Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

P1 procharger...Can I net 500+rwhp?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P1 procharger...Can I net 500+rwhp?!?!

I am getting out of the nitrous game and one of my local friends is selling his P1 procharger kit. He is a bone stock ls1 with the p1 on 9psi and makes 486rwhp.

I have a ms3 cam and off the bottle, I make 412rwhp.

now, I know people will say for me to change the cam. SAVE IT. I dont want to hear it. I like to be different and try different things that are claimed not to work, and I make them work.

now, He is on a 6 rib and the stock twin procharger intercoolers. I would change to a 8 rib pully (if I can find one somewhere) and get rid of the twins for a single intercooler.

on a 100 shot, I make 517rwhp. This is where I want to be minimum. Can I do this with a 8 rib, single intercooler and a ms3 cam on the p1?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:12 PM
FormerVendor

Those numbers are obtainable. A couple things you might want to know. To change to a 8 rib pulley, you need more then just the pulley. You need the entire 8 rib upgrade. You would probably need to upgrade your fuel system (not sure what you have currently). That cam will work any cam will but it's gonna bleed off some boost and make it a bitch to tune.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JUICED1
Those numbers are obtainable. A couple things you might want to know. To change to a 8 rib pulley, you need more then just the pulley. You need the entire 8 rib upgrade. You would probably need to upgrade your fuel system (not sure what you have currently). That cam will work any cam will but it's gonna bleed off some boost and make it a bitch to tune.
how much boost are we talking about bleeding off?

as far as fuel, I have 42lb injectors and the race tronix fuel pump and hot wire kit.

can you be more specific about the 8 rib? I honestly dont know much about it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To run an 8rib setup u need the ati balancer also, your going to need the blower pulley too plus the idler pulleys I believe. Forgot the 42's they will be
Maxed out also. I run twin Walbro 255's intank and
60's and it gets the job done and then some, but I'm on a mild tune/safe tune right now.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest switching to twin 255's and 60's right off the bat. Those numbers are pretty achievable with that setup. As said that cam is going to bleed off boost so you'll have to pulley down more then regular to make the same amount of boost. You can deff make a pretty bad *** setup though! You'll need an 8rib crank pulley, and the rest of the procharger bracket which I assume he's selling with the kit? You'll just need to upgrade the kit to the 8rib which is a wise choice from the beginning.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 AM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=kidcamaro98;14605038]now, I know people will say for me to change the cam. SAVE IT. I dont want to hear it. I like to be different and try different things that are claimed not to work, and I make them work. QUOTE]

It is not just a general idea behind the reason so many people will say that a cam like that is not suited for a boosted application, it is simple, the valvetrain events would not be suited to something be FORCED air. That cam worked well at pulling air into the motor, and making the most of what it could get, that is not the issue now.. PLEASE read http://www.forcedinductions.com/help.htm

There is a TON of info on what your asking.. The best combo will produce the best results, you want to be different, then "perfect your combo"

by my calc.. a motor that makes 380ish with 6lbs should make 535ish.. ( 380 for the cam change)

also yes the 42lbs will be maxxed out..
Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Since we're talking about supercharger cam selection, according to the link above, I have 5 degrees of overlap with my cam (227/235, 113lsa). I know it might not be perfect, but is it worth me changing it out? I am installing a D1SC if that helps and plan to stay under 8-10psi.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

^^^ no. you may bleed off a little boost, but it will still make good power.

Alot of guys over on the corvetteforum running big choppy cams like that and make insane #'s
Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

500+ is more than achievable with the P1. I started with a stock motor and at ~9 psi I made almost 550rwhp with the P1SC I had at the time. The engine had cam and boltons making 400 before the blower was installed. The cam at the time was a 228/234 .588/.598 on a 112+2. Not an ideal cam for boost at all, but with a 3.85" head unit pulley to keep the boost up it got the job done. Fueling at the time was on a racetronix pump with 60lb injectors.

I would recommend going to an SD tune the first time. My motor blew because of a blind MAF tune when the whether got cold and the intercoolers were changed out for the thicker ones.

To run an 8 rib system if his is currently a 6 rib you will need the following:
  • ATI Super Damper
  • Procharger 8 rib add on crank pulley (attaches to the damper)
  • Procharger 8 rib bracket standoffs, they are longer than the 6 rib.
  • Procharger 8 rib idler (wider than the 6 rib)
  • Head unit pulley with shims for spacing the pulley to clear the bracket (2 .1" shims)

Procharger sells an 8 rib upgrade kit that includes most of that.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
I suggest switching to twin 255's and 60's right off the bat. Those numbers are pretty achievable with that setup. As said that cam is going to bleed off boost so you'll have to pulley down more then regular to make the same amount of boost. You can deff make a pretty bad *** setup though! You'll need an 8rib crank pulley, and the rest of the procharger bracket which I assume he's selling with the kit? You'll just need to upgrade the kit to the 8rib which is a wise choice from the beginning.
I am pretty sure he is on a stock fuel pump with 42lb injectors and his tune is spot on. He bought the car "tuned" and wasnt sure how spot on it was and he had a local tuner take a look at it and he said it was fine and their wasnt much for him to change up.

as far as the setup, its on his car. I would be taking everything off his car, and putting it on mine.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aster
500+ is more than achievable with the P1. I started with a stock motor and at ~9 psi I made almost 550rwhp with the P1SC I had at the time. The engine had cam and boltons making 400 before the blower was installed. The cam at the time was a 228/234 .588/.598 on a 112+2. Not an ideal cam for boost at all, but with a 3.85" head unit pulley to keep the boost up it got the job done. Fueling at the time was on a racetronix pump with 60lb injectors.

I would recommend going to an SD tune the first time. My motor blew because of a blind MAF tune when the whether got cold and the intercoolers were changed out for the thicker ones.

To run an 8 rib system if his is currently a 6 rib you will need the following:
  • ATI Super Damper
  • Procharger 8 rib add on crank pulley (attaches to the damper)
  • Procharger 8 rib bracket standoffs, they are longer than the 6 rib.
  • Procharger 8 rib idler (wider than the 6 rib)
  • Head unit pulley with shims for spacing the pulley to clear the bracket (2 .1" shims)

Procharger sells an 8 rib upgrade kit that includes most of that.

EXACTLY what I was looking for! thanks man!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

FWIW - I made 523rwhp with bolt ons and a ls6 cam @ 9psi on a P1 with the little dual intercoolers.

With 42lb injectors and a walbro pump
Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...ml#post5740090
Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Like I said I would do the fuel pumps or at least one pump and the injectors and you should be good. It should be a pretty stout combo man. I suggest the fuel upgrades because you don't want to have any chances of leaning out. You should be able to make 530+ pretty easily.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Like I said I would do the fuel pumps or at least one pump and the injectors and you should be good. It should be a pretty stout combo man. I suggest the fuel upgrades because you don't want to have any chances of leaning out. You should be able to make 530+ pretty easily.

I already listed above I have the racetronix fuel pump and hotwire kit and 42lb injectors.

if needed, I will just upgrade the injectors...
Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I sell all the necessary parts required for the 8 rib conversion at the link here.
http://shop.brutespeed.com/98-02-F-Body_c181.htm Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: P1 procharger...Can I net 500+rwhp?!?!