Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PCV - Valley pan options

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCV - Valley pan options

I tried searching for options relating to valley pans, PCV's, and knock sensors but feel like I am spinning my wheels.....

I am working on wrapping up my turbo nova build and looking to add in a PCV system. I picked up a LS3 valley cover for better PCV control but there are no knock sensor holes; do I need knock sensors or are they not really needed???

My apologies for being ignorant if they are truly needed.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm doing an exhaust scavenge system...exhaust pulls air out of both banks (valve covers) and will be implementing Moroso's oil separator can. To add fresh air...keeping the motor at atmospheric pressure, I will be adding another line...pre-turbo back to the intake. Basically, as boost increases the exhaust will be sucking out the air, meanwhile fresh air is being added under boost. Kit will also have check valve.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a system like that on my old stroker motor.

I have already made my own catch can, purchased the check valves and am ready to use this cover. Maybe I will have to just tap into the stock LS1 cover?

But I guess my main question is if I need the knock sensors or can they be eliminated.

Adam
Old 04-12-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
I'm doing an exhaust scavenge system...exhaust pulls air out of both banks (valve covers) and will be implementing Moroso's oil separator can. To add fresh air...keeping the motor at atmospheric pressure, I will be adding another line...pre-turbo back to the intake. Basically, as boost increases the exhaust will be sucking out the air, meanwhile fresh air is being added under boost. Kit will also have check valve.
Thats not at all the question he asked. He was wondering if you needed knock sensors.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Thats not at all the question he asked. He was wondering if you needed knock sensors.
I was giving him another idea, but he's already been there and done that. For his build however, I wouldn't worry too much on the knock sensors. Especially if the holes aren't there.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

u can tune out the knock sensors, or place them somewhere else on the motor u will have to buy an extended harness tho.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am just curious to know if I should keep them to help me out to keep the engine safe or not. I will not use the LS3 valley cover if the knock sensors will be helpful in protecting the engine.

I have remember reading that if the engine is in the higher HP, the knock sensor really will do nothing but I am not 100% sure on that, the reason I am asking the "masses".

Thanks for any info.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it helps any, I didn't use my knock sensors on my last car. The car made 700awhp @ 38PSI with total timing advance of 16-18 degrees in the upper RPM range. The motor after two years is still running strong. It ran 9's in another car. This was due to 112 leaded fuel ran consistently...no pump gas. If I were you, I would just tune them out and run a meth kit to help with detonation and the IAT's.

Last edited by Sweet_SS; 04-12-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: PCV - Valley pan options