Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hybrid STS build

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid STS build

So as the title says, I'm building a rear mount setup based off a few STS items but mostly my own conglomerate of parts. I'm shooting for 550-600whp on 7-8 lbs of boost. I bought the car as it sits with ~11.1 compression. I know several guys on here have made great power on cars with compression in that range. I'm very confident in my tuner and know we can as well. We just HAVE to be careful with that small margin of error. The car will be 95% street driven and 100% street driven until it gets a different rearend/driveshaft.

You can see the stats on my car as it currently sits in my signature.

Anyone have any comments how my current camshaft will work with this setup? Currently, it runs really strong from 3500rpm-until I shift (6000ish), but it's a little soft on the bottom. I'm not sure how this will be changed by a rear mount setup. I'm currently on the 10 bolt with a 3.42 gear (that's the next project).

The center piece of the kit is a Turbonetics TC-76 that I just bought from Modular Turbo. He recommended a P trim and .81 A/R. Most others recommended a .96 A/R, but we went with the .81 to help spool time, and I don't need to make power past 6000 rpm. I can always swap it out if it falls on its face before shifting.

I have already purchased factory manifolds and a Mac ORY from some people on the board. I will probably run 2.5" pipe from the Y to the turbo. Zombie has 3" on his setup now, but he is making way more power than I intend to make. The manifolds will be coated and everything behind that will be wrapped as well as a blanket on the turbo. The turbo will have it's own stand alone oiling system with a reservoir and cooler as well. I haven't bought a pump yet, but I'm looking at a Shurflo. Basically the only thing I'm using from a used STS kit I picked up for cheap is most of the cold side piping (with some re-routing in the front of the car and under the rearend), FMIC, and the TiAL WG and BOV that came with the kit.

I'm running AEM's meth kit with their new boost safe monitor as well as their boost controller. I'm also running their wideband setup. I plan to run the car on the street minus meth on ~4 lbs and with meth on ~8lbs. I'm going to be on 93 octane.

I picked up some 71lb RC injectors off a member here. I know they are bigger than what I need currently, but they should do the trick. I have yet to upgrade the fuel pump. I was going to do an Aeromotive 340, but they are on backorder until May. Looks like I may go with a Bosch 044 instead. I think I'm in that gray area of too much for a single 255 and not enough to need a twin in-tank setup.

Anyone care to take a stab at what kind of hp it will make? I should have numbers within the next month assuming everything goes smoothly. I still have a few parts to buy and have to find the time to make it all happen.

I'm always glad to hear ideas/suggestions for improvement as well. I'm always learning.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

why did you choose the p-trim over the f1-trim turbine wheel that's the same price?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Karpellarpy
why did you choose the p-trim over the f1-trim turbine wheel that's the same price?
I went with what modular turbo recommended for my power goals.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

you're definitely gonna wanna change the cam, and i personally would have gone with a .96 A/R and a 2.5" y pipe - back. your motor is gonna be begging for more boost, and its built for it. i also wouldnt hesitate to spin the motor to at least 6500 if not 7000, again its built for it.

the motor is easily capable of 800whp.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the advice. I've thought all along a cam swap would probably help me out a lot.

As far as my setup being capable of 800 whp, maybe it could or maybe it couldn't. Either way that much power is really of no use to my goals. Sure, saying "my car made 800+ on the dyno" sounds great, but what does it really do for me? Again, it's a 95% street driven car. Could I use 800 hp 95% of the time? Absolutely not.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

And the ORY is 2.5" unless I'm mistaken.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i mean from the ORY to the turbo. the "cat back"...

and you really never know when you're gonna get bored. plan for more than you're gonna make off the bat. give yourself room to grow, chances are you'll want it. remember, boost is like crack.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Oh I see what you meant on the cat back when I re-read. Good point on leaving myself room. I see the crack analogy thrown around a lot.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only limiting factor for you wanting more is gonna be traction, heh. before you know it you'll be cranking boost to 15psi ahahha.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Staging Lane

I'm swapping the cam, so the one in my car will be available shortly if anyone is looking for something like that. I'm believe I will go with one of Speed Inc.'s turbo cams.

I know there are a million threads on here about fuel pumps. Anyone care to give an opinion on a Bosch 044 vs. waiting forever for an Aeromotive 340?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is an inline? either bosch or walbro
Old 03-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Some guys have put the Bosch setup in the tank without issue. Whatever direction I go it will be an in-tank setup.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

mmk. well i'd look into doing dual walbros.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

dual walbros, i have a single intank and an inline... just wishing i would had done dual walbros...
Old 03-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

The more I research this I may ditch the small STS portion of this build completely. I've ran into the issue of having a subframe connector vs. having the charge pipe where the sfc normally sits. Anyone ever ran the cold side in the tunnel to get to the front of the car? I'm not sure how much room there is beside the torque arm, but I think it could be done. The only other option I can think of is to beef the charge pipe up with some additional bracketry and make it a sfc/charge pipe all built into one like the newer STS kits.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Launching!

I'm running comp cams remote mount turbo cam. Nice rumble to the idle, you might look into one of those. They have two different ones.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Santa showed up today.

AEM boost controller, meth kit and monitor, and wideband

Turbonetics TC 76 from Rob at Modular

Thanks to those for the cam advice. Currently making up my mind between the EPP cam and one of the Speed Inc cams.

Also, I have decided what I'm going to do for the cold side piping. A friend of mine who owns a chassis fab shop makes his own sfc for the 4th gens. For any of you that are familiar with the Detroit Speed SFCs for 69 Camaros, they are almost the same. They run through part of the floorpan (the rear 1/2) instead of running outside of the low point of the floor pan like most SFCs. The floor pan welds into the SFC and the SFC ties into the thick metal right below where the back seat bolt is located. This is hard to explain, but you can see a similar idea on detroitspeed.com for the 1st gen Camaros. This opens up the rocker area for the cold side piping to tuck up.
Attached Thumbnails Hybrid STS build-photo.jpg   Hybrid STS build-photo-3-.jpg  
Old 04-02-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

thats awesome...

im waiting for santa to show up to my house with my parts...
Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

How a week can change my mind... I woke up Monday morning deciding a rear mount isn't for me. I initially had convinced myself that a front mount was just toooo much trouble on these cars. After talking to Josh at KY Turbo, I no longer feel that way. Luckily I haven't collected too many parts for the rear mount setup that I will have to sell (factory manifolds and ORY). My turbo may not do the trick either though. TC 76 with a P trim wheel and .81 AR. Should I try to sell it and start from scratch?

I'm going back and forth between trying to use a C6 and truck manifold setup with an aftermarket K member or having headers built. Either way I'm going to use Josh for all of the hot and coldside.

I have changed my mind more than an indecisive teen on the direction of this project, but I think I'm settled in now. Keyword...think
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Also, dual walbros is the plan for those that recommended that. I now have an Aeromotive 340 paperweight. Ebay here I come!

Quick Reply: Hybrid STS build