Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Welding V Bands To Truck Manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS376-65-CHEVELLE
Are the manifolds you guys are using the std 5.3 liter truck manifolds? or are they something different? Just trying to figure out the different options. Do the exit ports measure 2.25? Thanks
They are 2.5" All the truck ones are the same. 4.8, 5.3, 6.0. Also the ones with the EGR provision are no different then the ones without, just a port on there you can block off with a peice of steel with 2 holes in it.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

my buddy just TIG'ed mine today, inside and out. Came out great!!..

Name:  4c9d975c.jpg
Views: 9734
Size:  76.4 KB
Name:  4902a372.jpg
Views: 6330
Size:  77.3 KB
Name:  4b2dddf4.jpg
Views: 6298
Size:  63.8 KB
Name:  806b13c1.jpg
Views: 5364
Size:  107.6 KB
Name:  ee215c2d.jpg
Views: 5449
Size:  115.4 KB
Name:  4cde8d8b.jpg
Views: 5474
Size:  103.9 KB
Name:  44496c3b.jpg
Views: 5428
Size:  85.7 KB
Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet, what alternator bracket is that?
Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 AM
On The Tree

it looks like a stock alternator bracket just painted or powder coated.

thanks for the pics, this is the setup i am wanting to go with
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Just burned mine in couple nights ago. Mig 175 unit, SS wire 100% argon, no preheat, not the best looking welds but good penetration and no cracking. The welds will get prepped before coating. I wish I could have tig'd it but gotta make do with what i had.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Unit, not keeping AC?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Veteran

No, no heat either...... "race car"
Old 03-09-2011, 01:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
No, no heat either...... "race car"
What did your guy charge you for that Taubar? PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Veteran

It's a good buddy of mine so he did it for nothing. However if u want um Mig'ed I can do that myself.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is anyone using gaskets of any kind in between the v-band flanges? Like soft copper or aluminum? Does anyone have any probs getting them to seal perfect? I was thinking laser cutting some thin washer looking type gaskets out of aluminum to stick between them. Or I wonder if a little silicone on them work??
Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never used gaskets unless the flange is cut for one (we also don't use them on aircraft and have no leaks).
Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
Is anyone using gaskets of any kind in between the v-band flanges? Like soft copper or aluminum? Does anyone have any probs getting them to seal perfect? I was thinking laser cutting some thin washer looking type gaskets out of aluminum to stick between them. Or I wonder if a little silicone on them work??
For some piece of mind, i ran a bead of Copper RTV around the flange. But ive heard of many people not using anything.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

I just finished my first manifold and it went great. I put it in the oven at 500 degrees for 20 min, tacked on the flange, hit it with the torch for a min or so to get it nice and hot and welded it inside and out with my flux core Lincoln 110 mig box, no gas or tig or anything. Hit it a few times with a hammer and it held just fine. It is cooling in the oven as i write this. On to the other side now! Guys if you are wondering about this, just do it! I am not a pro welder by any means, take your time and it will go fine.
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (05-30-2023)
Old 03-17-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

From my build thread...

Originally Posted by frojoe
After running a couple test beds on the flange hole tabs I cut off, it seemed like the cast "iron" was pretty accepting of being welded cold, hopefully, so I got it all set up and ready for a couple test tacks without preheat (just decided to try out of curiosity)...

Heat was pretty good, was putting in about 75 amps without burning thru the vband flange, took my time working the area with the arc at 1/2 pedal before going all in and making a puddle for the filler. It doesn't look it in this picture but the manifold material was definitely molten as I was adding filler so there was for sure enough heat going into the cast iron...

All of a sudden as I was taking a break I started hearing a ticking sound, and sure enough I inspect a tack weld on the opposite side of the flange to the two shown above...

Guess I do need pre & post heat?

The vband flange was HOT but the manifold not so much, only in the area immediately around the tack... is it possible that the cast iron was soaking up all of the heat from that tack and causing it to cool too quickly = brittle tack?

I'm also thinking maybe the thermal expansion rates of the cast iron & steel are different enough to cause stress in the vband flange and break that tack? Although I would've thought that they'd both have similar cooling rates...

