Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

408 turbo camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 408 turbo camshaft

Looking for suggestions for a camshaft for my 408 build. I have -15cc wiseco pistons, stock 317 casting heads with Patriot Extreme .660 lift capable springs. I believe static compression should be in the area of 9.5:1. The engine is going into my 2007 truck backed up by the 80e that's currently in it. I have a set of Patriot Performance heads available with 64cc chambers if maybe I should go for more static compression. Currently I am running 42 lb/hr @3bar Lucas/Delphi injectors but will move up to larger injectors if needed. I can also boost the pressure up on the pump/regulator to get more flow should that be needed. I like wild cams and don't mind running one even though this is my daily driver, 35 miles each way to and from work with city driving averaging 50 mph. The trans has a very loose 3500 PI stall so low end torque is no issue. Gearing is 3.23:1 ring and pinion. Currently I am running an STS style setup with a 6776 ballbearing turbo.

please, dazzle me with some great ideas since I am a clean slate and willing to try whatever it takes to make this engine lay out some big reliable numbers.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Heartbeat
Looking for suggestions for a camshaft for my 408 build. I have -15cc wiseco pistons, stock 317 casting heads with Patriot Extreme .660 lift capable springs. I believe static compression should be in the area of 9.5:1. The engine is going into my 2007 truck backed up by the 80e that's currently in it. I have a set of Patriot Performance heads available with 64cc chambers if maybe I should go for more static compression. Currently I am running 42 lb/hr @3bar Lucas/Delphi injectors but will move up to larger injectors if needed. I can also boost the pressure up on the pump/regulator to get more flow should that be needed. I like wild cams and don't mind running one even though this is my daily driver, 35 miles each way to and from work with city driving averaging 50 mph. The trans has a very loose 3500 PI stall so low end torque is no issue. Gearing is 3.23:1 ring and pinion. Currently I am running an STS style setup with a 6776 ballbearing turbo.

please, dazzle me with some great ideas since I am a clean slate and willing to try whatever it takes to make this engine lay out some big reliable numbers.
That turbo is going to be the choke point on this new setup. May as well just run something very mild. Like a stock 03 LS6 cam. It'll be EXTREMELY responsive, have minimal spool time, and you'll be out of turbo before you are out of cam.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Honestly, turbo isn't an issue. I will put whatever turbo is necessary to make this thing go hard and strong, even if I have to step up to a large frame turbo. An 88mm Precision seems more of a stepping stone that a goal. Keep the info coming.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, if you are ready to step up, you have to upgrade a bunch of ****. For starters, you'll need a minimum of an 80# injector. Then you'll want atleast 1000 hp capable fuel pump. Might as well upgrade the lines. Since you have a truck, the Edelbrok ProFlo XT is a no brainer intake for FI. So if you do all that and run an 88mm+ turbo, I'd still run a smallish cam in a heavy truck. Like high 230's duration with .620 ish lift. Split will depend on turbo location, hot side system size and head flow numbers.

Oh yeah, and you'll need a big boy torque converter. Think premium like FTI, Chance, ATI, Circle D, etc.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

You don't think my 10.5" Vigilante 3 disk 3500 stall converter will work?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Listen to the guy, he's done this before!

I never had much luck with vigilante, even in a mild car. A Chance or Circle-D would be sick but if not, I have always had good results from the yanks.

That turbo is definitely going to hold the combo back.

Do you have a set ET/MPH goal in mind? RWHP?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

98z28cobrakiller is right on the money. Areomotive a1000 or twin walbro intanks larger lines 76 or 88 turbo you I believe you can get both with a T4 flange (thats what your sts has). 80 #+ injectors. Also agree with the eldlebrock pro flo lsxt manifold. I did that with a nick williams throttle body ,dont think it will matter much when stuffing air in.

Im running a sts kit with a tc76, twin walbros intank (second pump on a hobbs switch) 10an feed 8an return with a bypass regulator. 4l80e in a 2004 AWD silverado ss.
good luck.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd like to see about 800 rwhp. My little 408 with a light nitrous setup hit 600 dyno rwhp without breaking a sweat and ran 11.34 at 117 mph in my old 93 extended cab short bed truck. Circle D is probably going to get to rebuild the Vig since its a nice billet converter. Casey23 had one built by Circle D for his rear mount setup and it worked out well in his 80e, so I'll probably follow his path on the converter. He was also running a transbrake, may do one later but I'll see how this one holds up to the power. The converter is loose as a goose, takes about 3k to drive in normal street mode behind my stock 4.8L engine that's limping me around until the 408 comes back together. I have a bosch pump in reserves from my standalone nitrous setup, trying to decide if I want to do dual bosch pumps or one bigger better pump. My head is full of ideas but a little guidance and some proven build documentation would be cool to read up on.

Quick Reply: 408 turbo camshaft