Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

MAF or speed density

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you do SD are front o2 sensors still used ?

i need to know before i drop 300bucks on o2 sensors
Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you will still need o2 sensors
Old 05-16-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you recommend any places to do more research on this?

I am looking at a future FI build with 370 & F1A as street car that sees limited track time. Seems like having ability to use MAF for DD status and having it flop over to SD when under load would be ideal.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are doing a MAF tune the PE vs RPM table is what you use to add or remove fuel once the MAF is maxed out. It is a lot simpler than a SD tune which you will find out is very time consuming to get all the little issues that will come up ironed out. You can usually see a blip on the dyno chart on a MAF car where the MAF has maxed out and it is now using the PE table.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by elias_799
if you do SD are front o2 sensors still used ?

i need to know before i drop 300bucks on o2 sensors
Depends on the tuner but usually, no. Most tuners will put you in open loop when going to speed density. You will likely need a wideband and should have one regardless IMO.

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
If you are doing a MAF tune the PE vs RPM table is what you use to add or remove fuel once the MAF is maxed out. It is a lot simpler than a SD tune which you will find out is very time consuming to get all the little issues that will come up ironed out. You can usually see a blip on the dyno chart on a MAF car where the MAF has maxed out and it is now using the PE table.
PE table is used in both SD and MAF tuning and does not work the way that you stated above. The Power Enrichment table is a divider value to define the commanded AFR at WOT. Tunning the MAF and/or VE table is done by comparing the commanded AFR vs the actual AFR readings and getting them as close to each other as possible. If you go to a shop that is just working with the PE table in order to dial in fueling at WOT, they are doing wrong.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
Depends on the tuner but usually, no. Most tuners will put you in open loop when going to speed density. You will likely need a wideband and should have one regardless IMO.

PE table is used in both SD and MAF tuning and does not work the way that you stated above. The Power Enrichment table is a divider value to define the commanded AFR at WOT. Tunning the MAF and/or VE table is done by comparing the commanded AFR vs the actual AFR readings and getting them as close to each other as possible. If you go to a shop that is just working with the PE table in order to dial in fueling at WOT, they are doing wrong.
Who tuned your car? I cant remember.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianC98Z28
Who tuned your car? I cant remember.
Me. I tune most of the local fast fbodies and even some of the slow ones.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

I did my own OLSD tune and I love it. Ill never go back to MAF. I get 25mpg when im not beating on my car and im not running a MAF or o2 sensors.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
I bought my 2002 SS used and the previous owner had it SD tuned. It ran great. It
felt strong from a launch. I bought it in August, well after a few months the night time temps dropped below 50 degrees and the car wouldn't start. I had to hold the pedal down a little to keep it from stalling out. Once the motor warmed up a little it surged until it was almost fully warmed up then it idled fine. If temp doesn't effect SD tuning then what was going on with my car? The next morning it did the same thing, so i pulled the IAT sensor out of the lid and warmed it up in the house and i was rolling the sensor in my hands. Then i reinstalled it back in the air lid and the car surged some but it did idle better and i didn't need to hold the pedal down. After that i just had a stock file flash in my PCM and it's been fine ever since. But i still think the car ran better with the SD tuning once it warmed up.
the tune must not have been adjusted for changes in temp. there is an IAT table in HP tuners for this particular reason
Old 05-17-2010, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cjmatt
the tune must not have been adjusted for changes in temp. there is an IAT table in HP tuners for this particular reason
Right on. In EFILive custom os there's a open loop VE multiplier based off of ECT so you can give more fuel when it's cold. In 50 degree weather mine needs about 20% more fuel than at normal operating temp. Previous owner probably didn't tune startup for colder weather. Funny thing, is that until it actually gets cold it's impossible to tune for it because it ain't just a matter of scaling it down to predict for it.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller

I agree with you sort of, but the guy was talking about MAXING out the MAF.
Since RPM exists in the PE EQ table, you can adjust a belt driven boost based on a slope to make up the difference from the last (max) air mass reading vs what is actually going in the motor. The problem is no elevation change takes this calc into consideration.

If you dont agree, I would like to know what alternate method there is while keeping a MAF enabled tune (not using the VE table) ?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=elias_799;13274523]what i have been told is that our computer does not read the maf past 500whp, so i after the 500whp it is a guessing game QUOTE]

Not if you have all of your parameters covered, I run a stock maf on a LT1, made 722 rwhp with a D1 and my fueling was spot on everywhere, everytime. I put it on the dyno in different cities, temps and my fueling was always flat lined.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So from after reading all of 4 pages, I came up with this little checklist for my tuner when he tunes my D1SC: SD tune, delete all 02 sensors, adjust for different temp's and different elevations.

You guys know in the Midwest we have 90 deg summers and below 0 deg Fahrenheit winters! I want to able to drive this baby anytime of and anywhere I want.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Has anybody who has done a swap run into a issue with the MAF working
Old 12-11-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To all those worried about a SD tune and temp or elevation changes, do you not realize how many cars come from the factory running SD? They don't need to be retuned just because the temp or elevation changes. Even F-bodies were SD from the factory from 90-93. If temp or elevation causes problems then something is wrong.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so this may be a dumb question, but here goes...
I'm getting ready to put a Procharger on my SS and my tuner said they will be gong with the 2 Bar SD tune. From reading this thread, that sounds like the way to go!

Now my question is: Since the MAF won't be used anymore, should I just remove the whole unit from my intake piping for better airflow?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2000silverbullet
Ok, so this may be a dumb question, but here goes...
I'm getting ready to put a Procharger on my SS and my tuner said they will be gong with the 2 Bar SD tune. From reading this thread, that sounds like the way to go!

Now my question is: Since the MAF won't be used anymore, should I just remove the whole unit from my intake piping for better airflow?
Yes, you can remove it. I sold mine three years ago!
Old 07-29-2013, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsspr
I have 2 questions, i'm kind of learning in this topic so sorry if they are stupid questions!

1-can i use efi live to make a SD tune?
2-if i use the 100mm MAF can i still usind it above 500HP rage and i still going to have the ability to have good results with my tuning?
To answer your question 2 further, yes you can. When you go to a MAF sensor in a larger diameter tube, you extend the maximum airflow the MAF can see because it will cool the element less and you will have a lower MAF frequency for a given amount of airflow. The max airflow and frequency are PCM limited, and by moving to a larger MAF like an LS7 MAF in a 4" tube, you can substantially increase your limit. Once you have reached this limit, you can scale the tune, which will lower the recorded airflow further to extend the limit. I am working on doing this on my setup now with some help from some guys much more knowledgeable then me when it comes to the tuning.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by white01ss
Yes, you can remove it. I sold mine three years ago!
Thank you, sir! I appreciate the info! MAF is going the way of the do-do after I test-run the engine.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Teching In

Another for Speed Density. If the car is tuned correctly it will run good all the time.

Plenty of cars have come from the factory using speed Density.

Plus on a FI car pushing any good amount of boost its really the only option.

Go read the HP tuners forum. Read read read and read some more.

Quick Reply: MAF or speed density