Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Welding V Bands To Truck Manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tiznodd
I used a tig and 309 wire. I bought nickel rod too, but the guys at the welding store said only to use that as a last resort as the 309 stainless rod is much stronger.
309 was designed as a filler to weld together dissimilar steels like stainless to carbon.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i did it, ended up using 309 rod and mild flange. used my oven for pre and post heat. V notched the manifold and flange. did a root pass then an over pass. welded like butter! the manifolds act like cast steel, i could not find any one with the equipment to test it's properties, its not like a manifold from 20 years ago. also i cant find any info on this type of manifold/flange set-up cracking or failing. bottom line, tig, mig, pre heat or not, just do it and post your results as to how it is holding up.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

the first go i didnt pre heat or post heat, and actually just cut a bit out of the manifold and welded the stock flange back on so it would clear the low mount alt. welded it on 19v or so (the hottest my welder would weld) and dunked it in fine sand right after. i could immediately hear it cracking. sure enough i had it media blasted and there was fine cracks everywhere...

went back and did it all over, this time with mild steel v bands, pre heated and post heated, worked like a CHAMP. i was very very particular about it. i pre heated it to 500* and welded it up. for post heat i kept both the flange and the manifold within 25* of each other. i checked temps every 30 seconds or so,warmed the areas that needed to be warmed, then turn the torch off. every time i lit the torch i made the flame smaller. its pretty simple, just try to keep em within 25-50* of eachother til it gets to around 160 or so...

if you have access to a torch or oven i highly recommend it....
Old 09-04-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tiznodd
I was told that stainless has closer expansion properties to cast, so over time stainless should be less prone to cracking.
Cast iron and mild steel should have very close expansion rates, most grades of stainless will have roughly 50% greater expansion rates, so mild steel should last longer.

I'm not sure what this stuff is made of or about the distinctions that people have made (cast iron and steel are just iron with other materials alloyed with them, the statement "more steel in it" doesn't make any sense when talking about cast iron, maybe something like "closer to cast steel," would be more accurate), but manifolds welding like this is not unusual. I welded some steel flanges, a section of steel pipe and even a steel plate to some cut up/modified early 70's Cadillac manifolds roughly 8years ago (that have been on a daily driver since then with no problems) and they welded just like what was described here, though I was pretty careful with controlling their cooling rates to prevent cracking (buried them in kitty litter wrapped in a pair of welding gloves).

I do wonder why a few people list problems with cracking even if they were relatively careful where most have no problems even if they just grab a MIG and weld it with no special prep.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

The metal of these manifolds are of great quality compared to most cast manifolds. They are definitely cast steel with little to no porosity. They tig'd well to the v-bands with no contamination.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Mad max, what do you mean by V-notch the manifold and flange?
Old 09-21-2011, 10:54 PM
MASS seller approved

He is saying to make a bevel on each so you have something to fill instead of a smooth butt joint that would result in a big hump of filler metal.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:03 AM
9 Second Club

STICKY!!! Love this thread
Old 12-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Found an article in the Canadian Welding Association Journal pointing out that a certain version of ductile iron has become popular for exhaust manifolds because it pours well and highly weldable. It contains higher levels of silicon and molybdenum than plain old gray iron. The article goes into detail about spheroidal graphite inclusions, ferritic matrices and a bunch of other techie stuff. Also shows a picture of an silicon/molybdenum exhaust manifold from a 2004 Cadillac XLR that has a stainless steel cat welded directly to it at the factory.

Main learning for me is that all cast iron is not the same and what we're working with today are not our fathers' exhaust manifolds.

Experimented over the weekend cutting off the EGR boss from a truck manifold. Made a mild steel patch, pre-heated to 400 degrees and welded half with plain old mig wire and the other half with a spray torch with a powder that is high in nickel. Stuck in back in the oven and did a gradual cool down. No cracks and looks good. Will post pics later.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Thumbs up Flange purchase..

Just got a pair of 2.5" flanges off the Bag, from E-Motors, in Indy.

NICE pieces! Weld area of the flange is 3/16" thick...Should weld well.
Weld pieces are 409 and the clamp is 304.
$38.00 including the ride... Ordered the 12th... arrived via Fed-X at noon today.

Now, the real fun begins!

In the "FWIW" dept:
I'm also working on a set of Moosetang tubular headers.
I bought 3/8" x1 5/8" flanges on the Bag.. $40pr/laser cut, NICE!
http://stores.ebay.com/LASER-ART-WORLD?_rdc=1

Last edited by Old Geezer; 12-16-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We weld the flanges on the truck manifolds with our regular 140 mig. We just clean them up good, heat the manifold with a torch. Weld while keeping most of the heat on the manifold and pulling the weld to the flange. After done about 5 minutes later we heat them with a torch again and let them air cool. No cracks.

Big thing is to support the turbo weight from the engine or frame to take stress off the pipes/flanges.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:59 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
We weld the flanges on the truck manifolds with our regular 140 mig. We just clean them up good, heat the manifold with a torch. Weld while keeping most of the heat on the manifold and pulling the weld to the flange. After done about 5 minutes later we heat them with a torch again and let them air cool. No cracks.

Big thing is to support the turbo weight from the engine or frame to take stress off the pipes/flanges.
Don did you use mild or stainless?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heres mine. triple pass. single root. then a double weave top pass. **** welds easy.

[IMG][/IMG]
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (05-30-2023)
Old 12-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Launching!

I welded flanges on Caddy STS manifolds cold, tig, 309 rod. Welded just like steel. No cracks or problems. Been on the car all summer with a 6766 hanging right off the end of one of them. The manifolds had cats welded to them like the XLR units do.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:26 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

I think i am convinced. Gonna have to give this a shot. Just looks very doable. Will a Lincoln Mig-Pak 15 with .030 mild steel wire and argon gas be good enough?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone welded on the new hooker swept manifolds yet? They are a lot tighter to the motor witch is ideal for my app. But $300 is wasted if it doesn't weld well.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

5.3/6.0 manifolds, what do I need to buy 2.5 v bands or 2.25 v bands?
my build is a pt88 370
great thread
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
5.3/6.0 manifolds, what do I need to buy 2.5 v bands or 2.25 v bands?
my build is a pt88 370
great thread
The 2.5 fits the manifold better and you have a pretty stout setup so you might as well use 2.5.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want to do the same thing with my truck manifolds on my twin turbo build. I'm going to preheat them in the oven for 1hr after they've been cleaned up to make sure I get a clean weld. My question is can my welder and wire handle the task. I'm running a MIG welder on 110V w/ 75% argon/25% carbon. Wire is 0.23 non-shielding wire.

Let me know what you guys think...
Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny
I want to do the same thing with my truck manifolds on my twin turbo build. I'm going to preheat them in the oven for 1hr after they've been cleaned up to make sure I get a clean weld. My question is can my welder and wire handle the task. I'm running a MIG welder on 110V w/ 75% argon/25% carbon. Wire is 0.23 non-shielding wire.

Let me know what you guys think...
You will be fine. I just welded two sets, same setup but .030 wire. Preheated in oven for 30 minutes, welded, put back in the oven for 30 minutes at 250, then turned the oven off and took them out the next day.

I also put the other end of the v band on it after welding so it doesnt warp. Id like to leave it on while welding but the bulky clamp gets in the way.

Quick Reply: Welding V Bands To Truck Manifolds?