Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Using an aluminum cell for methanol?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using an aluminum cell for methanol?

Ive done some research and ive spoke to some people who race midgets on methanol and have gotten mixxed reviews on the topic. YES, i know methanol eats aluminum, but thats most prominent at a pure level. On some forums people that do 50/50 mixxes (meth/water) have used alum cells for their methanol with no issues or signs of corrosion. If you're storing the car for a while, drain the cell, plain and simple. One other post i found while searching, a guy purposely poured some 96% pure methanol in an alum container of some sort and let it sit for a few weeks i think he said with no cap on the container (giving an oxygen rich environment) and he said he saw zero signs of corrosion. With my engine bay lacking larger areas of space, its best for me to build an aluminum cell for the methanol kit.

Soo all im asking from you guys is.. How many of you use aluminum cells for your meth kits? Do you dilute the meth with water or use it pure? Have you seen signs of corrosion in any scenario?
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM
8 Second Club

i thought plastic and stainless were your 2 options. if im not mistaken stainless will not corrode. someone correct me if i am wrong. i am getting ready to install an AIS kit and i am putting the tank under the hood instead of the trunk so i decided stainless since i plan to run 100% meth.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dudeman
i thought plastic and stainless were your 2 options. if im not mistaken stainless will not corrode. someone correct me if i am wrong. i am getting ready to install an AIS kit and i am putting the tank under the hood instead of the trunk so i decided stainless since i plan to run 100% meth.
Where did you find stainless ones?
Old 01-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Stainless is your best option if you need to build one. It will not corrode.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 PM
9 Second Club

Ideal would be stainless. If you go with aluminum get it hard anodized. That will protect it from any corrosion. I've got my aluminum gas tank anodized and I've been running E85/E98 for a couple years with zero issues and I never drain my tank.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Ethanol is much easier on aluminum than methanol.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hi Volume
Where did you find stainless ones?
i am having a local shop build me a stainless tank for meth.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:27 AM
8 Second Club

its a reputable shop. you need one?
Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Resident

Fore Precision Works make billet fuel hat for numerous differenet applications. They are made from billet aluminum. Justin Fore has done extensive testing on E85 and even E98 and their effects on aliminum. They do offer an E85 coating, I have seen / used them and I think it's a hard anodized coating...

Nonetheless, Justin Fore has left a aluminum hat completly submergeds (non coated) for over a year. Last time I spoke with him, there were NO issues with the aluminum, copper wire, etc etc.

I have seen numerous cars running the standard fuel hat and E85 for over a year now. We pulled a tank of one to check everything and it looked brand new after a full 365 days.

This is a corvette fuel hat for reference...
Old 01-14-2011, 08:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E85 is mild compared to methanol. Methanol is corrosive & will leave a chalky corrosion on aluminum. Typically letting a methanol fuel system dry out is not good either. Many methanol cars flush with gasoline & leave gas in the system until they run it again. Used to see this a lot in circle track cars. Guys would drain the tank, throw some gas in it & start the car letting it flush the lines with gas, shutting it off with gas in the tank/lines.

Quick Reply: Using an aluminum cell for methanol?