Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Help - Alternator Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Alternator Relocation

Guys-

Just bought the alternator relocation bracket from Speed Inc and as I'm in the process of putting the motor back together and getting the accessories mounted... it would appear this kit as not as simple as I expected.

Are there better relocation kits available than the one that speed inc sells?

Do I have to get another alternator in pretty much every case with LS1 relocation kits?

Help!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think speed inc is the only kit that doesn't work with the stock alternator. Smokinhawk and WS6Hummer make relocation brackets, you can PM them for info.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the spreed inc bracket you need an alternator of a mid 90's chevy suburban

i like their bracket very sturdy piece and you can use it as a solid tensioner

Old 03-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Banned

We built ours to use a non stock alternator so it sits lower and tighter to the motor. I'm sorry if you were not made aware it needed an alternator, but the pic online clearly shows a non OEM alternator.

I'm sure you could sell your stock alternator for a decent dollar and pickup the mentioned alternator from a local parts store.

if you chose not to move forward using our kit let us know
Old 03-14-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

@Speed-

Thx for the reply. I purchased the bracket off your site, without seeing it anywhere else. After I ordered, I got a call from Speed to find out what color I wanted, cool enough. Then the box got here and there are no instructions with it at all. So I started poking around with it trying to see how it worked... and noticed the holes didn't line up to the stock alternator. So I looked again at the site and noticed that there was a diff alternator in the pic... turns out I had one in the garage. The holes lined up, but its not clocked correctly - so again, no quick fix. Not to mention that the harness can't be purchased without the alternator. Nothing in the TEXT on your site suggests that you need a different alternator for the bracket to work correctly.

Needless to say, I was a bit frustrated that my $199 bracket would cost me another $179 to work correctly.

I understand nothing is easy... I guess I just didn't expect to have to try this hard given the $ I spent over other brackets that are out there.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

spooling performance makes a good bracket for pretty cheap and can use the stock alt.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle02
@Speed-

Thx for the reply. I purchased the bracket off your site, without seeing it anywhere else. After I ordered, I got a call from Speed to find out what color I wanted, cool enough. Then the box got here and there are no instructions with it at all. So I started poking around with it trying to see how it worked... and noticed the holes didn't line up to the stock alternator. So I looked again at the site and noticed that there was a diff alternator in the pic... turns out I had one in the garage. The holes lined up, but its not clocked correctly - so again, no quick fix. Not to mention that the harness can't be purchased without the alternator. Nothing in the TEXT on your site suggests that you need a different alternator for the bracket to work correctly.

Needless to say, I was a bit frustrated that my $199 bracket would cost me another $179 to work correctly.

I understand nothing is easy... I guess I just didn't expect to have to try this hard given the $ I spent over other brackets that are out there.

that is a load of ****, go to any alternator re builder and they will sell you the harness for 10 bucks. i got my alternator and harness for 100 Canadian. so if i can find the parts in Canada for that price, you better be able to find it in the US but if you somehow will not be able to find it for that price shoot me a pm.

that bracket is very good, i was throwing belts on a daily basis till i got that bracket and it is no fun to change them on the highway

if you still decide you do not want to use the speed inc bracket, i have seen a couple of people modify the stock alternator bracket and use that to relocate the alternator to the pass side head. just do a search on this forum and you should be able to find it.

good luck
Old 03-31-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

what case size alternator?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

I ended up with Wsss6's bracket and just relocated the tensioner a bit. Everything seems to have lined up perfectly!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it was cheaper for me to grab a corvette alternator, bracket, and damper since I am not using power steering
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

This ended up @ <$150.

Quick Reply: Help - Alternator Relocation