Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My new turbo ride...eh, project

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default My new turbo ride...eh, project

...lol. I couldn't resist the price of this thing,.. A friend at work needed to get rid of one of his mustangs... a notch back 1993 2.3 liter. No body damage,..other then a mild stock hood dent. The interior looks like ****,..as in the carpet and seats. I will rip that out though and replace the front seats with a set of 1995 GT seats. The carpet, will be black,..or I may just remove it all together...since the stock carpet looks like ****. The car has...

1993 2.3 liter motor
SVO turbo pistons
svo manifold(cracked-removed it today)
M112 jap turbo...t3/t4. Removed it today,..as the car smoked bad,..I suspected a bad turbo but, the guy bought it new months ago...it looks new but,..the wheels came in contact with the housings soo,..its done. Already talked to my sponsor for a replacement.
HKS old *** BOV
internal wastegate
spearco intercooler
HIDs
aftermarket speakers in all factory locations.
Big *** KICKER amp
box, two 12's.
MSD coils(two,..since its a 2 plug per cylinder)
saturn S series el;ectric fan.
ponys(no center caps)
pioneer head unit.
magnaflow dual Y-d off exhaust, appearing like stock LX 5.0 tail pipes.
walboro 255
19 pound injectors
auto meter boost gauge
autometer gay piggy back wideband gauge, on a pillar.

It needs-fix the manifold or replace it, trying to fix it now,..replace the turbo,..not worth fixing,..carpet,..or remove it all together,.. maybe some four wheel disc from a newer mustang, this one has drums in rear. Other then that,..it runs.

I got it cheap...like,..cheap. So,..I figure I will relieve some stress,..and work on something fun, but cheap for a change. The vette is almost finished,..but,...the parts required for it are costly soo,.. I needed something to vent to. This is it. I also have a few friends,..girls and guys, that have never driven anything in a performance manner. I'd like to get this thing running, cage,..suspension(like maybe 0ut of an 03 cobra-IRS then coilovers)..making 300whp or soo,..and letting people drive it at autocross's, or drag strips,..to learn some physics.

Anyways,..if all else fails,..it'll get an LS motor with forced induction of some sort sooner or later.

Heres the beater...this would be the third mustang I have owned,.. but the first one in about 10 years. Gonna try and work something out with my body shop so we can get it painted some color...

Old 06-21-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not much of a Ford guy....but allways did like that body style the best of all 80's-90's Mustangs...call me crazy. Looks like it was a pretty fair deal
Old 06-21-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hate ford bro.

I had no intention but,..I have always dug the notch myself. Plus,..I know soo many people that race these cars locally,..on a big scale, I knew I could always pass it along to someone that REALLY needed it. But,..all in all, I wanted it,...for the turbo, and the fact that it was a notch. I thouht it was something kinda cool. ..or could be.

I got it for a really good deal... so,..I couldnt pass itup.

I had big problems with SVT years ago when I was blowing up motors all the time. They hated me,..I hated them. Long story short,..I said I would never buy another ford,..and here I am.

lol.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

all bs aside i hear the SVO's kicked ***, congrats
Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks man.

Anything with a turbo,..as you know, as great capability. I don't know if this one will ever be fast but,..I am hoping it'll be cheap and fun. Looking for various parts places for it/mustangs as well. I know tinyavenger motorsports is a place that mods these things. I can't afford to get crazy with it but,..hopeing I can come across various used parts here and there for it.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say thorw 4.6 Terminator engine with single 76mm and Terminator complete interior....

Congrats now finish the damn Vette I wanna see some vids.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

hey you wanna sell that notch cheap i am only a little prejudice. i have seen svos wheels up. i also guess ls motors fit.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1 week ban.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by venom ws7
I say thorw 4.6 Terminator engine with single 76mm and Terminator complete interior....

Congrats now finish the damn Vette I wanna see some vids.
I would if I had access to those motors as I do Ls's. Only way I could afford that, is if I stole one. Since I am a model citizen ... that aint happening.

At the moment, the 4 banger stays in,..when that is tired,...an LS will go in place, more then likely. I doubt it will go FI any time soon with an LSX. We would honestly have more fun in that car, if we had a cam only-450-500rwhp setup, NA,..with a decent set of coilovers and some tires,...cage,..and an autocross. That to me, would be alot of fun. I really wanna get a competition liscense,... the vette, is too straightline radical(it handles around every corner I have ever asked it to at ungodly speeds) at the power level it'll be around, so the gay *** mustang,..would be the best way to have fun, and not worry about hurting anything.

