Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Proper place for BOV

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper place for BOV

I was told that you should put you bov as closed to the turbo (pre intercooler) as possible to help with life of the turbo. But on almost every setup I see on here everyone is mounting them way close to the throttle body. Am I being mis guided?

Last edited by gsxr1k2; 02-28-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

nobody eh?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Doesnt really matter, as long as you have one lol.

Think of it this way, when you close the throttle the boost from the turbo will still be pressurizing the charge pipe. As long as the pressure escapes the charge pipe nothing will be damaged ie turbo backspin.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 PM
12 Second Club

Alright.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

I hear 2 different theories on this.

If the BOV is close to the tb, it keeps the intercooler and charge pipes under boost. This can help with lag because the turbo does not have to refill the intercooler between shifts.

If the BOV is before the intercooler, it keeps heat out of the intercooler because the hot compressed air is leaving the system before the intercooler.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Doesnt really matter, as long as you have one lol.

Think of it this way, when you close the throttle the boost from the turbo will still be pressurizing the charge pipe. As long as the pressure escapes the charge pipe nothing will be damaged ie turbo backspin.
hey i remember your using a steedy steed bov right?
how is that working out for you? i just got mine in the mail yesterday seem like a pretty simple concept, did you have to do any fine tuning with it or did you just rock and roll
Old 03-01-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
hey i remember your using a steedy steed bov right?
how is that working out for you? i just got mine in the mail yesterday seem like a pretty simple concept, did you have to do any fine tuning with it or did you just rock and roll
Worked well, rock and roll!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

my feeling on it is pressurized air being vented is all the same. if you dump hot side air... it has to repressurize, same as the cold side... you still repressurize the air either way... so i could care less on location
Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jordan, mine is mounted right before the throttle body. I don't think it's going to matter as long as the bov is capable of evacuating the air/pressure fast enough to keep from stalling the spin of the compressor side. It's when the turbo hits that brick wall (pressured air) when the throttle body blade is shut that does the actual harm. I'm no expert and I'm sure there is a ton of different opinions on here, but Josh built this one that I have and he does make some damn fine kits and has for a long time. Anyways just my humble .02 cents. Really knowledgeable guy and he's always willing to help out. Good luck. Chris

Last edited by ta02zx10r; 03-02-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4doortypels
my feeling on it is pressurized air being vented is all the same. if you dump hot side air... it has to repressurize, same as the cold side... you still repressurize the air either way... so i could care less on location
Originally Posted by ta02zx10r
Jordan, mine is mounted right before the throttle body. I don't think it's going to matter as long as the bov is capable of evacuating the air/pressure fast enough to keep from stalling the spin of the compressor side. It's when the turbo hits that brick wall (pressured air) when the throttle body blade is shut. I'm no expert and I'm sure there is a ton of different opinions on here, but Josh built this one and he does make some damn fine kits and has for a long time. Anyways just my humble .02 cents. Good luck. Chris
i agree with both of these statements
the propose of the bov is to relive pressure to allow the turbo to "free spin" and allows boost to come in quicker in the next gear due to the turbo being at relatively same rpms before gear change, it also prevents damage to the turbo due to "compressor backspin"
Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Worked well, rock and roll!
awesome im looking forward to it
how does it sound compared to others? i was kinda hoping for something not very noticeable
Old 03-04-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would find a convenient location...

Quick Reply: Proper place for BOV