Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Re-using FMIC after blower breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-using FMIC after blower breaks?

Ive got a front mount intercooler on my car, and long story short my head unit exploded and sent some big pieces of impeller debris into the IC. I was able to get the larger pieces out by hand, but as the IC has not been removed from the car yet, I am assuming there are tons of smaller particles caught in there.

Question is: Can I remove the IC, blow compressed air in it and blow all that crap out of there and re-use it? Or should i just get a replacement
Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would just replace it. Look at it this way an IC is a hell of alot cheaper to replace then a motor
Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why and how did it explode? What brand and style?
Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

You can run water through it. Air wont get in very many places but flowing water will. Problem is it wont have much force

Its also a good idea to pressure test it before counting it good for the next build
Old 02-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Pull it off and reverse flush it with water if its bothering you. Most of the time when there is a catosrophic failure, the material never makes it to the i/c let alone enough to damage it. The bends to the i/c slow the parts down. I have blown up one or two blowers in my day into the a/w ic and we would just reach in them and pull the big pieces out and Rock on.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:01 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

i would reverse flow like stated above with water but first i would reverse flow it with air

not compressed air, not enough volume

hold it up to the exhaust of another vehicle with some decent displacement, then have a buddy hold it at some rpm for awhile
Old 02-27-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool thanks for the response! What is a reverse flush and will a high pressure water sprayer help? Ill try the tailpipe way as well

Last edited by My2kz28; 02-27-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Hook up a leaf blower to the outlet and blow through it.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

A pressure washer is powerful enough to bend the fins on the inside. I wouldnt do that. A water hose or bathtub faucet are better

Reverse flush is where you hook whatever you're pushing through it (Air/water) to the outlet and blow the junk out opposite of the direction it flowed in

Leaf blower is a good idea
Old 02-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Water and a hose should be just fine. Shake any big chunks out first. Like I said when an impeller explodes like that not many big pieces stick in the I/C. They usually don't make it past the first couple bends in the piping.
I had f1r explode on my Gt500 and the tube was only 3 feed to the intake. There were only a couple small chunks. Broke the volute to into many pieces. 80000+ rpms and many miles of use will do that
Old 02-27-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm..see mine had some big F1A chunks. I know some small particles went through the IC because i saw some small particles in the intake elbow and a few in the intake as well (was able to get most of it out, checked oil and saw no flakes).

So that being said there has to be very small metal pieces in there..just want to make sure I get all that crap out of there. I dont know if those small pieces do anything to an engine or just blow through and get burned up, not sure..maybe someone can en-lighten me..

Like i said i did not see any metal particles in the oil, but for those of you that have had broken sc's before, have your engines been ok for the most part?

Just curious to see if people lose engines due to this, or if those small particles that make it past the IC do any real substantial damage...
Old 02-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

well you def. want as little as you can to get into the motor. So i would take the the nec. steps to make sure its all out of there. Some of it will burn in the combustion chamber. Im sure there was some dust from it all that went in too. For the most part there isn't anything you can do but make sure no more goes in.

I don't know how any particles would get in the oil either. so i wouldn't expect to see any in the oil.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dans776
well you def. want as little as you can to get into the motor. So i would take the the nec. steps to make sure its all out of there. Some of it will burn in the combustion chamber. Im sure there was some dust from it all that went in too. For the most part there isn't anything you can do but make sure no more goes in.

I don't know how any particles would get in the oil either. so i wouldn't expect to see any in the oil.

So what causes engine failure when something like this happens? I mean obviously metal pieces getting stuck in the valve seats, piston sidewall damage, etc...i guess im just curious to see whats let go when the engine eats small metal pieces..
Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Particles small enough to make it through an intercooler are finite. They'd just be abrasives in the cyls potentially scoring up the walls, pitting valve seats etc

Any damage would show up in a compression/leak down test. If all is well, dont worry about it

Quick Reply: Re-using FMIC after blower breaks?