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
hey you wanna sell that notch cheap i am only a little prejudice. i have seen svos wheels up. i also guess ls motors fit.
After racing turbocharged 4 cylinders on the street against my cam only vette years ago, I realized anything with a turbo, had potential. Even more of a believer after you start messing with them yourself. I don't wanna sell it hommie,...not now. I have spent the last two days on my lunch break ripping the old tired seats out, and carpet,...and oh,..yes, I am a terroist. I killed and terroized thousands of ANTS inside that ****** today. Dammit man,..**** was nasty. Anyways, carpet is out, seats are out,..bug bomb goes in tomorrow for a crazy fucked up insect interior carnival party inside the mustang. Whatever I didn't kill today,..surely will be K walked by monday. Car is already looking better, simply by removing all of the garbage out of it. Seriously nasty ****.....but, no rust,..will disinfect monday,..clean interior plastic,..paint some ****...install seats.

Hoping to go to turbo shop tomorrow to see what I can grab.

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
1 week ban.
haha.

I wouldnt blame you. I am trying to not let this thing overshadow the vette but, parts are sooooooooo cheap in comparison. Stupid crazy. But man,..think of this car, ..with a decent but cheap suspension in dollars,..300-400 wheel(4 cyl)....better yet,..think of it NA LSX,...500 wheel,... weld in cage,..decent stopping power?.... you mean to tell me you wouldnt wanna take it around the course of an autocross or something? It would be a blast. Long tubes,..bullets...

I really do wanna ***** this car out. Anybody could drive it. You,..my family, friends, some chick i'm banging. Doesn't matter. It's cheap, so why not?

Believe me, I wish it was a third gen f body,..or 4th gen but,.. for the price.....couldnt say no.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Turbo Addict

I think those cars are neat, so I say good decision. Nothing like cheap fun. A guy up the street has a 500ishrwhp one....as well as all kinds of other, more powerful cars....but said the turbo 4 banger is more fun to drive than any of the other cars he has.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
I think those cars are neat, so I say good decision. Nothing like cheap fun. A guy up the street has a 500ishrwhp one....as well as all kinds of other, more powerful cars....but said the turbo 4 banger is more fun to drive than any of the other cars he has.
Cool deal.

Took the broken *** turbo to the turbo shop today. Gonna end up putting a GARRETT cartridge in place, as well as a new compressor housing. should be a fun lil bolt on. The factory CRACKED manifold, is at my boys house,..he already sand blasted it,..said it seemed to have a coating on it(maybe ceramic?)... anyways, almost finished cleaning, then he's gonna weld the crack.

Hoping to have it completely running by next week.... need to figure out proper injector(19's are in place now,..insufficent) and a MAF for the injector. Then I gotta pull PCM,.. and have a chip burned for it from my diablosport hommies.

That,..and I am ordering pushrods for the vette,..so, the vette motor, should be complete next week as well,...minus my intake,..whatever that will be when I buy it.

Peace out
Old 06-24-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Resident

...... "I also have a few friends,..girls and guys, that have never driven anything in a performance manner. I'd like to get this thing running, cage,..suspension(like maybe 0ut of an 03 cobra-IRS then coilovers)..making 300whp or soo,..and letting people drive it at autocross's, or drag strips,..to learn some physics".....

It must be nice to be one of your new friends!......
Old 06-24-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Sweet!

A think your idea of a N/A 460-500rwhp 5.7 (even a used 6.0 with L92's) would be prefect for a track/autocross car. It already has the weight stats you want to start with, all you have to do is slowly piece it together. Tires, brakes and chassis/suspension is where I would probably start. Get the car to feel good, then add power and readjust if necessary.

You still got the same spot there at the dealer? Maybe I'll swing by when that rare white-FRC is ready and also check out the stang.

