Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lets talk correct Turbo air filter size

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk correct Turbo air filter size

For over a year now, my APS powered corvette has had screens on the turbos. Naturally, I wan't to put filters on them and not choke them out or lose a ton of power.

The turbos are the Mitsu 20g in size and flow 650cfm @ 15 psi. Does this also mean I will need a filter that flows at least that since I run them around 18psi on high boost?

I ask because I've seen pics of bigger turbos run what seems to be smaller filters than what I have in mind. Does it all have to do with surface area?

I'm working with a tight space and am trying to maximize flow while keeping the overall size down.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont know all of the "scientific" data lol, but everytime ive seen a thread like this its always said that the screens are REALLY restrictive and just use the biggest filter that you can fit
Old 02-05-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by buick_lsx
i dont know all of the "scientific" data lol, but everytime ive seen a thread like this its always said that the screens are REALLY restrictive and just use the biggest filter that you can fit
I've read somewhere before that surface area is a big variable and that's how filters help. However, I can't find where I read it so who knows...

Old 02-05-2011, 03:15 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Use the biggest filter you can get your ands on if not add a Y and run 2 filters.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Use the biggest filter you can get your ands on if not add a Y and run 2 filters.
That's what I plan on doing. What I don't want to do it put a filter on it and it choke my turbos out where they don't perform well.

There is absolutely NO room for a Y.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the mesh filter probably flows less air than the smallest "quality" filter you can put on it
Old 02-05-2011, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

could you run intake pipe from the turbos to somewhere else (bigger area) and put a filter there? I too have heard that screens are far worse than filters. Any pics of the car? sounds pretty good so far....
Old 02-05-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
could you run intake pipe from the turbos to somewhere else (bigger area) and put a filter there? I too have heard that screens are far worse than filters. Any pics of the car? sounds pretty good so far....
It could be done by a good fabricator, but I don't have that in my budget right now. I truly think there is room for filters, I just dont want them too small.

I've got plenty of pics, but none of which show the space Im working with. Its and LS1 with an LS2 pan that I specifically put on to give me more room. After I get some more opinions and responses, I can post pics of the ride

Quick Reply: Lets talk correct Turbo air filter size