Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why no Kenne Bells?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket5979
Uuuum they do have a bypass valve, unless you are just saying that the Maggies have a different design of one.

Kenne Bell and Whipple are pretty much your top of the line positive displacement type blower, then comes Maggies with their TVS followed by all the other TVS blowers, then the regular Eaton based roots blowers.

Hey OP what size KB blower did you go with? 1.7, 2.1, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, 2.8???
I went with the 2.8 one. We got it on yesterday but we have to cut in the hood. So it went back off.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Vettes that I see with them have aftermarket hoods.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Yea I got a vis cowl hood. Even with the hood that comes with the tuner kit you are supposedly have to cut. It's the back part where the hood meets the cowl.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

I have one on my c6. Most it put down is 550, but also i have 500+tq at 2k at the wheels with 11lbs of boost. In my opinion the heat exchanger is a joke, its tiny as hell. Meth kit is a must, only way that i keep my iats in the 180s and thats stop and go traffic. Where as if i didnt run meth they go just over 220. I have been looking for an upgrade, which I might have found. I beleive it was ECS that did a hummer for a customer in Dubai, it looked very promising.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Default ttt

The Kenne Bell on the corvette per say are junk, Now the Mustangs and the others on stock forum are good. I had the 2.8H on my vette had all kind of problems IAT where out the roof and the thing only made less than 650 rwhp. I pulled it off and the only diff put a A/A YSI unit on the car motor and made 857 rwhp on a Mustang dyno. I know some one said above that the Kenne bell pulls as good as the cenfi units. No way will the kenne bell do this on the top end. You tuner will have to ZERO out the whole table in the tune on the IAT with the Kenne bell. This is what jeff does or did in the past. Plus the way jeff lies about stuff cant believe nothing he would tell you.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if your furnace ever breaks, you can hook a kenne bell up to a electric motor and heat your house.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
FormerVendor

We will not install or tune any KB's here, if that tells you anything..
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
if your furnace ever breaks, you can hook a kenne bell up to a electric motor and heat your house.
That is funny I dont care who you are. I am guessing you were also lied to by the big mouth JEFF.

Originally Posted by East Coast Supercharging
We will not install or tune any KB's here, if that tells you anything..
I agree just not worth the problems when the thing dont make the # then the customer is thinking it is the shop who ever the shop will be.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Launching!

What would you think would be the best route? Run some meth on it or bring it in to kb and have them do the liquid cooled upgrade to the blower, or both?
Thanks
Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28MP
What would you think would be the best route? Run some meth on it or bring it in to kb and have them do the liquid cooled upgrade to the blower, or both?
Thanks
The meth dont work that good at all with the K.B. on the vettes. Due the the intake.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sell it, go turbo.

Na thought of the joke at the moment. thought it fit. ive done one maggie and a couple turbo cars. turbo is the only way i will go if i am not building a pickup tq monster. then i would do a s/c.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by novaflash2002
o yea sorry, the one that is the size of a sharpie marker in diameter.

Bullshit! The vacuum bypass in my KB 2.2 blower is about 1.5-1.75" in diameter. Wouldn't exactly call that a sharpie marker sized bypass.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frost
I don't work on Mustang so I honestly don't know.

There is conflicting info in this thread related to the bypass; my understanding is that the blower is always compressing. I tend to believe that this is the case, because they get hot just babying them around.
If you are talking about the HE itself, mounted in the front bumper then mine in my Ford is the same size as an 03-04 Cobra stock HE. Roughly about 1.5" thick, 28"-30" long, and about 8" tall by my recollection. Haven't been around the truck for a while so that is just pulling the dimensions off of the top of my head. To keep your IAT's in better check with a TS blower it is all about having a bigger HE with more fluid cooling capacity and a good IC pump. This will DRAMATICALLY decrease heatsoak. Adding an electric pusher fan to it will also help if you so choose to add one.

It seems KB has changed some over the years, especially when they started making their blower in house versus using Autorotor blowers. Back when it was just the 1.7, 2.2, and 2.4 the quality was really good and they made GREAT power and IAT's were manageable. Back then they always had GREAT product but lousy customer service, and straight up lied about a few things back then too. I don't have any direct experience with their big bore 2.6, 2.8 and whatnot units but it does seem people are having more issues for some reason. I am willing to bet that when they started making their stuff in house that quality control may have become an issue. Just my guess looking at the situation developing over the last 8 years.

The TS's do always compress but while the vehicle is idling or very near idle the blower is not supplying enough air for the engine. So the vacuum bypass diaphragm is hooked up to manifold vacuum in the lower intake manifold. Once it senses vac then it sucks the vacuum bypass open and you are pulling in air around the blower itself while at idle or very mild part throttle.

Last edited by rocket5979; 06-29-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Launching!

It seems KB has changed some over the years, especially when they started making their blower in house versus using Autorotor blowers. Back when it was just the 1.7, 2.2, and 2.4 the quality was really good and they made GREAT power and IAT's were manageable. Back then they always had GREAT product but lousy customer service, and straight up lied about a few things back then too. I don't have any direct experience with their big bore 2.6, 2.8 and whatnot units but it does seem people are having more issues for some reason. I am willing to bet that when they started making their stuff in house that quality control may have become an issue. Just my guess looking at the situation developing over the last 8 years.
The vette kits aren't made by KB btw. Someone purchases the blowers from KB and makes everything else. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the units themselves.

What IATs do the Ford guys see? I see them posting about 700/800+ rwhp from the big KB blowers on GT500s/Cobras.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ysb02
The vette kits aren't made by KB btw. Someone purchases the blowers from KB and makes everything else. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the units themselves.

What IATs do the Ford guys see? I see them posting about 700/800+ rwhp from the big KB blowers on GT500s/Cobras.
I agree with you it is just the corvette that this unit is having problems with the IAT AND ALSO NOT MAKING GOOD RWHP. Like jeff will tell you it will on the vettes. The Mustangs and the new camero,s the T/S set up is doing good.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by robert miller
I agree with you it is just the corvette that this unit is having problems with the IAT AND ALSO NOT MAKING GOOD RWHP. Like jeff will tell you it will on the vettes. The Mustangs and the new camero,s the T/S set up is doing good.
Also it's Kenne Bell designing + making these kits for the fbodies / 'stangs so they have some manpower. With the current KB vendor if something would ever happen to the person/shop you would not be able to get replacement parts and be SOL.

I wouldn't call the T/S a better design over the roots, it's just different and has its own pros/cons. For all the talk about efficiency on the T/S they seem to produce a lot of heat.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:42 PM
FormerVendor

They are miserable on the Vettes.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Frost, great responses! Honest man!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frost
They are miserable on the Vettes.
Say that double for me man. After having now the YSI and seeing what the F1A will do in the vettes or any other car. I would never have nothing more in my car unless it was a ttix kit in it. Sure in the hell will never ever look at a kenne bell. After the vendor that sells them over in the corvette forum.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bullshit! The vacuum bypass in my KB 2.2 blower is about 1.5-1.75" in diameter. Wouldn't exactly call that a sharpie marker sized bypass.
o sorry; so like a king size sharpie. the point is if the bypass worked correctly the s/c should cool back down, but they don't. it holds heat for some reason, usually because they are compressing (or in boost) all of the time.

Quick Reply: Why no Kenne Bells?