Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PCV Idea w/o breather

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV Idea w/o breather

I currently have an Elite Engineering Catch can and a Breather on the oil cap, but the breather will on occasion leak all over the place.

What I'd Like to do is run the PCV AND a line from the oil cap to the input of the catch can, then from the catch can to the intake UPSTREAM of the blower for constant vacuum even under boost.

Assuming the catch can does it's job, i should see no or very little oil getting back into the intake and no more leaks.

Does it sound like this would work?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by radioflyer86
I currently have an Elite Engineering Catch can and a Breather on the oil cap, but the breather will on occasion leak all over the place.

What I'd Like to do is run the PCV AND a line from the oil cap to the input of the catch can, then from the catch can to the intake UPSTREAM of the blower for constant vacuum even under boost.
Assuming the catch can does it's job, i should see no or very little oil getting back into the intake and no more leaks.

Does it sound like this would work?

Keep in mind that when under boost, your tube from blower to intake (UPSTREAM) would be in a positive pressure not negative, therefore... no vacuum.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
Keep in mind that when under boost, your tube from blower to intake (UPSTREAM) would be in a positive pressure not negative, therefore... no vacuum.
Upstream would be between the blower and the Air filter (the vac area)

I"m going to try it out and see how it works....I'll put it in the ducting between the MAF sensor and the blower so as not to damage the MAF sensor if a little oil vapor gets by.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take the breather off the cap and hook-up a Moroso can with breather. Leave the PCV system hooked up with a catch can (two separate systems).
Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Upstream would be between the blower and the Air filter (the vac area)

I"m going to try it out and see how it works....I'll put it in the ducting between the MAF sensor and the blower so as not to damage the MAF sensor if a little oil vapor gets by.
My bad. I obviously misunderstood you. But, I don't think it would create enough vacuum for what you need. I tried that on my twinturbo application and did'nt quite work the way I was hoping, I just ended up putting a breather on my catch can. But it might be different on a blower application.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok what is wrong with the simple way. Just run 2 open breathers on each valve cover. No catch cam,pcv. Just vented to atmosphere. I've been running that way for years and no issues
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
My bad. I obviously misunderstood you. But, I don't think it would create enough vacuum for what you need. I tried that on my twinturbo application and did'nt quite work the way I was hoping, I just ended up putting a breather on my catch can. But it might be different on a blower application.
it works fantastic!! The centri-style blower essentially acts like a vacuum turbine. No more oil pouring out and got a 3-5 MPG improvement below 80mph!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it works fantastic!! The centri-style blower essentially acts like a vacuum turbine. No more oil pouring out and got a 3-5 MPG improvement below 80mph!!!
How many inches of vacuum are you getting under boost and where is the tap point prior to the blower?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by res!cue
How many inches of vacuum are you getting under boost and where is the tap point prior to the blower?
Not sure and about 10" in front of the blower in the air bridge. I've recently switched over to a RX dual-valve catch can setup and SI-trim blower. Between 50-60mph at cruise I see 29-31mpg.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Not sure and about 10" in front of the blower in the air bridge. I've recently switched over to a RX dual-valve catch can setup and SI-trim blower. Between 50-60mph at cruise I see 29-31mpg.
I ordered that same catch can yesterday.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i prefer the moroso evac, no fumes in the intake and plenty of vacuum at 20psi of boost. 40 bucks and your done.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gennex
i prefer the moroso evac, no fumes in the intake and plenty of vacuum at 20psi of boost. 40 bucks and your done.
THIS! thats what i did to mine, i should put a guage on it, id be interested to see what kind of vacuum it pulls.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

I remember seeing someone wrote up an article about the evac system and it pulls a little vacuum(~2in/vac) but not huge amounts. Not that it matters, as long as its not positive pressure it wont hurt anything.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
I remember seeing someone wrote up an article about the evac system and it pulls a little vacuum(~2in/vac) but not huge amounts. Not that it matters, as long as its not positive pressure it wont hurt anything.
by teeing it into my manifold line, i basically gauranteed myself to have vacuum at ALL times. with a checkvalve at the manifold and one on the nipple at the exhaust, it pulls vaccum on the block at low throttle situations then when it goes into boost, ive got vacuum from the evac system pulling on the valley and the valve covers.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

Im sure it does pull vacuum, im not discounting that fact, but Im just saying people should not expect it to replace a vac pump.

Besides, Im doing the evac this year too :p
Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Im sure it does pull vacuum, im not discounting that fact, but Im just saying people should not expect it to replace a vac pump.

Besides, Im doing the evac this year too :p
I hear ya bro, lol. I wasnt saying that either, infact, at this point, ive only boosted up to 5psi and havent had any issues, who knows what will happen after i tune into the 10-12 range. I can tell you this, my rubber plus is still in the bottom of the block that truck oil dipstick goes into, LMAO!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Lol! Well Im glad that youre not shooting oil out of the dipstick tube!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! Well Im glad that youre not shooting oil out of the dipstick tube!
Make no mistake, I WAS, LMAO!!! i researched so much, and the one thing i over looked was that damn hole in the block, Didnt even know it was their, idle fine, drive it around the block, come back and oil everywhere, WTF! lol.

SO it dawns on me after about 3 trips around the block, "did i remember seeing something about a hole in this motor?"

DOH! OH well, i grabbed coolant plug that barely fit into the whole, and jammed a barbed nipple down into it, its in their tight. If it comes out, i guess ill get the freeze plug that supposedly fits.

I am looking for a truck dipstick that i can shove in their and cap off.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Same **** happened to me last year. I remember seeing a company that made a plug for the hole too.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Same **** happened to me last year. I remember seeing a company that made a plug for the hole too.
id like to find it, lol

Quick Reply: PCV Idea w/o breather