Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger oil check

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger oil check

I just changed the oil and I'm wondering how to check the level. Should I screw the dipstick in all the way and then check it? Should I just push it in all the way and then check? It seems to me like the dipstick is too long and it would hit the bottom and fold over, which wouldn't be giving me an accurate reading of the oil level. Does anybody know the proper procedure for checking?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I screw dipstick all the way in and then check it
Old 06-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
I screw dipstick all the way in and then check it
That was what I did originally, but I missed the hole with some (I thought maybe close to an oz.) of the oil and it still showed my level over the max so I thought maybe it shouldn't go in all the way. I tried putting it in until I felt like it might have touched bottom, but I really can't tell if it's hitting bottom or I'm imagining it.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I tighten my dip stick too. One nice thing with my D1 is it just takes a full bottle. I would dip it a few times and add a little move if you keep comming up low, I dont think the cabel can hit the bottom.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

The p1 and d1 take the full 6 oz while the F1 gets just 4oz. Aslong as you have oil in it you will be fine.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Teching In

I understand that I should just put the whole bottle in (6oz.) and I would be fine, but I was pouring and didn't realize I was missing the hole. I couldn't tell how much I missed with because it was soaking into the ground already so I decided to check the dipstick and it is showing that I'm overfilled. I don't know how I'm overfilled if I didn't even get the whole bottle in there.

Conan, you might be right about the cable not reaching the bottom. I will try to take a look at that this weekend when I get a chance. It's just so $^@# hard to get to. I'm not too worried but at the same time I'm not real sure what happens if there really is too much oil in the supercharger. The same thing goes for the motor oil. I don't know what happens when you overfill it. I can't imagine it hurting anything, but at the same time I don't think they'd warn you not to overfill it if there weren't any consequences.

Last edited by TRBOTYZ; 06-02-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

If you overfill the charger or your motor you run the risk of blowing seals.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MR2liter
If you overfill the charger or your motor you run the risk of blowing seals.
Gotchya, thanks for that info.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

how can you miss the hole, lol
dipstick has to be screwed in-is your supercharher clocked correct?
the drain plug has to be at 6 o clock for the oil slinger to work
you might be better off draining it again and starting over, and pour in the correct amount, then ck the dipstick, better wasting a bottle of oil than the supercharger-also pull the stick before draining
Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by forcd ind
how can you miss the hole, lol
dipstick has to be screwed in-is your supercharher clocked correct?
the drain plug has to be at 6 o clock for the oil slinger to work
you might be better off draining it again and starting over, and pour in the correct amount, then ck the dipstick, better wasting a bottle of oil than the supercharger-also pull the stick before draining
It was dark and I was nervous. Give me a break.

I went to Home Depot and bought the smallest diameter tubing that they had hoping it would fit into the hole. I ran it down to the hole and thought it was in there to start with, but apparently it wasn't "in there", because I barely moved while I was pouring the oil in, and the next time I looked down I saw that my tube was not in the hole anymore and there was a puddle on the ground.

Yes, the drain looks to be around 6. I did think about draining it and trying again, but I don't have anymore oil so I'll have to order some. I just remembered I was changing the motor oil at the same time and had the car jacked up on one side so I probably kept some oil in the s/c that I didn't know about. I also did not take the stick out before I drained it.

Do you guys normally get some metal on your plug when you change the oil? It is my first time with this so I'm not sure if it's normal. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Teching In

No metal on my plug when I remove the oil. That doesnt sound good. What I do to change the oil is get 2 big straws from like Mcdonalds. Put one in side the other and use that to get to the hole in the top. Works perfect and its almost impossible to miss. Plus straws are free!
Old 06-03-2010, 01:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SoccerStudd101
No metal on my plug when I remove the oil. That doesnt sound good. What I do to change the oil is get 2 big straws from like Mcdonalds. Put one in side the other and use that to get to the hole in the top. Works perfect and its almost impossible to miss. Plus straws are free!
Nice! I just put my finger on the tip of bottle, find the opening, then stab it!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guys, I tried changing the headunit oil earlier today but ran into a problem. I was able to drain the fluid by unscrewing the bolt at the bottom of the headunit. I then tried to unscrew the screw at the top of the headunit in order to pour the Procharger oil into the headunit. I purchased a longer flat-head screw driver (3/16 x 9") and wasn't able to turn the screw in either direction. Do I need a to purchase a thicker flat-head screw driver? What size screw driver do you guys use? I really don't want to removed the headunit so any help will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance...

-Zeke
Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeke34
Hey guys, I tried changing the headunit oil earlier today but ran into a problem. I was able to drain the fluid by unscrewing the bolt at the bottom of the headunit. I then tried to unscrew the screw at the top of the headunit in order to pour the Procharger oil into the headunit. I purchased a longer flat-head screw driver (3/16 x 9") and wasn't able to turn the screw in either direction. Do I need a to purchase a thicker flat-head screw driver? What size screw driver do you guys use? I really don't want to removed the headunit so any help will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance...

-Zeke

This is the screwdriver set I have. See the hex nut under the handle, you can use a wrench to help turn the screw driver while you push down on the screw. The big one in the middle is the one I use for the blower screw its a 1/4 by 12'' long.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...5964550&sr=1-1
Old 06-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zeke34

-Zeke
I used a (1/4 x 12.5") and didn't have much of a problem. That was the easy part. The hard part was getting the oil back in there afterward. Good luck to you.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:15 AM
10 Second Club

I just pull blower off to do oil change, also replace the belt while it's off (got to love Napa lifetime warranty belts!)
Old 06-08-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the help guys, I don't have much of a tool collection so I'm going to purchase a 1/4" x 12" (or longer) screw driver sometime today. As far as getting the oil into the head unit, I've got some left over tubing from my Snow Performance meth/water injection kit that surprisingly fits perfectly over the bottle nozzle so we'll see how that goes. AFASTYZFR1, I'll have to keep NAPA in mind for belts in the future. Thanks again guys...

Quick Reply: Procharger oil check