Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Camaro build - TC78 + 4L80e + E85

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you did a nice job on the fabbing portion. the welding you could see a lil inexperience. lol
that takes time. and if you stop for awhile youll suck again for a day or so.lol
Old 04-28-2011, 06:33 AM
TECH Resident

They may not be the prettiest, but they're strong! I'm wrapping it in DEI Titanium heat wrap anyway, so it's not as important to me. The hardest part is having to stop every couple inches to rotate the pipe, then pick back up where I left off. Wish I had a better way to do it.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

I got almost the same turbo kit as u, just my dp just dumps. But I have a ls2 with 317 heads and a bigger cam. Same injectors and also I'm on e85 too. Hopefully this weekend ill have a dyno number for you to compare to.

But ya I love your build hurry up and finish it
Old 05-10-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Nice...looking forward to seeing your dyno results!

Been really busy and haven't done a whole lot...minor progress. We've had beautiful weather here lately, and not being able to take the car out cruising has been hard. It'll be for the best though, and it's my own fault having switch my configuration a few times and going as far as buying a welder and fabricating my own plumbing (love my A/C!)

Got my Innovate LC1 + gauge, AEM Tru Boost boost controller + gauge, and trans temp gauge in the pod and in the process of getting that wired up in my spare time at night when I can't be running a saw in my driveway.

I am welding up another turbo kit or two with the leftover mandrel bends I have...the one I am working on now doesn't attempt to keep the front swaybar - at first I was going to keep it, but I may be lower in the front that I expect once I put on my Eibach Pro Kit - seems many people don't run them, and with subframe connectors and a STB it should help. We'll see. But, I have to keep the engine on the stand while I finish welding up these pipes, so that might delay me a bit.

Still need to buy:
MAP sensor for speed density tune
pusher fans (the dual Spal 2000+ CFPM each setup)
transmission cooler (and figure out where the hell to mount it)

And work out a trade for the M6 --> A4 parts I need (upper console, shifter, pedals, engine harness, etc)

Another BIG step in the right direction was getting my 4L80e back from the guy who built it tonight. Took a little while, but I wasn't in a big hurry since I had other things to do on the car still and was nowhere near the point of installing it.

Before:

After:

Last edited by evo462; 05-10-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Oh yeah, got my Circle D multi disk 4L80e converter too...sure is purdy.

Got these too as a bday present to myself...decided if I was going to lower the car, I was going to lower it right.

Last edited by evo462; 05-10-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evo462
Oh yeah, got my Circle D multi disk 4L80e converter too...sure is purdy.

Got these too as a bday present to myself...decided if I was going to lower the car, I was going to lower it right.

S.O.B, I just ordered my adjustable LCA's and relocation brackets today I like those.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:38 AM
TECH Regular

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...l#post14911359
Old 05-14-2011, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Nice numbers! I bet it feels strong. Did that meet your expectations? I'm hoping I can get about 550HP/550TQ to the tires myself.

I finished up fabricating turbo plumbing kit #2 last night (with the exception of the wastegate plumbing...holding off on that until I decide which one is going on my car. Difference with this one is I didn't try keeping the swaybar - still up in the air on whether or not I want to keep it. I figure with a strut tower brace and subframe connectors, it won't be as important. Should still keep the stock radiator location, and the AC of course.

Last edited by evo462; 05-14-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Regular

^ that looks sic man!
And ya I was hoping to bet 610whp just because I built a ls9 that did that on 15lbs and I wanted to beat it. But then again I'm sur I have more crank then that car so I'm happy.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