I tried tacking again but this time with pre & post heating with a butane torch for a couple minutes pre & post tack, it took longer to happen but sure enough the ticking sound started and I got a tack to crack.

Maybe shitty filler rod too? I don't even know the alloy of the rod, it was just generic "mild steel" filler that I picked up in a hurry at the local tool shed.
Originally Posted by frojoe
Did some baking this morning...

Recipe was:

1) Put manifolds in oven and from cold heat up to 450*F, hold for an hour
2) Took one manifold out, welded half the vband, put back in oven, took other manifold out, did half bead too. Went back to first one, finished, put back in oven, finished second one, put back in oven.
3) Let both fully welded manifolds sit in oven for ~15minutes
4) Turned heat down to about 300, let sit for ~15min
5) Turned heat down to about 150 (lowest oven would go), let sit for ~15min
6) Turned oven off, let everything inside cool down until I could touch, took about an hour.

Result:

Used regular ER70S mild steel filler rod, didn't heat with a torch or anything during the breaks between beads, just tried to do as quick as possible... bead quality shows that Also it was awkward as hell trying to change angles for different parts while not resting either hand on the manifold:

Not once did I hear any pinging sounds, however I was putting in about 100 amps had post flow set to 10 seconds which I think cooled the beads down a bit too much because the end points of two beads had small cracks, but everything else looked fine. Will have to carefully pre & post torch those 2 areas and quickly puddle them to fill the cracks.

-Joe
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (05-30-2023)
Old 03-17-2011, 02:19 PM
9 Second Club

WOW!! That looks NICE!! Looks like keeping a/c with them being cut back that far would be easy enough too right?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

That was a long, well detailed post! This thread should be made a STICKY!
Old 03-18-2011, 07:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Are there any advantages to using stainless v-bands vs mild steel?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chevy406
that is a good question. im just using mild OBX flange tig welded with mild steel filler. cant do it till i get the engine stabbed. ceramic coating will prevent any rust.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy406
I was told that stainless has closer expansion properties to cast, so over time stainless should be less prone to cracking.

I recently did a set of the forward facing Monte Carlo SS manifolds. I didn't want to have anything break down the road so I followed all of the advice I could find online and at the local welding store. It seems that people are getting away with welding these manifolds cold, but it's not ideal. It really wasn't that big of a deal to heat them up in a BBQ. I would let it get to 550-600 degrees and weld a few small sections. Then close the lid and let it warm up again. Repeat the process until the weld is complete. Cool-down is also key. I left the lid closed and turned the burners down to low for a half hour, then turned one burner off after another half hour, and finally turned both burners off and left the lid closed. After 4 or 5 hours they were still somewhat toasty, but had cooled enough to take out of the BBQ.

I used a tig and 309 wire. I bought nickel rod too, but the guys at the welding store said only to use that as a last resort as the 309 stainless rod is much stronger.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tiznodd
I was told that stainless has closer expansion properties to cast, so over time stainless should be less prone to cracking.

I recently did a set of the forward facing Monte Carlo SS manifolds. I didn't want to have anything break down the road so I followed all of the advice I could find online and at the local welding store. It seems that people are getting away with welding these manifolds cold, but it's not ideal. It really wasn't that big of a deal to heat them up in a BBQ. I would let it get to 550-600 degrees and weld a few small sections. Then close the lid and let it warm up again. Repeat the process until the weld is complete. Cool-down is also key. I left the lid closed and turned the burners down to low for a half hour, then turned one burner off after another half hour, and finally turned both burners off and left the lid closed. After 4 or 5 hours they were still somewhat toasty, but had cooled enough to take out of the BBQ.

I used a tig and 309 wire. I bought nickel rod too, but the guys at the welding store said only to use that as a last resort as the 309 stainless rod is much stronger.
I still love this thread becuase of all the different ways to weld cast can be seen and just about all of them can work. Pre heat, post heat, TIG, MIG, and ETC. The main thing to remember is that as long as there is some steel content in the manifolds then the welds will hold up just fine...

Quick Reply: Welding V Bands To Truck Manifolds?