Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blew the oil dipstick tube out

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
Man, keep the SC kit... there has to be another way here.
+1

If you give up that easily you will NEVER have a FI LS1. It's a never ending road to keep a car like this.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not a big SC fan but have to agree that you shouldn't be so quick to jump ship. Unless you bought the SC kit used, you are going to take a beating on it. How much would freight cost to ship a short block up there?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -Q-

I'll rebuild the motor I have with forged rods/pistons and good components, and come back to the FI world later when I have the coin. XtremeDime might even talk me into a turbo setup this time
Realistically, you need to make the decision to stay FI now. Theres no point in building an NA motor, only to have to tear back open to get dished pistons to get the compression down.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:12 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
+1

If you give up that easily you will NEVER have a FI LS1. It's a never ending road to keep a car like this.
Man, its not about giving up...it's about a lack of money! I don't WANT to sell the kit, but if I don't, I can just put a cover on the car right now and not drive it again until next summer. I simply do no have the cash to buy a new motor or rebuild mine AND keep the kit. I only get about 5 good months to drive the car up here, and I'd just assume not spend those months looking at a blown motor in my garage. Like I said, I build a forged motor this time with some good heads and decent cam, enjoy the car as-is for a while, and then I'll be ready to throw some boost at it when I can afford another kit. I really think I should have done it that way in the first place. In hindsight, putting a blower setup on a motor with 80,000 miles might not have been the best idea...

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I'm not a big SC fan but have to agree that you shouldn't be so quick to jump ship. Unless you bought the SC kit used, you are going to take a beating on it. How much would freight cost to ship a short block up there?
I bought the kit used, so I won't take too bad a hit on it. A buddy of mine had a complete motor shipped up here from Seattle for about $200 freight.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

I have a stock short block for sale......maybe we can work something out and have it shipped up to you. Then turn the boost down to 8psi and LISTEN TO FROST SO IT WOULDN'T BLOW AGAIN!!!!

Pm me if your interested, price on motor is negotiable

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...hortblock.html
Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1
I have a stock short block for sale......maybe we can work something out and have it shipped up to you. Then turn the boost down to 8psi and LISTEN TO FROST SO IT WOULDN'T BLOW AGAIN!!!!

Pm me if your interested, price on motor is negotiable

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...hortblock.html
I appreciate the offer and the advice...I really do. But how exactly is a stock shortblock with 60,000 miles on it going to offer me any assurances that this won't happen again? From everything I've read, stock LS1s lose the ringlands pretty easily. I could put a used shortblock in, bolt everything back up, put a smaller blower pulley on, and have a ringland let go the next day just like this one.

I'm not trying to be brash, and I really do appreciate all the advice and comments you guys have offered. I just can't justify sinking more money into this FI build at this point. Hell, I still need a clutch! I haven't even addressed that yet...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Realistically, you need to make the decision to stay FI now. Theres no point in building an NA motor, only to have to tear back open to get dished pistons to get the compression down.
I didn't have to have dished pistons for this build, why would I need them later on? The most I'd have to swap back out would be a cam. I can make plenty of power with a good set of ported 243s, blower cam, and blower/turbo at around 10psi on pump gas.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

If you only want 10psi, ya thats fine. lol
Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
If you only want 10psi, ya thats fine. lol
Don't make me smack you.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 PM
FormerVendor

Meth. Dos nozzles.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -Q-
I saw that you had it listed on Craigslist...I'd definitely be interested, but I'm not confident in my ability to assemble a shortblock since I've never done one. And I can't afford to spend a bunch of money only to screw something up again.
Well maybe we could work something out....Like a trade for your kit(supercharger) for mine(block, Lunati crank/Ati dampner, Eagle Rods, Weisco pistons, ARP head bolts, some new gaskets.) Just shooting something out there to help you out.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:05 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chevybowtie
Well maybe we could work something out....Like a trade for your kit(supercharger) for mine(block, Lunati crank/Ati dampner, Eagle Rods, Weisco pistons, ARP head bolts, some new gaskets.) Just shooting something out there to help you out.
I really appreciate that. I'll shoot you a PM about your stuff.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

+2

if it cost 200 to ship it up there, and you can find a 5.3 shortblock (they are not at all known for loosing ringlands and have proven VERY reliable under FI) with less than 50k miles for 400 bucks, then your 600 dollars into a motor that will hold 650+whp

hell ill find you a shortblock and palletize it and have it shipped if you like, there practically used for yard ornaments down here
Old 06-30-2010, 03:10 PM
FormerVendor

I'm guessing this thing failed leak down?
Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Steve, I'll email you soon. Have a different motor and NA setup going in.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Let me know when were pulling out your old motor, Ill swing by.

Quick Reply: Blew the oil dipstick tube out