Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Who has tapped their FMIC Charge tanks for venting of condensation??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010 | 10:27 PM
12 Second Club

Default Who has tapped their FMIC Charge tanks for venting of condensation??

Just wondering if anyone has done this....Was told that some sputtering in the rain and the MAF going crazy has alot to do with humidity making condensation in the charge due to outer temp and IAT diff...and then that gets in the MAF....? I was told to just tap the charge side of the the IC at the most bottom portion and furthest point with a 90* NPT with a -4 line to a fitting and then a plug.....simply unplug when conditions are incliment....i was having alot of trouble...and still am whith getting clost to zero or a lil over and gettting the chuga, chuga, chuga of the motor and the AFRs going crazy....last problem was that my air filter was completley swamp thing!! It was bad...put it back on the stack...in the fender...

I was concerned about boost leak too...but I guess the small hole which is the ID of the -4 line isnt big enough in the sceam of things to make or break things and count much really for a boost leak so to speak...

Im still getting water in my fender well out back under my gas cap...so i too a piece of rubber auto zone special hose and ran it from the OE hole that drains the water out, away from the chasis to prevent rust...and then dumps it in the fender well to slide down into my filter....so this line is gooped at the gas cap area then fishes down the well to the bottom of the car....and a few other lil gaps were filled with some foam for a " Short-term Element Fix" LOL...i put a lil dry charger upside down on my 10" spectur filter...the top is safe..its the bottom still getting some splash...only a lil is exposed but it has a drycharger on it now....and the foam wraps around the filter neck or stack and helps deflect that water...so the theory will be...still get some moisture and splash up there near the base of the filter...but thats it now....

im even using a half moon plate/scrape/whatever you want to call it...splash or debrit gaurd LOL...but its on the bottom of the rubber 90* elbow...and this is all in part with the new vent in the charge of my FMIC...

thoughts and suggestions please?? Thank you...next route is a snorkle the length of a dam antenna!!! LOL ill be happy to go under that water for you!! LOL lil off road action maybe LMAO....u ever seen a submerged GXP?? You want to? LOL...

Thanks all!
Old 05-18-2010 | 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

gotta be someone....if not...seems to be just fine...im not loosing boost psi according to the gauge...but the end of the line does have moisture on it!!
Old 05-18-2010 | 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

If u want a small boost leak then do it. But seriously dont do it its a good way to runion a IC. try covering your filter with a water wicking sock and try not to drive in the rain. Puttin a drain in there wont help, because if u leave it open water may get into it and if its closed then drain u will still have ill effects. Best bet is to try to cover the filter or relocate it.
Old 05-18-2010 | 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

With a SD tune, you don't have to worry about wacky MAF readings...lol.
Old 05-18-2010 | 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

lol, sounds familiar
Old 05-18-2010 | 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

You should kick whoever told you that in the nuts. There should be very little condensation in your IC unless youre doing something wrong.
Old 05-18-2010 | 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

please no.

no humidity & intake & sputtering. your engine heats up so quick that even if condensation formed, it would evaporate and not cause damage.
Old 05-18-2010 | 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

i appreciate it guys...ill plug it! LOL....If any of you look in the new manuals a select rear mount company distributes with their kits now, you will see the ATTETNION slate with underneath it saying something about doing this for DD cars in elements and unpredictable climates....anyone guess who? I wonder why they are saying that....?

it was explained to me as water vapor and condensation collecting or puddling in the IC charge tank...select company employees there apply this theory this way
Old 05-18-2010 | 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Default !

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
If u want a small boost leak then do it. But seriously dont do it its a good way to runion a IC. try covering your filter with a water wicking sock and try not to drive in the rain. Puttin a drain in there wont help, because if u leave it open water may get into it and if its closed then drain u will still have ill effects. Best bet is to try to cover the filter or relocate it.
understood...its the filter everytime...think ive got it nipped in the *** now!! finally! tried socks and stacks and diff filters...as you can read in the post...my new way should take care of the buttoning up of the filter....and this a DD...lol

driving in the rain is a must...thad would be a simple remedy if i could not do that LOL...

Thanks for the info
Old 05-18-2010 | 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Can you head upwards and relocate the filter into the trunk somewhere? That would solve a lot of weather problems.

Jim
Old 05-19-2010 | 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Nothing says cool air like the warm, unmoving air in the trunk!
Old 05-19-2010 | 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Nothing says cool air like the warm, unmoving air in the trunk!
Hey, it was a good question...got the gears turning! LOL...thanks anyways Delta! I have kicked around the idea with some of my buds here in Indy...and some of them even asked about that but, as Dime said, its really just superficial type air...not cool, not fresh....

I think there is a rear mounted CTS-V that did the whole damned turbo and intake in the trunk!! I dont agree with that at all..but to him his own...it def keeps the elements out! LOL...

I had it on the interstate lastnight while is was nice and wet leaving plenty of rooster tail out the back from the tires...which was death to my setup before...so i punched it and tried the new distance and tuck up and foam i put around the base of the turbo in the fender...and the gas cap vapor vent tube i rigged up...and she did just fine...all 3 times!! If there was a problem..it would of shown 2nd or 3rd time for sure as bad as it would happen and as soon as before!

i obviously didnt get *** for traction LOL...torque steer at 75MPH BABY!! LMAO
Old 05-20-2010 | 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

You would need to build in some air intake louvers or something, otherwise your turbo would pull a vacuum in your trunk and crumple your entire rearend inwards - Doh! Of course I didn't just mean suck air from a stock trunk. But you could place the air vent in a much better (rain resistant) spot, like louvers pointing down at the rear of the car, and it wouldn't even be very visible either.

Jim
Old 05-22-2010 | 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
You should kick whoever told you that in the nuts. There should be very little condensation in your IC unless youre doing something wrong.
+1. stupidest thing i have ever heard

do not drill any holes in your piping

sd tuning will cure the problem a little, but you still do not want water inside you motor, at least not when it was not tuned for

Quick Reply: Who has tapped their FMIC Charge tanks for venting of condensation??