
Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
Ok I'll check the map senser first. Do all FAST 92 come with a burst panel? I dont believe mine does. And the times on street tires(PS2) spinning all the way down the street. A wowing 8.4... Pretty fast huh???

Track sucked, the whole night sucked, The end.....
They don't come with burst panels installed. Here is what they look like.

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
I sent the intake in and Fast hasn't seen anything like it........they sent me a new intake and wanted me to get the burst kit.....so here is new intake, ready to go back on

Quick Reply: Backfire now a vaccum leak-FAST 92