Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Guys running WILSON intake manifolds come in

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve train noise?

These are very nice ,BAD *** intakes IMO
I was looking at a Wilson LS6 Billet intake for my APS build and a buddy of mine told me last week that when you go to a sheet metal intake , it amplifies the sound of the valve train big time and said that i definatly wouldnt be happy with the added noise that comes with the performance gains .He said in not so many words that its like bolting a metal drum atop the engine sound wise? I was just wondering if any of you sheet metal intake guys have noticed an increase in valvetrain noise at all?

You would kinda think that metal would amplifie noise more when compareing it to the stock composite materials that are used on the LS6/LS2 intakes?
Old 07-05-2010, 01:29 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
Hard to argue with those numbers. A 2.5% spread is awesome. Thanks for the data Phil!
We've made some changes that will tighten up the spread even more, there are a couple things that will effect the EGT spread the intake airflow distribution being one. The spread should be under 1.75% this year.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
why is that?
it was my thought that the point of an FI set up was so you could force in the air there for not have to count on the intake/heads as much as say an N/A motor. but on the same note im still in the little dick daddy world. i can only dream of making the kinda of power yall make. so im sure that on a motor like mine that only makes like 700ish its not as important to have a S/M intake and something like a Vic Jr will be fine.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickys S/C Z28
it was my thought that the point of an FI set up was so you could force in the air there for not have to count on the intake/heads as much as say an N/A motor. but on the same note im still in the little dick daddy world. i can only dream of making the kinda of power yall make. so im sure that on a motor like mine that only makes like 700ish its not as important to have a S/M intake and something like a Vic Jr will be fine.
LS6 will be perfectly fine.

Anything that can improve airflow is always a good thing. But whether it offers value for money or not in terms of bhp per $$$ is another matter.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Wilson intake has been better on anything I have tested it against that will fit in the same location. Cost for hp gained is always personal preference, but that intake new is pretty rich for my blood.

Kurt
Old 07-05-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kurt-Have you been able to get a Marcella to compare to the Wilson?

Shawn- Thanks for your help. Looking forward to having this BA intake built!
Old 07-05-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never tested the low Marcella, I just had the factory LS7, FAST and Wilson. They all fit under the factory cowl and the Wilson was the most powerful. It was equal anywhere and better once the revs came up.

Kurt
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 168 Likes on 111 Posts

any more input from people running these types of custom intakes?

Quick Reply: Guys running WILSON intake manifolds come in