Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boosted GMPP LSX 454 Cylinder Cracks Like An Egg Shell

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
what am i trying to look at? What exactely is "core shift"?

+1
Old 02-01-2011, 08:40 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW.

I was at PRI 2010 and while at the GM Performance parts booth I noticed they had a cut away LSX block on display.

Take a close look and form your own opinion. Keep in mind this is the block GMPP chose to display to the public.

In the picture, cylinders 2 & 4 are untouched as they are from the factory.

Cylinders 6 & 8 are bored to 4.125 according to the GMPP rep. Look at how little material is left at the 10 o'clock position of #6. In my opinion, there is obvious core shift in all cylinders and bolt holes.

There was a rep from GMPP there. He was supposedly the guy in charge of the LSX platform and said that there was nothing abnormal with the block. End of story as far as he was concerned.

Last edited by joe11204; 02-02-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Corrected cylinder number configuration. It was past my bed time LOL
Old 02-01-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hank Peabody
I guess the core shift isnt GMs fault, I wasnt aware a bad tune could cause that.
Are you the guy that tuned it?

Core shift didn't turn that engine into a pile of scrap metal. Detonation is the one and only root cause of failure. Enlighten us how detonation was GMs fault please.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
Are you the guy that tuned it?

Core shift didn't turn that engine into a pile of scrap metal. Detonation is the one and only root cause of failure. Enlighten us how detonation was GMs fault please.
Are you the guy that poured the block at the foundry?

If you'd be happy with a block with that much core shift more power to you. I recognize most of the problem is with the owner/tuner, but I dont see the world as black and white as you and think it is probable the core shift played a role in this problem.

Where did I say the detonation was GMs fault? You are assuming detonation is what blew that block up, where was that proven any more than core shift weakened the walls?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 277 Likes on 105 Posts

That is the pass side of the block, even cylinders.

That #6 hole is pretty darn bad at 4.125" in that one area, I'd say about .125" thick being generous, so take another .060" (.030" a side) out for 4.185" and your at .095" wall thickness at that one point, the weak point. A standard repair sleeve for a stock block (early SBC) is only this thick, and certainly is not recommended for a performance build. I wouldn't use any of these core shift affected blocks in a serious boosted application. Just my opinion, a decent NA HP deal would probably be fine.

This doesn't align with the way these things get marketed by GM, but then again the marketing and engineering folks don't always communicate real well.

BTW, that is an excellent picture illustrating the problem with alot of these blocks, and they chose that one to make a cut-away of and put on display.

FYI, most of the time the guys in the booths at the bigger trade shows are sales reps, not always, but most of the time, especially for the larger companies. That is how our company does it.

Originally Posted by joe11204
FWIW.

I was at PRI 2010 and while at the GM Performance parts booth I noticed they had a cut away LSX block on display.

Take a close look and you decide if this is a defect. Keep in mind this is the block GMPP chose to display to the public.

In the picture, cylinders 5 & 7 are untouched as they are from the factory.

Cylinders 1 & 3 are bored to 4.125 according to the GMPP rep. Look at how little material is left at the 10 o'clock position of #3. There is obvious core shift in all cylinders and bolt holes.

There was a rep from GMPP there. He was supposedly the guy in charge of the LSX platform and said that there was nothing abnormal with the block. End of story as far as he was concerned.

Last edited by helicoil; 02-01-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: can't write a sentence fro sh^t tonight
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you the guy that poured the block at the foundry?

If you'd be happy with a block with that much core shift more power to you. I recognize most of the problem is with the owner/tuner, but I dont see the world as black and white as you and think it is probable the core shift played a role in this problem.

Where did I say the detonation was GMs fault? You are assuming detonation is what blew that block up, where was that proven any more than core shift weakened the walls?
Have you been around engines for any time? They don't just cave in because the walls were too thin when everything is running perfect. The only possible role core shift played is where the hole was made. Still would have been a $10k boat anchor even with 3" thick walls.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

I agree it looks like there is a huge problem with those blocks pictured, and possibly several other blocks. And from what Shawn has said, there seems to be a huge problem with QC if they're that abundant.

