Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 Turbo Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.3 Turbo Questions

I am looking into putting a single turbo in my '67 Bronco 5.3 swap. This would be more for show & to continue to **** off the Ford guys than for HP. I am going to run low boost, I am thinking 4-6psi. I have a lot of experience with tuner FI, but not with larger displacement motors. I am going to build this kit myself due to the custom nature of this project & do a remote mount setup because of space constraints. I have read several threads including the sticky on what is required, but have a couple questions.

If I am going to be running low boost as mentioned above, do I really need to do all of the things mentioned in the "real price" sticky? I know I will have to do fueling & other supporting mods, but do I need all the upgrades like heads, valve springs, cam, timing chain, pushrods, head bolts, etc if I am running such low boost?

Secondly, I am thinking of a T70 turbo, is that the best choice for a low boost quick spooling turbo or should I go smaller?

Thanks for you help.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Okay I have done more reading and am comfortable leaving everything stock running my low pressure. So, what turbo would you guys recommend? Looking for the smallest turbo possible for fitment reasons & running around 6psi.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would tun a tc76 and put it up front. Theres ton of room in those broncos.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Launching!

There is tons of room in a full size bronco, not in an early bronco. It was an insane squeeze just to get the 5.3 in there. The passenger side manifold is literally touching the fender & there is less than two inches between the driver's side head & steering shaft & 1" between the steering shaft & the fender. These rigs have much less room under the hood than an F-body.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 Turbo Questions-dscn1256-medium-.jpg   5.3 Turbo Questions-dscn2003-medium-.jpg  
Old 04-09-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hrm. Your looking for low end power. While I am an advocate of turbos, you may also look into roots style superchargers as well.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Launching!

I have a decent amount of low end power as it is, plenty for wheeling. I am just looking for an extra 100HP or so for fun. I have already turned two die hard Ford fans into LSx junkies because of my rigs performance & they are working on similar conversions now. If I can show them what a little boost & a stock motor can do it will turn more from the dark side.

The main reason is that I have always wanted to fab up a remote mount kit & the wife decided this was cheaper than buying another project to do it on. I want to run a smaller turbo so lag is minimal as possible, being I will be running a low amount of boost I won't be sacrificing anything by getting a smaller quicker spooling turbo. Just need help picking out which one.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

call josh at kentucky turbo
270-303-0531

I know I was looking at doing a pretty instant-boost setup for a friend and was looking at 67mm turbos for a front mount. I think a 62-1 precision should do fairly well as long as your not taking it up past factory redline
Old 04-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Launching!

I will check out the 62-1 as it sounds like a good fit & probably give him a call. I only run the motor up to 6k so it shouldn't fall on its face. Thanks for your help.

Any other suggestions guys?

Quick Reply: 5.3 Turbo Questions