Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at this post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ntrollers.html
Old 02-02-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

The set up your thinking of is really no different than running a waste gate and a boost controller like your talking about.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nodrok, any idea on the whole intake pressure ending up being twice what the wastegate spring psi is at? I was under the impression that a 5psi wastegate would blow off anything over 5psi?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Ive read of some guys saying they are running for example 5psi springs and then making 10 psi. But that doesnt make any cense. Pressure is pressure, My best guess and im no expert would be that they have bad waste gate placement or they are running too small or a wastgate.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hrm, i was hoping one in the 40mm range would be ideal enough to work for lower boost, in the 6psi range
Old 02-02-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will really depend on how much boost your trying to bleed off.
if your trying to bleed off 10psi i would think you would need a large gate
but if your trying to bleed of 2-4psi then you could get away with a much smaller one
Old 02-02-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That would make sense.
On a website, if a wastegate indicates it has a..say 7 psi spring, does that mean it opens when 7psi is applied to it?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nodrok
Ive read of some guys saying they are running for example 5psi springs and then making 10 psi. But that doesnt make any cense. Pressure is pressure, My best guess and im no expert would be that they have bad waste gate placement or they are running too small or a wastgate.
think you need to look into how weastgates actaully work a litlte more!

They are basically a vavle that is operated by actuator. Its the actuator that see the presure and opens the vavles, not the exhaust gas (in this the boost air). So if you bleed of some of this boosted air before it reaches the weastage you can run more presure than the spring is setup to hold. Obviouslt once you start to push WAY past the spring presure the exhaust gas itself will start to push the gate open. This is when a higher rate spring is needed.

Thanks,

Chris.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So the actuator recieves pressure from a charge pipe seeing positive pressure? So this keeps the valve closed for pressures slightly above its spring rate?
Could you just not hook up the actuator, and have it based solely on spring pressure?
Im still confused as to how you would get this to open and bleed off anything over a low pressure.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chuntington101
think you need to look into how weastgates actaully work a litlte more!

They are basically a vavle that is operated by actuator. Its the actuator that see the presure and opens the vavles, not the exhaust gas (in this the boost air). So if you bleed of some of this boosted air before it reaches the weastage you can run more presure than the spring is setup to hold. Obviouslt once you start to push WAY past the spring presure the exhaust gas itself will start to push the gate open. This is when a higher rate spring is needed.

Thanks,

Chris.
The actuator has pressure on both sides. If the boost pressure on both sides is equal the your spring rate is the default in this case 5psi . So you would make 5psi. Now if you bleed off some pressure on the lower side of the waste gate this increases pressure on the back side of the spring holding the waste gate shut until the difference in boost pressure (between reference 1 and 2) + the your 5psi spring. (whatever amount you set to bleed off).

I understand stand how you could achieve 10 psi on a 5 psi spring. I just dont understand why you would run it that way on a single boost setting setup. May be I miss understood the build I was reading about.

Sorry for confusing anyone.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

Using a Wastegate is the way to go. Its how we do it!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

The actuator has pressure on both sides. If the boost pressure on both sides is equal the your spring rate is the default in this case 5psi . So you would make 5psi. Now if you bleed off some pressure on the lower side of the waste gate this increases pressure on the back side of the spring holding the waste gate shut until the difference in boost pressure (between reference 1 and 2) + the your 5psi spring. (whatever amount you set to bleed off).

I understand stand how you could achieve 10 psi on a 5 psi spring. I just dont understand why you would run it that way on a single boost setting setup. May be I miss understood the build I was reading about.

Sorry for confusing anyone.
Yes but your ref 2 presure is normally just left open to the atmosphere.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MomentumAutosports
Using a Wastegate is the way to go. Its how we do it!
It is how alot of people have done it. However i think ti would be intresting to see the throttle body used as a form of boost regulation. It could even be tied back into the traction control system to help reduce power when you loose traction.

On a supercharged system ti would also reduce the amount of componenets you have to worry about. No need for a weastgate if the throttle is modulating the boost for you.

Chris.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

Motec traction control works great if you really want to have traction control.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Regular

I think his concept is to control traction without backing off on engine speed. Keep the engine tacked up so when the traction control kicks off its ready to get it. Not a bad idea.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

I think his concept is to control traction without backing off on engine speed. Keep the engine tacked up so when the traction control kicks off its ready to get it. Not a bad idea.
Its was more to do with how to best control an engine! cutting spark is a more on off approach, were as throtling back is very linier and controlable. and thats what you would do if you where in controle of the throttle. same gose for controling boost (or power) of an engine.

Thanks Chris.

Quick Reply: Adjustable boost supercharger