On that note, the 454 wasn't/isn't meant for boost. Using a smaller bore like it should have, there should be plenty of meat in the cylinder walls.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Still would have been a $10k boat anchor even with 3" thick walls.
Yeah, and you're trying to make me out to be an amateur.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you been around engines for any time? They don't just cave in because the walls were too thin when everything is running perfect. The only possible role core shift played is where the hole was made. Still would have been a $10k boat anchor even with 3" thick walls.
the walls are too thin for a boosted engine period. combine it with high compression, a (probably, judging by their ignorance so far) high SCR, who the **** KNOWS what AIT, and you have a recipe for disaster. while core shift may have made the already too thin walls thinner in one place, they were too thin PERIOD.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you look at thompson automotive all the LSX boosted blocks he uses are only bored to the 7L configuration of 4.125 the 454 is 4.185 the maximum bore on the LSX is 4.2 leaving you with 0.200 (so they say) but yeah all the boosted stuff is only 4.125 giving you thicker walls and as everyone knows you should be running lower compression pistons when boosting, ofcourse it is possible to run high compression with boost but when it detonates too early from all the heat bang it has to go somewhere and it chooses the weakest part if the valves are closed.

and yeah sure thing you can boost a 454 just lower your compression....deeeeeeerrrr!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ see my previous post.

Last edited by kmracer; 02-01-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Staging Lane

What i don't like is they're trying to justify a warranty return, not by what's stated in the warranty but by what some guy from GM said. Even when you buy a $5 item on ebay you read the description. I would hope somebody who spends that kind of money on an engine has the fore sight to read what the warranty is, verify, then proceed with their plan fully understanding the liabilities, instead of boom now, fix later. I'm not hating. But this is like if I upon hearing from numerous GM engineers it was ok to run nitrous in my LS1 go ahead and do it then complain about warranty work not being honored if I happened to blow it on a 75hp shot. It should have held right?

More credence would be lent to his argument if more data was given and not just a pic of a blown block. Setup data, dyno data etc.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree completely. he's obviously not telling the whole story, rather, the story shows either a) the people assembling the car have no idea what the **** they're doing, or b) they're telling half the story. "but oh, it was on race gas" doesnt mean ****.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kmracer
i agree completely. he's obviously not telling the whole story, rather, the story shows either a) the people assembling the car have no idea what the **** they're doing, or b) they're telling half the story. "but oh, it was on race gas" doesnt mean ****.
Whoops I accidentally loaded the tune for a bolt on car for the first dyno pull

Or, whoops, I had a 1 bar MAP sensor/ran it off a MAF tune.

There are so many things that could have gone wrong with tuning on that initial pull I don't know where to start. Like you said, race gas doesn't mean **** if you REALLY mess it up.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

exactly. all the shop owner has to say is "AW **** MAN GM FUCKED US OVER LETS GIT EM! YEEEEEAAAARRRRR!!"
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have you been around engines for any time? They don't just cave in because the walls were too thin when everything is running perfect.
um yes, as a matter of fact they do. Everything has a breaking point, IF this core shift was bad on this block and everything was running perfect it is entirely possible the breaking point was exceeded for a thin spot in the cylinder wall and the pictures from the first post were the result. Thats just common sense.

the bottom line here is that not nearly enough factual information surrounding the motor and its short life has been provided to make a conclusion as to why the block failed.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

I think it just didnt have enough mithril combined in the making of the block. Couple that with not spraying vespene gas, and you have a recipe for disaster.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
what am i trying to look at? What exactely is "core shift"?
I believe it's abnormally thin wall of a cylinder comparing it other cylinders. It's caused by bad casting at the factory or whatever shack in mexico they're made at.

Sucks for the 5th gen owner but the only time to catch the issue and get GM to fix it is looking at it before installing/running it. From the other shops posting on here it seems a lot of people are aware about the bad LSX blocks. I guess his shop was ignorant.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, and you're trying to make me out to be an amateur.
I will take that reply as you saying: "You are right, I have no idea what goes on inside an engine".

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
um yes, as a matter of fact they do. Everything has a breaking point, IF this core shift was bad on this block and everything was running perfect it is entirely possible the breaking point was exceeded for a thin spot in the cylinder wall and the pictures from the first post were the result. Thats just common sense.

the bottom line here is that not nearly enough factual information surrounding the motor and its short life has been provided to make a conclusion as to why the block failed.
Oh, ok great. Show me some that have just caved in on all motor setups. There must be a rash of them with all of these horrible, defective LSX blocks floating around. Doesn't have to be an LSX though, show me any engine that just caved in a wall all motor after running for only a few minutes and wasn't detonating like a ****.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Core shift shouldnt even be an issue on a low volume block like the LSX

Quick Reply: Boosted GMPP LSX 454 Cylinder Cracks Like An Egg Shell