Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Weird Setup idea...with questions (turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok..so a few things to answer here....there is room for the front mount 60mm if i put a different radiator in..and if i move the battery to the back..then i would fit the 106mm...either way it will be tight since it doesnt belong in there in the first place...and im not tryin to re-invent the wheel...simply just putting better tires on it so it will perform better...and the reason i would like to do this kind of a setup is because i have a manual...would love to do BIG boost..and around 1000hp when it is all said and done...i know this is a big project....but when has a working guy ever finished his project in one weekend...not like this..it will take years..and that doesnt bother me..i have plenty of time
Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

plus the LS motor would have a hard time spooling the 106mm turbo by its self...the 60mm wont even make full boost till 3100 rpms...sooo imagine the 106 by its self....maybe full boost at 4000rpms...???
Old 09-10-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Just run one correct sized turbo. Don't reinvent the wheel.
******* well said.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2002SLPSSCAMARO
Ok..so a few things to answer here....there is room for the front mount 60mm if i put a different radiator in..and if i move the battery to the back..then i would fit the 106mm...either way it will be tight since it doesnt belong in there in the first place...and im not tryin to re-invent the wheel...simply just putting better tires on it so it will perform better...and the reason i would like to do this kind of a setup is because i have a manual...would love to do BIG boost..and around 1000hp when it is all said and done...i know this is a big project....but when has a working guy ever finished his project in one weekend...not like this..it will take years..and that doesnt bother me..i have plenty of time
An 88mm by itself will do the job fine. You are getting into something that will create more headache than useful. I didnt even see your cubic inches, but unless you are well over 400 its going to be a laggy pig. If you want to roll race from a 70 punch, its not even rational. A billet 88mm with race cover can put you over 1K, and the with one of the new ET-R type wheels its so much more efficient. And I will go ahead and mention while you compound boost you compound heat. You want to run a A2W intercooler with dry ice on the street? If not, forget it. This topic has been brought up many times on many forums. And it CAN work. But with this platform especially you do NOT need it. Worry more about the T56 you are going to blow up, the 6060 you spend tons on, or the clutch you spend more tons on and hope it doesnt ghost your ***.

Late,

Brandon
Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Launching!

doesnt seem like anyone else caught this but.........he wants to run the compressor discharge pipe from the smaller turbo thru and intercooler and Into the exhaust housing of the t6 turbo. I dont think turbos like cold air blown thru the turbine housings.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yessir
doesnt seem like anyone else caught this but.........he wants to run the compressor discharge pipe from the smaller turbo thru and intercooler and Into the exhaust housing of the t6 turbo. I dont think turbos like cold air blown thru the turbine housings.
Yes I caught that.

OP you are trying to do a one off build that is unfeasable given your skill level and knowledge. One properly sized turbo will be easier and more effective to run. Sounds like you are trying to use what you have on hand to not buy another turbo, but in the end will spend three times as much to never get there or scrap it halfway.

What brands are these turbo's that you have now?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

ok i appreciate all ur comments..but one im not worried about the money skill or ammount of effort needed...yes i had mentioned about the compressor air thru the intercooler and all that...but i was not sure about how the piping would go..which is y i asked...i would really like to do a one off build..something never seen before...wether it is reasonable or not...my car has been stock for 3 years...its time to finally go crazy and make it something out of the oridinary...sooo if any people want to see this done...then i need more advice than criticism..it may not get done for a few years..but one day it will be finished
Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

yessir; Turbos dont care if the air flowing through them is hot or cold. For that matter the fact that the inlet side of the turbine is seeing hot air is obviously just a byproduct of what is available to spin it. Thus makes the components on the hot side of the turbo subject to dealing with a more hostile environment than they would if it was aleast luke hot. Its about volume and velocity only. And in the world of exhaust flow more heat equals more velocity and volume. Ask the rear mount guys about that battle. The way to do the compounding is to "Y" the compressor side and the exhaust side of the turbo into each other after the first turbo and put both into the inlet side of the larger turbo. The "Y" would have to have a very flat sweep to help with direction of flow and less reversion. But because of the dynamic of the way it would work you are still going to have back pressure (boost) on the compressor side of the smaller turbo. If it would be more than what it would see from the engine I dont know. And the fact that the back pressure would be mixed with hot exhaust I dont know that effect either. But I do know thats how you do it. I also know that you would have a very delicate balance of not over spinning the smaller turbo to properly feed the larger. My guess is that the huge step from the listed smaller to larger might over spin the smaller. It may work great, but as said before this is something that takes alot of calculation on the fabricators part. No offense, but I dont think the OP has it. Nor do I for that matter. I have had a few hair brained ideas over the years and am glad I didnt act on them in hind site. OP, if you do want to go forward with something like this you need to enlist people that have the knowledge base to advise you in it. Trial and error with parts that cost what something like this will certainly can break your wallet.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thought I signed on to honda-tech instead of ls1tech. I was disappointed, to say the least, when I confirmed that this was indeed a topic on ls1tech
Old 09-12-2010, 02:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for anyone intrested in coumpound turbo setup take a look at the below link. yes its not a V8 but it will give you a little more insite as to how to set them up.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/engine-...g-again-7.html

Chris

Quick Reply: Weird Setup idea...with questions (turbo)