Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Incon TT build... slowly but surely

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sick build bro. Funny too see you update it and all the frustrations of a build of this caliber. I understand your pain lol. I went through hell helping my friend piece together a half *** hellion kit for a 01 cobra and experienced so many problems just thinking about makes my head want to spin off lol.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
Be EASY on it until we can look at it with a wideband (unless you have a wideband, and it looks good). Glad to hear that it is running!
Will do Steve. I have a wideband, just not hooked up yet because I'm in need of a new Y-pipe. As soon as I get it all straightened out I'm making a trip your way for some niceness Anthony, I'll get those sound clips when I get back to Virginia next weekend, I have to finish up this class I'm at in North Carolina right now. Definitely money well spent bro I'll have to bring it by sometime so you can have a look at it.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2slow2flurry-ous
Sick build bro. Funny too see you update it and all the frustrations of a build of this caliber. I understand your pain lol. I went through hell helping my friend piece together a half *** hellion kit for a 01 cobra and experienced so many problems just thinking about makes my head want to spin off lol.
I hear ya pimp. I can DEFINITELY go through life without having to do another incomplete turbo kit install
Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For some reason I love these Incon builds. That looks really good.

Where did you mount that scavenge pump? I see the big return lines from the reservoirs heading back up front. Is it as tight a fit up there in the nose as it looks with the IC and the air filter all tucked under the lights?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I mounted the scavenge pump on the passenger side of the bumper rail directly underneath the fan. Everything in the front is pretty tight, didn't even have room to mount my meth pump... it's in a not-so-safe location right now. Scavenge pump fits great where it is, but I really wanna just get rid of those scavenge tanks and put fittings on the turbos and call it a day. The passenger side tank sits a bit too low for me.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's all good. If it doesn't smoke you might get used to the lowness. You cold always throw throw some 3pt SLP-style SFCs on there and have something beefy that's even lower than the tank.

One more question - did you have to ditch the stock coolant overflow tank to fit the pass. side IC or does that sit out far enough to clear?

Keep up the good work.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

The intercooler clears the overflow tank just fine, it's just getting the bumper to fit on that side that's a pain in the ***. Nothing a little modification couldn't fix though.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had to hack up my lower front air dam pretty good to fit. Also, my front bumper cover flares out a bit on the sides where the intercoolers are and has a small gap on each side, but I used a big ziptie to pull it in a bit.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

I hacked up my bumper pretty good to get it to fit, haven't test fitted it yet since I made the final cuts to it. From where I checked it though it looks like it'll fit pretty decent. I got plenty of zip ties though just in case.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Update....

Did some more tinkering on the car this weekend, got the engine bay put together enough for a trial start-up of the car and finished up the gauge wiring. Had to drop the fuel tank to remove the stock regulator since I have a boost referenced one up front. Did a few last-minute adjustments, bled the clutch and front brakes, topped off power steering fluid and coolant, and crossed my fingers and toes for good luck. Jumped in the car to crank it and...... IT WON'T START!!! It sputters for a second like it's gonna fire but then it doesn't. I tried switching out the spark plugs and it does the same thing. The pump starts up and primes when I turn the key on so I know it's working, but it doesn't seem like it's getting enough fuel pressure. Do I need to plug the spot where I took out the stock regulator? I'll ask the fuel boys and see what they have to say about it.... was really wanting to be done with my car this weekend after almost 2 months worth of weekends working on it **** my life.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW, I think I hold the record for changing out the #8 spark plug... start to finish in 7 minutes!! My girl would be pissed if I was like that in real life lol.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Update!!!

Okay, I think I figured out the problem... oil pressure sending unit behind the intake manifold wasn't connected to the harness. I tried to connect it with the intake still on but it wouldn't go in for some reason. After much fighting and cursing, I decided to grab a mirror and flashlight to see why the **** the harness wouldn't go on. Long story short, it was the wrong sensor My harness has the single prong sending unit, and the sensor on the engine was two prong. From what I'm hearing, my no-start problem could be caused by this sensor not being connected... I don't understand why it could but then again I'm dumb when it comes to computer logic. I'll put it back together tomorrow and see if anything changes. If not, I'll entertain trades
Old 04-21-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Yeaaaaaaah!!!!

The rat bastard finally started back up today!! It turns out I didn't have the venturi tube fully connected on the fuel pump. Along with a few other things I had to tighten up and adjust, all it took after that was a lil starter fluid and BAM!! She started up loud and vicious, surprised the **** outta me Gonna clean up the engine bay a lil bit and finish putting it back together tomorrow. Still waiting on my Y-pipe from Stainless Works so I can have an exhaust this weekend hopefully. Gonna get a video camera tomorrow so's I can post a start-up vid, along with some pics of my jacked-up engine bay.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Hell yea! I can't. Wait to hear a sound clip of it
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Ick.......

Sooooo, went to the hobby shop to start wrenching on the T/A this afternoon and noticed a small puddle of oil under the passenger side turbo. The car doesn't start right up so I had to spray it with engine start again, then when it started I had a nice cloud of white smoke coming from the passenger side. And more oil. After I shut it down I raised it up to investigate and some of the bolts were a bit loose for my taste. I cleaned up everything and tightened the bolts down, gonna let it sit overnight again and see if I come back to another puddle of oil. If so, I have a bad turbo **** my life.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

A puddle of oil is never good especially on the passenger side one.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't panic just yet. I had this same issue. Are your oil lines running under the sway bar or over it? What kind of scavenge pump are you using and is it still in good shape (seals still good). Mine just wasn't scavenging the excess oil back up fast enough due to some of these factors and so it was collecting in the turbo housing itself and burning off a little, as well as having a very slow leak. I ran the lines back under my swaybar to help it flow in a straighter path and prevent excess collecting and swapped out the old scavenging pump, as well as put some more plumbing tape on the fittings and re-tightened them, and it seemed to fix the problem for me. Its hard to tell exactly where a slow oil leak is coming from sometimes though because it will generally run down to the lowest point before dripping off.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lines are running under the sway bar, pump is a brand new turbowerx. It had a bad relay so it didn't come on the first time I started it so it may have had excess oil in the housing. I'll experiment with it a little bit more either tomorrow or this weekend and see what the real problem is, don't wanna spend hundreds of dollars to fix a problem that's not there.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fixed my oil leak problem!! The clocking bolts were a bit too loose for my taste so I tightened them and changed out the tube that connects the turbo to the scavenge tank. Fired the car up and let it run for a minute, after the old oil burned off there was no more white smoke and no more leaks NOW I have some other issues that need fixing. Idle is 1000 RPM too high, oil pressure gauge in the car is pegged all the way to the right at 80, and various other pain-in-the-*** type **** is going wrong with my car But hey, at least it starts and doesn't leak any oil Any suggestions on the high oil pressure? I put a brand new sending unit in it... could that be the problem?
Old 04-24-2010, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Turn you key to the run position but don't start the motor and see if the gauge goes to 80.

If I does you could have a pinched wire or bad sending unit.

At this point unplug sender and if the gauge stays at 80 it's a pinched wire if it falls back to 0 it's the sender.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Incon TT build... slowly but surely