Youre running e85, I would think you could add a little more timing to it or maybe a little more boost...can the LS2 pistons handle more power than the LS1 pistons?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by evo462
Youre running e85, I would think you could add a little more timing to it or maybe a little more boost...can the LS2 pistons handle more power than the LS1 pistons?
yes they are better pistons, but still cast junk. I am on e85 and prob could turn the boost up but i need to set the car up first anyways, plus 550 wheel is a good power to start at. im only at 16 mid range and 17 degress of timing up top. Im sure i could do 2-3 more degrees and eh 3 more pounds of boost safely. I always think that would add atleast 65whp.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's very safe timing/boost on e85, should last for a long time at that power level.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skinnies
That's very safe timing/boost on e85, should last for a long time at that power level.
I run around on 10 degrees timing on pump. 9.5 compression, still have a feeling I will melt some pistons.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01Z28Camaro
I run around on 10 degrees timing on pump. 9.5 compression, still have a feeling I will melt some pistons.
hey what rear suspension setup do you have? your car looks like it laucnhes great
Old 05-14-2011, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLINGOLE
hey what rear suspension setup do you have? your car looks like it laucnhes great
Full spohn setup with stock shocks. The spohn drag sway bar keeps it launching straight.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

Been about a month since my last update, so here goes...

I was all set to run my C6/truck manifold setup when I stumbled across a set of turbo headers I just had to have, so I am kicking around the idea of ditching the C6 setup for the turbo headers. The only drawback is I'll have to stand a radiator up vertical and do some modification to make my condenser fit as opposed to the C6 setup keeping the radiator in the stock location, but I may be willing to do it so that I have room to "grow" to a bigger turbo down the line.

I am once again pondering the idea of a 5.3L (aluminum block, 243/799 heads) so that I can safely squeeze a little more power out of this setup than I could with the LS1. I dunno...gonna give it a night of drinking to think it over I am planning to put *A* engine back in my car the week after next and get this puppy back on the road. I have this mental block about not running my LS1 and swapping in a 5.3L for some reason. My car has fairly low miles, so if I do swap in a truck engine, I want it to have the same or less miles. I dunno, it's a mental hurdle I have to overcome I suppose.

I am in the middle of doing my fuel pump setup and getting my boost controller/wideband/trans temp gauges all wired up. Kind of waiting for an electrically savvy friend of mine to come over, because I will be running the second pump on a Hobbs switch, and the wideband has some pretty specific wiring instructions.

I still need to install the automatic pedals/shifter that I got in a couple weeks ago, but aside from that and the electrical stuff...most of the "big" items are done and I'll just need to put the engine back in.

If I run the Spoolin Performance turbo headers, I'll need to fabricate a merge and downpipe this week while trying to do all the other odds and ends. Shouldn't be too difficult, though. All that work on the C6 manifold kits for nothin'!

Now for pics:

Got my car rolled out of the garage for the first time in quite awhile...front bumper off while I work on mounting the intercooler

Spoolin Performance stainless turbo headers

The C6 manifold setup I just finished that I had planned to run (maybe still will, who knows)

The intercooler mounting bracket I fabbed up today

I'll probably end up making another bracket for the bottom intercooler holes, using the bottom vacant holes from the frame cross bracket that I removed. Depends how stable it feels with this bracket, I think it'll need it though...the intercooler is fairly heavy.

Starting to see a faint light at the end of a long dark tunnel!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Welp...just realized the fans I ordered off Ebay are pullers not pushers like I thought (wasn't paying close attention)...guess the turbo headers are a go!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Teching In

I would just stick with the ls1 they can hold a lot more than you think.
This guy has rod bolts, and a custom cam on the motor. The turbo is a pt88 and e85 for fuel and ran a 9.6 @ 140.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...9-140-8-a.html
Old 06-12-2011, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check out madmad for the dipstick, lokars are not very good, and madMan has the direct fit 4l80E sticks... i got mine a week or 2 ago, very nice, they just arent listed, you have to call about it.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, I actually got a dipstick from them just this last week! I read enough headaches about the Lokar...I was glad I stumbled onto that thread where someone mentioned these in the Automatic Transmission forum.

Got my intercooler mounted today - perfect clearance, just where I wanted it. I think I'll go ahead and fab up a bracket for the bottom as well, since there are two threaded holes there. It's pretty darn sturdy with just the top, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and have to remove the bumper again later to fix what I could have done now!

Once I get both brackets finished, I'm going to hit them with some gloss black engine paint...mainly just for protection from the elements. Can't wait to see this guy peaking through my front grill!

Buying a MIG welder was probably one of the best things I've ever done. So handy to make my own brackets and turbo parts.

Quick Reply: Turbo Camaro build - TC78 + 4L80e + E85