Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Camaro build - TC78 + 4L80e + E85

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so effing over this turbo build. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has gone smoothly or right.

I don't have much spare time to work on the thing anymore, and when I do work on it, I find something new on the setup that won't work.

So I sold the turbo plumbing I fabbed up to keep the AC, to just run the ModularTurbo truck manifold kit that I'd purchased as an "insurance policy" in case the kit I welded out of the car didn't fit, right? Well, I've pretty much determined that plumbing setup won't work either, for a couple reasons.

1) I have an aftermarket K member, and this kit was built around a stock K member, so the downpipe it came with won't work. No problem, I have a welder, can do a new one fairly quickly, right? Wrong. The location where my oil pan is tapped is right where I'd have to run the downpipe on this setup, because the different location of the motor mount on the BMR k member. So I can't even run a new downpipe, because my oil drain won't work.

2) My aftermarket fuels rails had to be modified to clear the alternator relocation bracket. Fine right? Wrong. Now the fuel rails interfere with my throttle body cable bracket. So I either have to buy new fuel rails and figure out a new setup, or figure out a way to make a new throttle body cable bracket (yeah right)

So yeah, little to no progress, car's been down nearly a year and a half, and I'm ******* tired of dealing with it. I just want to drive it. No, I want a Corvette...but I can't, because I have all this money tied up in a car that doesn't run.

As far as I see it, I'm either going to have to fab up a new hotside, which I don't have the time or desire to do, which will probably require more custom modification to do a vertical radiator and all that bullshit, or pay someone to do it for me (more money, yay), or ?????

OVER IT
Old 04-25-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Man i feel your pain!
Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

The joys of building a fast car.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of this you have been through I have been through 10 fold on other projects. So when it came to turboing my TA I decided I would spend a little more money instead of time and just bought the CBR twin turbo kit. Fit is perfect, no banging my head against the way, no doing things twice or three times.
Hang in there and finish it some how. It is always worth it when its done.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you could get this to work? https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...taining-c.html
Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
All of this you have been through I have been through 10 fold on other projects. So when it came to turboing my TA I decided I would spend a little more money instead of time and just bought the CBR twin turbo kit. Fit is perfect, no banging my head against the way, no doing things twice or three times.
Hang in there and finish it some how. It is always worth it when its done.
I know, hindsight is 20/20. I knew there'd be some "extra" work and headaches involved with doing completely custom and cobbling together parts on my own. I was fine with that. But there was also problems from just completely bunk parts...like a brand new, but out of spec transmission crossmember, etc.

So yeah, if I could do it all over again, knowing what I know now. I'd probably have never pulled my engine, left the 6 speed in it, threw on a basic truck manifold kit, and have been driving it for over a year. Or do what you said, and buy a "complete" kit. Also, when I started this project in mid-late 2010, there was a lot less options on the market as far as vendors with complete (or even affordable) turbo setups.

I'll finish it.....eventually.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got very lucky. In around May last year I decided I was ditching the 7000 RPM launching solid roller setup and going FI. I had all but decided on going with a procharger. But the more I searched I found all the problems associated with that. And Rob and Chris just rolled out the most complete twin kit I have ever seen. I had already researched APS and decided that was not for me. So I kept watching the progress on the CBR kit. Meanwhile I am looking at truck kits and whatever. Well after looking at build threads 1-3 years old and guys still fighting to finish I said f that. I sold a few things I didn't need and got the kit. Now it's 6 months later and it's taken until now to gather a block, get pistons made, a crank, rods, all associated parts and get machined. Now I have a complete motor setting in pieces, a turbo kit setting in pieces and no time to put the motor together. Oh, and my car has been setting with the motor and trans out since November of 2005.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by evo462
I'm so effing over this turbo build. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has gone smoothly or right.

I don't have much spare time to work on the thing anymore, and when I do work on it, I find something new on the setup that won't work.

So I sold the turbo plumbing I fabbed up to keep the AC, to just run the ModularTurbo truck manifold kit that I'd purchased as an "insurance policy" in case the kit I welded out of the car didn't fit, right? Well, I've pretty much determined that plumbing setup won't work either, for a couple reasons.

1) I have an aftermarket K member, and this kit was built around a stock K member, so the downpipe it came with won't work. No problem, I have a welder, can do a new one fairly quickly, right? Wrong. The location where my oil pan is tapped is right where I'd have to run the downpipe on this setup, because the different location of the motor mount on the BMR k member. So I can't even run a new downpipe, because my oil drain won't work.

2) My aftermarket fuels rails had to be modified to clear the alternator relocation bracket. Fine right? Wrong. Now the fuel rails interfere with my throttle body cable bracket. So I either have to buy new fuel rails and figure out a new setup, or figure out a way to make a new throttle body cable bracket (yeah right)

So yeah, little to no progress, car's been down nearly a year and a half, and I'm ******* tired of dealing with it. I just want to drive it. No, I want a Corvette...but I can't, because I have all this money tied up in a car that doesn't run.

As far as I see it, I'm either going to have to fab up a new hotside, which I don't have the time or desire to do, which will probably require more custom modification to do a vertical radiator and all that bullshit, or pay someone to do it for me (more money, yay), or ?????

OVER IT

lol, that is why I bought a procharger. I could do it in 3 days start to finish including fuel, with hand tools, and things go so smooth. Its expensive because its well thought out. Nothing beats the turbo feel though, but the headache and time spent was something I was not willing to deal with. I will be done in august or october and be pushin around 750-800 reliable hp.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a procharger f1a for sale. Check out the link in my sig, lol.

Quick Reply: Turbo Camaro build - TC78 + 4L80e + E85