A.

edit: OH! Raid Fumigator, get it! It comes in packs of three and it leaves no oily residue or funky smell... well, not that bad really.... probably better than what it smells like now! That stuff works great. I know cuz my buddy (who is terrified of spiders.... sissy!!) found what he though was a brown recluse on his dash. He smacked it like a chick and it stormed off behind a panel. He freaked out and was ready to sell the car... no lie! He used the raid stuff and it seemed to work.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
...... "I also have a few friends,..girls and guys, that have never driven anything in a performance manner. I'd like to get this thing running, cage,..suspension(like maybe 0ut of an 03 cobra-IRS then coilovers)..making 300whp or soo,..and letting people drive it at autocross's, or drag strips,..to learn some physics".....

It must be nice to be one of your new friends!......

Your from ohio,...I was born in ohio... we're friends....just as long as your not a steelers fan.

Seriously.

We all have friends that woulda coulda shoulda owned a car,...and operated it in eh,...hostile enviornments(roadrace/drag race-whatever)...but the sad fact is they cant afford it,..dont have time/space/money.whatever. This is soo cheap...and with being able to do the work myself,.. they'll finally get there chance.

I have a couple of HOT females in mind that always wanna drive the vette soo,...they cant start here,..maybe work they're way up. But yeah man,..this one is all about the people.

..the vette is my bitch.

Originally Posted by obZidian
Sweet!

A think your idea of a N/A 460-500rwhp 5.7 (even a used 6.0 with L92's) would be prefect for a track/autocross car. It already has the weight stats you want to start with, all you have to do is slowly piece it together. Tires, brakes and chassis/suspension is where I would probably start. Get the car to feel good, then add power and readjust if necessary.

You still got the same spot there at the dealer? Maybe I'll swing by when that rare white-FRC is ready and also check out the stang.

A.

edit: OH! Raid Fumigator, get it! It comes in packs of three and it leaves no oily residue or funky smell... well, not that bad really.... probably better than what it smells like now! That stuff works great. I know cuz my buddy (who is terrified of spiders.... sissy!!) found what he though was a brown recluse on his dash. He smacked it like a chick and it stormed off behind a panel. He freaked out and was ready to sell the car... no lie! He used the raid stuff and it seemed to work.
lol,...I feel your friend on the brown devil spiders. Used to do construction since the age of 16,...had one of those bastard ***** spiders launch out at me,...crazy bastards. Those things are like the navy seals of spiders.... as that remains the only spider that actually attacked me. Lil *******.

Will do on the RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAID(lol)... I was just thinking about that, as I dont wanna have something too ,..eh, pungent? Or possible ruin the already worn interior plastic. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

UPDATE:

Soo,..dropped the tired turbo off. I suspect that the original owner didnt tighten the turbo(4 bolt) to the manifold,... caused an air gap,...and a lean condition,...caused the manifold to crack,..the air gap(loose flange) allowed the turbo gasket to flop around in the turblant air,...then finally came apart,..finding it's way into the exhaust housing, and killing the exhaust housing WHEEL,...which killed the compressor housing wheel as they both made contact with eachothers housings. The ext wheel broke 1 blade,..the compressor blades stayed in tact.

I dropped the turbo off at a local turbo company that takes care of all of my turbo needs, plus they are 15 minutes from work,..so its awesome. Dropped it off thursday, they had it ready for me on friday,...I had them send it to me today.

New GARRETT cartridge, new wheels, new compressor housing,..etc,.. essentially, a brand new turbo...and gaskets.

Heres the pictures...

Bad exhaust wheel...

compressor side...

ancient HKS BOV...

New turbo...manual boost controller...and two MSD coils that came with the car.

A direct comparison to the SATURN SKY TURBO,...vs my mustang turbo...compressor sides..

exhaust....

Hoping the manifold comes back from my boys house tomorrow or sometime this week atleast.

for now, if you look closly at the manfiold,..as it was on the car, you can see the cracks...

Its coming together.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

vs my 67's.. size compario...

Old 06-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Ford is already rejecting you. Get rid of it before it kills you.

Glad to see you getting your eye back on the ball.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
The Ford is already rejecting you. Get rid of it before it kills you.

Glad to see you getting your eye back on the ball.
I will shoot the living **** out of that mustang with one of my guns before it gets the best of me. Besides, ford rejected my *** when I was 16 with my first car. Guess I havent learned yet.

Speaking of back on track,...I need some pushrods for the white devil. 7.52 or 7.525 in length. Any idea(anyone) where I could find these?

Quick Reply: My new turbo ride...eh, project