Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anyone else run pre-turbo meth injection

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone else run pre-turbo meth injection

just seeing if anyone else has any experience running pre-turbo methanol injection. i ran it on my twin rear mounted turbo GTO with no intercooler and saw no more then 100 degree intake temps and 14psi/600rwhp.

i plan to continue with this setup at 19psi when the new bottom end is in shortly.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when i talked to AIS, they recommended pre turbo, as well as two before the TB

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html
Old 03-08-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i really do not think that is a good idea, if you spray meth before the turbo, it will have to go threw the intercooler, and aluminum does not like methanol much
Old 03-08-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elias_799
i really do not think that is a good idea, if you spray meth before the turbo, it will have to go threw the intercooler, and aluminum does not like methanol much
if you spray it pre-turbo though, it gets compressed, and mixed with the air. If you spray it after the turbo, it has more of a chance of just puddling up.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:27 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are is a thread or two somewhere on here with lots of good ifo......advising why it isn't as efficient as post turbo. I believe there are charts with temp data each way on the same car.

PS--Thats pretty amazing you never saw temps over 100* with no intercooler, and pre-turbo injection. I believe the results in the other thread were quite different.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by reamo04
if you spray it pre-turbo though, it gets compressed, and mixed with the air. If you spray it after the turbo, it has more of a chance of just puddling up.
it is pretty much the same pressure at the compressor and at the intake manifold, just a couple of psi down becasue of the intercooler

but it has to travel threw quite a bit of aluminum tubing and the worst would be the intercooler, yes it will get mixed with the air, but it will still come in contact with the intercooler and most of the piping

but if you spray before the throttle body, it will only come in contact with it and once it will go in to the intake manifold it get's mixed with fuel, and it travels down to the intake runners

also i am not to sure what meth will do to your MAF and AIT sensors, but i could not imagine it being good
Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

yes it would re-condense at the intercooler and corrode but i have no intercooler at all so that is not a problem. I also have not seen any problems with my piping or any puddling up in them either.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i started a thread in the avtanced section about 6-8 months ago. some very good ideas raised in it. worth a look.

Chris.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you're running iron heads and an iron throttle body then I'd hope....

Only way pre-turbo injection would not be better than post turbo is if you're running a MAF setup.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it is pretty much the same pressure at the compressor and at the intake manifold, just a couple of psi down becasue of the intercooler

but it has to travel threw quite a bit of aluminum tubing and the worst would be the intercooler, yes it will get mixed with the air, but it will still come in contact with the intercooler and most of the piping

but if you spray before the throttle body, it will only come in contact with it and once it will go in to the intake manifold it get's mixed with fuel, and it travels down to the intake runners

also i am not to sure what meth will do to your MAF and AIT sensors, but i could not imagine it being good
tell this to AIS. I am willing ot take their advice well over yours since they specialize in meth/water injection.
And who the hell runs a MAF these days anyways?

Pre turbo keeps the compressor from heating up the air so much. When the air comes out the compressor side, its super freaking hot. By adding in meth, it cools it, and allows ur intercooler to be more effective yet.

I dont have to worry about either though. Alky car FTW.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Teching In

I've ran pre-compressor injection on several cars. Many of which were equipped with blow through MAF which were located after the intercooler. The MAF function is not going to be thrown off when done correctly. When running an intercooler you only run as big as a nozzle that will get completely evaporated. Everything that is being sprayed through the compressor will be completely evaporated. Their is no fluid exiting the compressor to collect in the intercooler. Additionally, the water methanol mist that evaporated will not will not reform inside the intercooler. Intercooler isn't working that well and the air is still hot.

As for the aluminum metal and water methanol injection. The intercooler will not corrode not will it hurt the MAF sensor or IAT sensor when done correctly. Again, everything being sprayed pre-compressor is evaporated before it leaves the compressor. The methanol isn;t given a chance or enough time required to effect the surface of aluminum parts. Its not as if the metal is being soaked in methanol allowing the methanol to slowly oxidize it as you would have with an aluminum fuel cell that was not anodized.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be spraying pre-procharger along with a dual nozzle set-up before the throttle body. A small nozzle pre-procharger and larger dual nozzles before the throttle body seems to be the ticket.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Beast
So you're running iron heads and an iron throttle body then I'd hope....

