Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

talked to turbonetics about oil restrictors.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default talked to turbonetics about oil restrictors.

this winter i desided to have my turbo checked out.
Well found out it was pretty much shot. i started to wonder if it was starved for oil or someting was wrong with the oil return, something had to cause it to go bad.

so i called up turbonetics and asked them about what type of oil pressure should it be recieving.
i told them it was getting about 65psi under boost, and asked them what they thought about an oil restrictor.
they said that they dont recomend any type of restriction and that 65psi of oil pressure would be fine. I asked how much it could see, and they told me as longs as its under 80psi of oil pressure it wont have any problems.

then i described my oil drain system to him on how the turbo sits just a tad higher then the bottom of the oil pan and the oil drain comes into the bottom of the turbo. He said that was not a good ideaas it didnt allow it to drain right and the turbo would always be sitting in that oil.
he said that it should probably have a scavenging system and the return on the top of the oil pan.

i asked just for kicks if they recomended a good scavenge pump for daily use and he told me of turbo performance 1-410-799-7223, said thats what porsche uses.

Also QMP guys were does your oil drain go back into the pan? at the top/bottom or middle?
Old 02-02-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drain should be the topmost of the oil pan.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

yes it should but the turbotech and i think QMP kit are at the bottom so they drain, but not properly.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Can you put it on the side of the pan toward the front? Or would it not drain?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

may want to take another measurement.. by my memory (and looks like in the photo) that the drain of the oil is actually fairly even with the top of the oil pan, not the bottom.. if it was even or slightly above the bottom of the oil pan then it would be down alongside the k member.. may want to talk to them again.

first pic is my car turbotech, second is my car qmp.

both cars i ran the drain to the driver front corner of the pan and didnt have a problem.

forgot to add. the drain on the centersection of the turbo is basically right at the bottom of that hole opening on the housing.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Funny thing is mine will smoke unless i clock the turbo clockwise about an inch.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

ill have to take some pictures later of my oil drain, once i get the turbo back on.

thanks for the pics Dave
cant really see how the drain goes into the pan? is it tapped at the bottom or side?
Old 02-04-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

mine was in same place as here from the turbotech website (bottom driver front corner)
Old 02-04-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks.

know if you think about it if the top of the hose were the drain for the turbo is lower then the oil level in the pan, the oil will reside in the hose, which i dont think will drain very welll.

i keep on thinking of going to a scavenge system.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

thats absolutely right.. but will not happen unless you over fill with oil (or stop the car abruptly and slosh oil forward)

i thought about mounting it on the side of the pan myself, but since i couldnt find anyone else that had tried it.. i went back to the turbotech position and it worked fine.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

I believe going in the side of the pan in the front would work fine. It would promote draining, which is good. I don't think they do it on the install because the motor it in the car, and drilling and taping that would be a complete PITA.

Quick Reply: talked to turbonetics about oil restrictors.