Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ProCharger Front Mount Intercooler for 98-02 F Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front mount

I have the twin 4.5 intercooler setup.. I'm thinking about converting too the front mount. But before I do. I want to see if anyone switched and hear what they think?? before dropping 1300 for the kit
Old 02-12-2018, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Zombie thread but a legit concern^^^^. I asked about the same thing once here. But I'll wait to see of others chime in because I have no real world experience.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Honestly if your under 600 rwhp I wouldn’t bother losing the 4.5’s. I’m over 750 and went to a cx front mount (both setups with alky control and 93 tune). I was seeing 150 iats at the end of the half at wannagofast in cool air. I’m going to make a spoiler to jam more air in and see what that does. Since I’m running a formula I only have the license plate hole right now. Can’t yank the fog lights like a ta.

If I dont like the spoiler results it may get an a2w or a garret/bell cored a2a. Bob will eventually respond here and is a great help. I don’t know how good the pc fmic really is by comparison. I kind of wish I had kept all my stuff and went to twin small a2w that mounted the same.

All hypothetical though since I’ve resisted going water because of that new headache I’d introduce.

Still haven’t mastered an air filter system I love. This car is a continuous pain I can’t seem to quit on��
Old 02-13-2018, 05:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 007FJ
Honestly if your under 600 rwhp I wouldn’t bother losing the 4.5’s. I’m over 750 and went to a cx front mount (both setups with alky control and 93 tune). I was seeing 150 iats at the end of the half at wannagofast in cool air. I’m going to make a spoiler to jam more air in and see what that does. Since I’m running a formula I only have the license plate hole right now. Can’t yank the fog lights like a ta.

If I dont like the spoiler results it may get an a2w or a garret/bell cored a2a. Bob will eventually respond here and is a great help. I don’t know how good the pc fmic really is by comparison. I kind of wish I had kept all my stuff and went to twin small a2w that mounted the same.

All hypothetical though since I’ve resisted going water because of that new headache I’d introduce.

Still haven’t mastered an air filter system I love. This car is a continuous pain I can’t seem to quit on��

Flaps under your intercooler should lower your iat's since you have a limited opening in the nose. It's been done before and it makes a real difference.

The ProCharger front mount intercooler is superior to the CX Racing intercoolers. At the old EPP shop we sold front mounts using a CX Racing intercooler, this was prior to ProCharger coming out with a front mount for the 4th gen. The CX Racing (Ebay) intercoolers are a hit or miss deal, some of them seem to flow okay, others aren't worth a crap. One customer, Brian K had a CX Racing intercooler on his GTO, he kept having problems with it, and bought a ProCharger front mount from me which solved his problems. I'm going to e-mail him and let him know about this thread to see if he wants to add his input.

As far as going to an air to water, I think you'll regret it if you do. I found it to be a pain in the rear on my Camaro. I sent through a lot of bags of ice at the track and the inlet air temps weren't getting low enough to make it worthwhile. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-13-2018, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Maybe I'm just being silly, but doesn't adding a spoiler to force additional air up and into the engine bay mean more lift? Seems like that could be a concern at the high speeds you're going to be seeing running 1/2 or full miles.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Maybe I'm just being silly, but doesn't adding a spoiler to force additional air up and into the engine bay mean more lift? Seems like that could be a concern at the high speeds you're going to be seeing running 1/2 or full miles.
Nope, spoilers under the front add downforce. Bob

Old 02-13-2018, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Even though they are forcing air into the engine bay essentially?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Need the air through the radiator as well anyway. HP generates a lot of heat so not an issue. Bob is right about the A2W which is why I have resisted it.

I think my CX is OK but if the spoiler doesn't make me happy, I'll be buying a high quality IC
Old 02-13-2018, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Left off something. Keeping air out of the bottom of the car is a bigger help and a lot of the air you are thinking is gathering in the engine compartment is actually diverted to the sides as well which creates a lower pressure under the car which helps air through the IC and radiator as a bonus. My car isn't as low as it should be because I want it to work better on the launch and not be a victim in and out of the driveway or speed bumps. Everything is a compromise as always.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, it replaces that one. That picture is of a twin intercooler setup. Air is coming into the box from two separate IC's and then is directed to the motor. With a front mount you can use that box/plenum.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
1. Does it replace this one?
2. What is a race bypass valve?

Thanks,
Mike.
Yes it does. Here's a link to it. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GJ11...-1GJ115-IC.htm

The race bypass valve is a ProCharger bypass valve (big red) that is much larger than the standard ProFlow bypass valve. Basically it is needed at 12+ psi of boost, so that boost doesn't stack up and try to slow the blower down when the throttle is slammed shut. The race bypass is also a lot louder, many people order it for this very reason, even though they're only running 8 psi. Bob

Old 02-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

The cost for a very good FMIC is about the same it seems.

If you don't go with the Procharger unit, the 6" Bell or 4.5" Garrett are about the same (and a 6" Garrett is going to perform the best and be the most expensive).
Old 07-31-2018, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Yes it does. Here's a link to it. http://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-1GJ11...-1GJ115-IC.htm

The race bypass valve is a ProCharger bypass valve (big red) that is much larger than the standard ProFlow bypass valve. Basically it is needed at 12+ psi of boost, so that boost doesn't stack up and try to slow the blower down when the throttle is slammed shut. The race bypass is also a lot louder, many people order it for this very reason, even though they're only running 8 psi. Bob
do you have link to hole kit still? Other links not working.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Nope, spoilers under the front add downforce. Bob
I know is an old thread but just doing some research before I'm that guy that asks a question that's been asked several times on here...does anyone have any examples of this spoiler or flap to aid more air to intercooler??
Old 08-01-2018, 04:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sundevils05
I know is an old thread but just doing some research before I'm that guy that asks a question that's been asked several times on here...does anyone have any examples of this spoiler or flap to aid more air to intercooler??

https://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-AIGA...AIGA3I-009.htm
Bob

Quick Reply: ProCharger Front Mount Intercooler for 98-02 F Body