Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

tuning for different boost levels.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning for different boost levels.

this might be a super noob question but you dont know unless you ask right.

i plan to run 10-12 psi on pump and 17-20 on race gas..

i will have the car dyno tuned at a shop.. for both.

would i have to have my own tuning software with the 2 different files on it it to ajust
or can the timing maps be set were its tuned for 10-12 and pump but once it goes over that say 15 psi and up there is more timing and for the higher octane??

or should i just keep it tuned for pump all the way to 20 psi and just be able to go from 10 to 20 when ever with out changing fuel...

i just dont want to be leaving alot on the table at high boost at the track.

sound like i should get the 2 tunes and my own software and flash the tunes when i change fuel..?

please discuss ..

thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yelo04goat
this might be a super noob question but you dont know unless you ask right.

i plan to run 10-12 psi on pump and 17-20 on race gas..

i will have the car dyno tuned at a shop.. for both.

would i have to have my own tuning software with the 2 different files on it it to ajust
or can the timing maps be set were its tuned for 10-12 and pump but once it goes over that say 15 psi and up there is more timing and for the higher octane??

or should i just keep it tuned for pump all the way to 20 psi and just be able to go from 10 to 20 when ever with out changing fuel...

i just dont want to be leaving alot on the table at high boost at the track.

sound like i should get the 2 tunes and my own software and flash the tunes when i change fuel..?

please discuss ..

thanks in advance.
You don't need 2 tunes unless you want to be able to run both boost levels with the SAME fuel if the car is properly tuned.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

so what has to be done for low boost pump gas/ high boost high octane??

just lookin for a basic knowladge as i am NOT goin to be messing with the tune..

just need to know if there is anything i need and stuff like that..

just looking for info as i am bored out here on the ocean..

thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You should be able save two different files...low and high boost. Just upload the file you want to the computer(car). Get the car where you want on low boost/timing and save that file. Then do the same for high boost then save the file. Far as fuel goes, that plus timing should be altered from low-high boost. For low boost setting, run more timing and pump gas. For your high boost tune, have a file for high boost and low timing with race fuel. IMHO though, I would just have one tune for high boost. This way the car is always ready to go

You will need tuning software such as; HP tuners or EFI live etc.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

thats what i was was thinking...

tuning for high boost on pump gas would be the easiest.. then just turn down the boost ... that way all i got to do turn it up and let her eat...

just want to know my options.

thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a car with a boost controller I will tune speed density, so on the fueling side it will go to whatever is commanded regardless of boost level.

On the timing, I'll tune it to a safe level on pump fuel and just leave it there. (so lets say if it's at 17deg, 10psi, 93 octane I'll leave it at 17deg timing dump the race fuel in and turn it to 20psi).

I don't see any advantage to having two files unless you are really trying to get aggressive with timing on race fuel.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by INTMD8
For a car with a boost controller I will tune speed density, so on the fueling side it will go to whatever is commanded regardless of boost level.

On the timing, I'll tune it to a safe level on pump fuel and just leave it there. (so lets say if it's at 17deg, 10psi, 93 octane I'll leave it at 17deg timing dump the race fuel in and turn it to 20psi).

I don't see any advantage to having two files unless you are really trying to get aggressive with timing on race fuel.
ok that makes sense... wish i could find some damed 93 its all 91 in cali...

i guess that works too though..

so SD for fuel and set the timing for the boost i will run on pump gas.. then just be able to turn it up at will when i got the good stuff..

what kind of power difference could you normally see doin this?
Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been thinking about doing the same exact thing. And this helps me out a lot. I was planning on just keeping my car on a low boost tune like you said 10-12 psi on pump gas till i work out any bugs, and just get used to the new setup. One question though; If i want to just get a street tune at first, 10-12 psi and not turn it up until later on down the road do i have to have a boost controller? Or could I just rely on the wastegate to do its job? Also will be speed density.

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:59 AM
11 Second Club

i would think you could run off the WG but it might not be right at the boost you are looking for... boost controller will allow you to fine tune it better
Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is what you need.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...s-one-pcm.html

Boost tuning:
Run a 'street' or pump-gas tune in one calibration, flip your switch and get a more aggressive AFR and spark map for use with race fuel. Turbo cars can use the switch to not only switch tunes, but to also switch MAP sensors. Run a safe 2bar tune with optimal VE resolution on pump gas; flip the switch and change over to a 3bar MAP sensor and tune for higher boost at the track. Again, the track (or "all-out") tune could contain a more aggressive timing, shifting, and AFR schedule.

Quick Reply: tuning for different boost levels.