Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharge or Vortech or Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Procharge or Vortech or Twin Turbo

Which one is better so that you gain hp and no problems in short term(less than 5 y) and does it consume fuel a lot? Can I install by my self with book instruction or it is difficult? Breviary, want to kick *** Cobra 03 480 hp

who much ever one cost?
Old 01-23-2004, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I will start to install my procharger this weekend.. I wanted a fast street car with little or no problems so i decided to go with the procharger... Turbos cost a little more and seem to be a little more complicated. I always liked the procharger and since i'm doing the install myself the procharger is suspose to be the least difficult to install...Although they have belt slipping with higher boost but i plan on staying around 8lbs...and they are coming out with a optional 8 rib
Old 01-23-2004, 05:43 PM
9 Second Club

Take a ridein , better yet drive a turbo V8, you'll never think about a S/C ever again. There are guys that switch from a S/C to turbo, not many guys go the other way around.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Stick with vortec if you want trouble free there the only manufacturer that hasn`t had any serious problems that i can recall . On the other hand all that stuff on top of the engine looks like crap in my opinion. If you want worry free operation don`t go the turbo route it`s a never ending battle to keep things up and running correctly. But damn are they fun!
Old 01-24-2004, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on what you want; fast, pretty, or broke down? (respectively)

hehehe J/K
Old 01-28-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

There is a member has Vortech Charge see his car in pic. Anyone know him?
Old 01-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Teching In

my O2:
i'm a happy vortech owner.. they are durable.
procharger is popular and has a nice intercooler,. but you can intercool the vortechs too or aftercool.
twin turbo is expensive.
i would go vortech for price durability and performance,. very good overall.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Charger

Ive got a 99 silverado thats making 360 rwhp at the wheels on stock tuning. Ive got a P-1SC on it. It runs up to 9-10 pounds of boost. I havent had any problems with it. You can get a three year warranty with them and the good thing is that they are self contained. When installing them you dont have to drill or tap any lines for oil. They are very moderatly priced for what you get. By the way, what does an aftercooler do exactly?
Old 01-29-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default aftercooler

The intercooler or aftercooler as some call it,does just what the name implies,it cools the air intake charge thus allowing for more boost and resist detonation,Procharger?? I have had nothing but trouble with them and the company. BEWARE !! even with a warranty it will always come back to you as your fault for the failure and they will not repair it under warranty....Go to Procharger Review online and read a little and it might make you change your mind about purchasing one.......... .
Old 01-30-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MYTURBOT/A
Stick with vortec if you want trouble free there the only manufacturer that hasn`t had any serious problems that i can recall :
So what do you mean about free problem? Isn’t a good supercharging? Did any one face problem on it?
Old 01-30-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry, i ment you will not have much for problems with the vortec. The vortec system would be my choice if i ever decided to ditch the turbo.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

a stock vortech system doesnt produce near as much power as a procharger system. when its underpowered nothing is going to go wrong. besides, a P-1sc is good up to 700-800 horsepower.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

I'm very happy with my procharger. I'm making 440hp to the back tires and I dynoed the car when it was 89* degrees outside. I have never had any problems with the procharger! Vortec vs. Procharger vs. Turbo is just opions. If you don't wan't problems per say > than don't by a LS1 and change things on it. Don't be mis-led! LS1's are pretty much a problem waiting to happen. You just have to love that type of thing....I do.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

i don't vote for procharger i drove car with it and i didn't see any gain in power,,

if u wanna race COBRAs get a H/C and spray and u will kill any caobra on the street
Old 02-02-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a 87 3rd gen with a grand national engine and i have rode in cars with s/c they are quik but the feeling u get with a turbo is awsome but like everyone says there is always something to fix i love my car but everytime i race it is like a 50 50 chance something is going to break. if u are serious about turbos talked to my best friend noyzee he is pretty smart when it comes to that he could tell u what will probabnly go wrong before it even happens but any way good luck!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

All I'm going to say is read this .........
00 Turbo Z28 vs 98 Procharged Trans Am

Nuff said thanks!

My TA is on stock programming and a FMU. I am adding new Pullies for more boost, injectors and a tune
Old 02-03-2004, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've got the money and the skill, def a turbo setup. "Free" hp, full boost at a mid rpm, more readily adjustable boost... the benefits of a turbo of a supercharger are pretty clear. Plus,, your car will get twice as many looks at car shows.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Lightbulb

[QUOTE=DarkblueTA]All I'm going to say is read this .........
00 Turbo Z28 vs 98 Procharged Trans Am

So what I understand they are equal
Old 02-03-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Super Mario
If you've got the money and the skill, def a turbo setup. "Free" hp, full boost at a mid rpm, more readily adjustable boost... the benefits of a turbo of a supercharger are pretty clear. Plus,, your car will get twice as many looks at car shows.
Actually no offense to the turbos, but S/Cs look way better at car shows. Both the Vortech and the Prochrager have way more bling than the rusted manifold look of the turbo setups we have. S/Cs are way louder at idle. It's only with suffucient throttle that you can really hear a turbo setup and all it's glory. Don't get me wrong both are great and the adjustability of the turbos boost is a big bonus in my book. But let's not sell the blower short. It's cheaper, more reliable, and can deliver just as much power, cfm, and boost as any turbo.

Mike
Old 02-03-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bet i got more bling than the average blower setup You can hear my turbos anytime the engine is running

Originally Posted by buschman
Actually no offense to the turbos, but S/Cs look way better at car shows. Both the Vortech and the Prochrager have way more bling than the rusted manifold look of the turbo setups we have. S/Cs are way louder at idle. It's only with suffucient throttle that you can really hear a turbo setup and all it's glory. Don't get me wrong both are great and the adjustability of the turbos boost is a big bonus in my book. But let's not sell the blower short. It's cheaper, more reliable, and can deliver just as much power, cfm, and boost as any turbo.

Mike

Quick Reply: Procharge or Vortech or Twin Turbo