Only way pre-turbo injection would not be better than post turbo is if you're running a MAF setup.
learn how to read

by the time meth hits the intake runners it is mixed in with the fuel

throttle body will be exposed, but that is it. one thing that will be prone to corrosion then 4

Last edited by elias_799; 03-08-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by reamo04
tell this to AIS. I am willing ot take their advice well over yours since they specialize in meth/water injection.
And who the hell runs a MAF these days anyways?

Pre turbo keeps the compressor from heating up the air so much. When the air comes out the compressor side, its super freaking hot. By adding in meth, it cools it, and allows ur intercooler to be more effective yet.

I dont have to worry about either though. Alky car FTW.
yea especially when it will starts to corrode and small peaces will enter inside the motor

i run a MAF and plan to keep it. lingenfelter has been making big power with maf setups for a long time

i do not care who's advice you take, i am here to have a civilized debate and to come to a proper conclusion
Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rodknox
I've ran pre-compressor injection on several cars. Many of which were equipped with blow through MAF which were located after the intercooler. The MAF function is not going to be thrown off when done correctly. When running an intercooler you only run as big as a nozzle that will get completely evaporated. Everything that is being sprayed through the compressor will be completely evaporated. Their is no fluid exiting the compressor to collect in the intercooler. Additionally, the water methanol mist that evaporated will not will not reform inside the intercooler. Intercooler isn't working that well and the air is still hot.

As for the aluminum metal and water methanol injection. The intercooler will not corrode not will it hurt the MAF sensor or IAT sensor when done correctly. Again, everything being sprayed pre-compressor is evaporated before it leaves the compressor. The methanol isn;t given a chance or enough time required to effect the surface of aluminum parts. Its not as if the metal is being soaked in methanol allowing the methanol to slowly oxidize it as you would have with an aluminum fuel cell that was not anodized.

i am not saying it will corrode instantly or in a couple of days. maybe in a couple of years it will show.

i understand that meth will be vaporized in the compressor housing, but small particles will still come in contact with the inter cooler

also, every single MAF/methanol set up that i have seen, meth is sprayed after the maf and for a good reason
Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

I remember asking about this over a year ago ... https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...tercooler.html ... glad it's finally catching on within the LS1Tech community lol Everything I've read suggests wet compression > only spraying just before the throttle body
Old 03-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Teching In

i am not saying it will corrode instantly or in a couple of days. maybe in a couple of years it will show.

i understand that meth will be vaporized in the compressor housing, but small particles will still come in contact with the inter cooler

also, every single MAF/methanol set up that i have seen, meth is sprayed after the maf and for a good reason
I've know guys who have ran methanol injection for over 5 years, longer then me, and still nothing. Pull the pipe of the turbo and the impeller looks new. You have to to stop and remember this methanol is only spraying while in boost. Now ask yourself how much time is that each day. I know with my last Mustang I would probably only be in boost for a total of 10-20 seconds each day. Yet I would have easily 30-60 minutes of run time on the each that day. Go run methanol injection drive your car for 20 minutes getting on it here and there. Then when you get home pull your piping off and look inside to see if you have any moisture. Good luck finding some. Especially if you run pure methanol. Blow on that stuff and its gone. Heck, leave the lid off of a drum and it will evaporate on you with out even doing anything.

Not to mention the thousands of people who are running methanol injection. Where's all the rusted out aluminum superchargers, pipes, intake manifold etc.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

Why not try it both ways and see how it does.
It can’t be that hard to move nozzles around.

I think most of you are passing around “hear say”
and don’t know the pros and cons of either setup,.

And I don’t know the pros and cons of pre vs post
compressor nozzle placement either but I’m going
to try it.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea especially when it will starts to corrode and small peaces will enter inside the motor
i run a MAF and plan to keep it. lingenfelter has been making big power with maf setups for a long time

i do not care who's advice you take, i am here to have a civilized debate and to come to a proper conclusion

have you seen this happen personally? If not, quit going on "he said she said" kind of stuff. Do you have any concrete evidence that it will corrode? Do this, go poor some windshield washer fluid over a piece of aluminum, tell me how long it takes to corrode it.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^ no i have not personally seen it. it is just an assumption. my motor has very low CR so i do no need to use it.

i am not going off what "he said she said" kind of stuff, i am going off what i personally know will corrode aluminum

but if people say that they have ran it for 5 years without an issue i will not argue that.

if you let aluminum soak in methanol, it will corrode

Quick Reply: anyone else run pre-turbo meth injection