Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Procharger Problems

Well I thought I was going to make some progress on the Procharged SOM today. It all started fine with the car in the shop:

The plan was to put the new shoes on, change oil in the Procharger, install my line lock, and try to resolve the pesky squeel in the Supercharger system.

I was able to start with getting the wheels and tires on. Whoever said the 295/55/15 Mickey Thompson radials fit without any problems is either full of ****, or is much luckier than I am.

So I decided to take a look at the Procharger stuff. I was hoping to have a bearing out of the idler. It has been out before and has made a similar noise. I took a look at the head unit to see if that was the issue.

Seeing it on the bench is not a good sign. How about a close up!

Looks like a saw. Not good.

So I will be weighing my options tomorrow. I am sure it will start with a call to Bob @ Brute Speed. I am not sure if this is beyond fixable. Not sure if I will buy a D1SC, or is I will go too far and get either a F1A or F1D.

I know what I would be getting myself into if I had a forged short block. I wouldn't even be questioning myself.

P.S.: If you are thinking about winning the Powerball Wednesday night, save your money. I am pretty sure I have the winning ticket. I could just use a little bit to be able to buy a new blower and/or shortblock!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, that's crazy. Did it have a filter on it?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 93SlowBird
wow, that's crazy. Did it have a filter on it?
It has a filter on it, but the worthless Procharger hat doesn't stay on the head unit the best. I have a feeling that is where the problem started.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Holy ****, looks like it was sucking up sand and rocks! Sorry to hear that, I hope mine looks better then that when i pull it off here soon.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Next time put a 4 inch hose clap and it will stop it from moving and falling off!
Don't look good from here!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I think you win a prize for having one of the worst looking impellers I have seen! The only other impeller that I have seen that looked this bad was one that was chewing on a hose clamp after an aluminum inlet had fallen off. T-bolt clamps work real well for securing the inlet on the blower. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

On my brand new DISC with less than 500 miles I was hearing the same noise. I pulled the head unit off and found the exact same thing you have. My impeller was destroyed. I also found the culprit....there was a small stainless steel screw sitting in the bottom of the hat.

I did not do the original install, but I did have the head unit off at least one time to change out the fans. Anyway, I was heartsick when I saw that impeller....especially on a brand new unit that wasn't even broke in yet.

Sent it back to Procahrger to be repaired....obviously they did not cover it under warrenty....ended costing me around 1100....They did give me three more bottles of supercharger oil though.....
Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that man Just go ahead and get an F1A/C and a forged shortblock. You will enjoy it more
Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

omg sorry man. I am def gonna check my intake hat very often after seeing this!!!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dam that sucks josh I was wondering if you got your car out. I guess it does give you a excuse to step in to a big blower but still sucks.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
I think you win a prize for having one of the worst looking impellers I have seen! The only other impeller that I have seen that looked this bad was one that was chewing on a hose clamp after an aluminum inlet had fallen off. T-bolt clamps work real well for securing the inlet on the blower. Bob
Thank you for taking the time to discuss the future build today. I will probably be calling again tomorrow, hopefully to put an order in.

Originally Posted by HS-Y2kFormula
On my brand new DISC with less than 500 miles I was hearing the same noise. I pulled the head unit off and found the exact same thing you have. My impeller was destroyed. I also found the culprit....there was a small stainless steel screw sitting in the bottom of the hat.

I did not do the original install, but I did have the head unit off at least one time to change out the fans. Anyway, I was heartsick when I saw that impeller....especially on a brand new unit that wasn't even broke in yet.

Sent it back to Procahrger to be repaired....obviously they did not cover it under warrenty....ended costing me around 1100....They did give me three more bottles of supercharger oil though.....
I figure I will probably buy a new head unit, and then send mine in at a later date to have it fixed to try to recoupe some money on my investment. I talked to somebody today and it was quite a bit more than $1100. So we will have to see.

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that man Just go ahead and get an F1A/C and a forged shortblock. You will enjoy it more
It is very tempting. I wish there was more information about the F1D out there too. I have been looking at that. I wish I could get the short block right now as well. Short block + fuel system + transmissions = it never ends!

Originally Posted by BLAKE 01 WS6
omg sorry man. I am def gonna check my intake hat very often after seeing this!!!!!
I will be paying more attention to this as well.

Originally Posted by 2002camaroSS
Dam that sucks josh I was wondering if you got your car out. I guess it does give you a excuse to step in to a big blower but still sucks.
Thanks. I am hoping to have it back on the road as soon as possible. Bigger blower, that is what I have been hearing from everybody.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
It has a filter on it, but the worthless Procharger hat doesn't stay on the head unit the best. I have a feeling that is where the problem started.
Was it catching a clamp or something? I know guys that run open blower without that happening. You would think a bolt would need to sit in the hat to do that much damage.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes me think twice about not running a filter on mine. I guess I'll have to spring for the truck hat that Bob sells.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

The Fed Ex carrier stopped by my house today and left a small present on my doorstep:

Hopefully it will be installed tomorrow night, as long as there aren't any issues.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:03 PM

Very nice! Am I reading that ratio correctly? Does it say 3.40?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Very nice! Am I reading that ratio correctly? Does it say 3.40?
I will have to take a closer look at that when I get home. I know it caught my eye earlier, but I didn't pay too much attention to it. I know it should say 5.40.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:10 PM

Correct. Should be 5.40. Thats why I was asking. Didnt know if you had a "special" one made or something to go along with your stock shortblock... I never woulda thought they would do such a thing, but then again, I've never asked haha..
Old 04-20-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Correct. Should be 5.40. Thats why I was asking. Didnt know if you had a "special" one made or something to go along with your stock shortblock... I never woulda thought they would do such a thing, but then again, I've never asked haha..
I don't think I could afford anything "special" made from Procharger! I do have a wagon wheel of a pulley on it though (5.25"). Hopefully the short block will hold up until I get the funds to build the short block I want to. I would hate to have to throw a stock 6.0 in there just to get by for the time being.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

update?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I want to see some more pics or something. LOL

Quick Reply: Procharger Problems