Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

NA to Single Turbo ?'s and kick in the butt...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NA to Single Turbo ?'s and kick in the butt...

Im leaning more and more to the wonderful world of turbos and am wondering if I can run a single turbo setup on the current motor I have now or if I should just start from scratch with a new motor build. I would also like some advice on a reliable setup that retains A/C (need to keep my A/C since I live in the desert). Im leaning towards a single turbo truck mani kit w/ stainless hotside piping, aluminum cold side and air to air intercooler. I also plan on running meth injection, upgrading current fuel system and tuning with EFI Live (speed density). My goal is for approx 800rwp which shouldnt be too difficult to obtain...so is it manageable with my current motor???

My current NA setup right now is the following:
6.0 liter iron block
4.000" Callies 4340 forged steel crankshaft, balanced to rotating assembly
4.000" Manley 2618 forged alloy pistons
6.125" Manley 4340 forged steel H-beam rods
factory-installed cam bearings
Clevite rod and main bearings
11:1 compression ratio
24 Tooth reluctor wheel
Single Row LS2 Timing Chain Set
Comp big thunder series cam..well over 600 lift
Comp push rods and lifters
Dart cnc heads
steel head gaskets
ARP head studs
42 lb. injectors
LS6 intake manifold
ported LS6 throttle body
LS2 timing set
pulley set by Pulley Brothers
Pacesetter Longtube headers
Pacesetter Y pipe
Mufflex cat back exhaust

Will I run into a lot of issues with detonation in high compression motor? Should I just say f*&^ it and start with an LQ4/LQ9 motor and go from there? Any info, help or kick in the butt will be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old 11-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

different cam, bigger injectors, and drop the compression (thicker head gaskets is the easiest). that should just about do it
Old 11-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

Default turbo

You should be ok to run low boost probably no more then ten lbs. If you dont have a huge cam you wouldnt really need to change that, but they are cheep so it might be worth it. You will need bigger injectors 60's or 80's. You could always get different cc heads to lower your comp asuming yours are in th mid 60's now. My budy had a c6 with a supercharger at 10.7:1 comp with 10lbs it made 717 with a very safe tune. Also i would put methnol on it to for saftey.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it was me, I'd put a thicker head gasket on there to try to drop the compression as much as possible, build the turbo and run it how it is. Keep boost and timing down real conservative. Upgrade the fuel system. Drive it and get used to it. If e85 is available for you, switch and you'll be fine running higher boost or come up with an easy way to drain your gas so you can switch to race gas for high boost. Once you got all your bugs worked out, then decide if you want to rebuild with less compression. I'm not familiar with that cam but if it's not huge, try it and see how it does before putting in somethign else. Atleast it will give you a point of reference.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the replies. I know the high compression is gonna be my main concern/problem so Im gonna start researching for as thick of a headgasket as I can run to drop my compression down a bit like suggested. Like I said before Id like to get around 800ish rwhp...I have a few turbos in mind but havent narrowed it down to one specific turbo yet. Any suggestions? I will probably end up choosing a size that will allow some room to grow. I am definetely going to upgrade my fuel system to handle the boost and power levels safely and running meth injection will also help me out when combating knock. I will start out slow and conservative with my tune...let the fun begin!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Launching!

a few thing and your gonna be ok imho

maybe a thicker gasket and a cam that lowers DCR ask pat g about the cam .....if its NA im sure the cam isnt optimal. also injectors are way to small... and maybe think bout water meth

so if you have to change the cam/parts might as well get something that will work towards your goal. and spend money in quality turbo parts ..like the turbo, intercooler, instead of starting all over

800rwhp shouldnt be a prob with a quality 80mm plus turbo
Old 11-12-2010, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

bringing this back for another question...

What is the thickest head gasket on the market? Id like to drop my compression without tearing apart the entire motor...just some of it
Old 11-12-2010, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

thinking Im going to change my cam too while Im at it...any suggestions? I know there is a ton of options out there but Id like to know what would be suitable for my approx 800rwhp goal.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Launching!

A truck manifold is not going to work in regards to keeping a/c. The flange bends down where the unit is located.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by no1izspeshl
A truck manifold is not going to work in regards to keeping a/c. The flange bends down where the unit is located.

you sure about that? Im pretty sure there are a few guys running 6.0L mani's while retaining the a/c...pretty sure I could even C6 mani's too and still retain the a/c if I wanted.

Quick Reply: NA to Single Turbo ?'s and kick in the butt...