Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Simple alt. To dual breathers? (blowing oil like crazy)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple alt. To dual breathers? (blowing oil like crazy)

Any ideas? Not really knowledgeable in this area but I'm pretty sure oil being blown on to the valve covers and shi* is not good lol
Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

delete youro PCV system all together, and vent both valve covers to a catch can.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Launching!

you need to do a compression test to find out if you have hurt a piston or ring
Old 11-21-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Engines
you need to do a compression test to find out if you have hurt a piston or ring
x2

Originally Posted by Tiago
delete youro PCV system all together, and vent both valve covers to a catch can.
ill see that and raise you one.

vent the valve covers to a sealed catch can, then run a line from the catch can to the vaccum side of your "whistle" that way your pulling vaccum on the crank case at all times regardless of manifold pressure.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm thinking replace the pistons that have broken ringlands and empty the metal out of the oil pan. I'm going with this same strategy to control my blowby issues. I'm betting your oil smells like gasoline?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gametech
I'm thinking replace the pistons that have broken ringlands and empty the metal out of the oil pan. I'm going with this same strategy to control my blowby issues. I'm betting your oil smells like gasoline?
bud, if theres metal in the oil pan then its been cycled under pressure through all the bearings with the motor running. no matter what the conditions, put it back together and run it and its all borrowed time. some will say filters and screens and blah blah blah, metal in the pan is bad.

plus, the broken ringland(s) could have destroyed the cylinder bore(s), so be prepared to find unrepairable damage.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gametech
It sure does, I figured it was time to change the oil, it was clean last time I changed it. Youre saying if I pull the pan there's a possibility that there's metal in the pan? Lately it feels like it's been missing while sitting at a red-light, I look at my wideband and it's super lean 16-17 then it goes back to stoich 14-15. I about to give up on this damn car. I can't afford this while being in college lol
Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not too long ago I opened my system up completely. Ran a mini-breather on the back of the driver side head, capped the passengers side hose hookup and tb, have a metco style breather on the oil fill spot, and put a mini-breather on the ls6 valley cover port. After doing this, it was smelling horrible. Not really any mist, just a slight smoke that wreaked of oil out of the metco breather. I put a hose back on the ls6 valley cover into a PCV valve, and looped it back into the intake manifold. Now no more stink due to the vacuum of the intake, and the crankcase still has room to breathe out of all the other breathers. Not sure if this would help you, but its worth a try.

Quick Reply: Simple alt. To dual breathers? (blowing oil like crazy)