Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bet you have never seen this before : CNG Powered Callaway SS Bi-Fuel!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that car would be amazing without the CNG, now its just insane. attention to detail is top notch, amazing work!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Excellent news. Please add some underhood pictures of fuel rails and trunk pictured of tank mounting (how the heck did you get 7gge in that pathetic little trunk opening?)

Came close to doing this with my camaro but instead modified a tahoe and have a suburban in work.

Also, if you or whoever is tuning CNG fuel under boost wants some hints for max HP drop me a line. You are probably already aware that CNG behaves nothing like petrol on power curve, but just in case.

For others in this thread, I've had excellent success with both commercial CNG filling stations and residential (PHIL) garage appliances. CNG (methane) is 98% North America (Canada mostly) and last time I checked the US wasn't planning on invading and occupying our neighbors to the north to gain access to their natural resources.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of us not in the know on how to do these conversions please post info.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a side note, many new vehicles are DI (direct injection) and run fuel pressures ranging from 500-2500PSI right to the fuel injector.

Duramax diesels run over 20,000PSI
Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
3600psi? Is it regulated down as it is fed to the motor? Seems like there'd be weird blowby issues.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by O.N.
on my old 5.7L LS1 i had it running on liquid LPG injection (australia) and i was making 250rwkw on 98 octane petrol and 260rwkw on LPG.

It is about 110octane here and obviously freezing cold when it is injected.

when the engine was pulled apart when i sold it i was told that there was very little carbon build up as it had such a nice clean burn all the time from the LPG it helped the enigne to run alot better.
And here in Australia is about 65 cents a litre, which is more then half the price of 98 octane. So its not only the extra power but the saving at the gas station
Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Veteran

The fuel rails and such are in the pics that he posted in the beginning. The injectors are off to the side on their own rails, and line run from them to the intake manifold. Most Conversions on composite manifolds drill into the manifold itself, much like a direct port nitrous injection.

PHIL, i can say they are very nice units, lol. And for the price of them, they would pay for them selves in a year or two. (especially at the fuel price we are going)

Its alot like geothermal, the upfront cost is a little high, but the added monthly/weekly benefeits are incredible for a DD car. especially knowing you an come home at night and plug your car in and have a full tank in the morning.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are no underhood pictures yet. That is a vette sans blower

ECO in canada makes an excellent system for commercial sale onlythat can be installed one of two ways. Cheap and easy, drill holes into the intake manifold one each per cylinder and attach a tube that feeds CNG from a low impedance injector, or better clean way, mount rigid fuel rail with Y adapters at each injector port.

There are companies already making direct injection CNG units. I'm not sure of current status but check out cummings/westport. Initially designed for CNG/diesel mix. These could work very nicely on a DI system.

Model year vehicles 2000 and earlier are grandfathered in for conversion as long as the system is safely installed. 2001 and later must be certified for emissions which is very expensive and tends to kill "legal" projects before they get started.

That being said, many people modify their fuel systems with nitrous and forced induction which are similarly illegal per the EPA. Its your own personal risk aversion.

NGV death and injury are very rare. Every report that I've read implicates substandard CNG system/installation or damaged/past expiration tanks. In other words, properly designed and installed CNG conversions are verysafe. Gray market systems from India or those that are 20 years old and corroded with battery acid are NOT safe(duh).

CNG tanks undergo many tests including ballistics tests. Literally, the tanks are designed to withstand a bullet hit while loaded at 4000 psi. Late model Police Interceptors (Crown vics) carry anywhere from 4 to 5 tanks. These tanks have proven effective through police collision reports at protecting occupants from rear end collisions exceeding 80 mph.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

More underhood pics please.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

About how much would it cost to convert the average f body? I would be interested in converting my Iroc. This seems like a great fuel for my new supercharged lt1.
Kory
Old 05-09-2011, 06:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have not seen any actual conversion info to convert from gasoline to cng
Old 05-09-2011, 06:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NemeSS
I still have not seen any actual conversion info to convert from gasoline to cng
Hey NemeSS, what kind of info are you looking for, Cost? Places to do it? Or just parts? If so, give me about an hour, and ill post some sites up and PM you.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

looking for any diy info. cost, parts required,etc.
not likely i will take my car to a conversion shop. ive done plenty of fuel system for turbo cars.
just want get idea of what all is involved for a typical cng system, ive found a place that sell cng, in the neighborhood live in. literally down the street.
im interested in converting my car for this, due to this new discovery. i found the place with the locator link in this thread
if its similar to a high end forced induction fuel system. i usually use bosch 040 pumps with 1:1 fpr with required lines,etc. for a basic rising rate fuel system
Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NemeSS
looking for any diy info. cost, parts required,etc.
not likely i will take my car to a conversion shop. ive done plenty of fuel system for turbo cars.
just want get idea of what all is involved for a typical cng system, ive found a place that sell cng, in the neighborhood live in. literally down the street.
im interested in converting my car for this, due to this new discovery. i found the place with the locator link in this thread
if its similar to a high end forced induction fuel system. i usually use bosch 040 pumps with 1:1 fpr with required lines,etc. for a basic rising rate fuel system
No fuel pump needed for CNG, its compressed at the station and filled in the car's tank(s) to 3600PSI. One or two regulators are used to reduce fuel pressure to between 50-175 psi at the fuel rail depending on the fuel injectors being used.

The Federal code for CNG vehicle is NFPA52. Anything short of following NFPA52 is not only a federal crime, but would likely kill/maim passengers and others within proximity of the vehicle. I strongly support everyone's attempt to use an alternative fuel, but just want to make sure it is safe.

An outstanding source for CNG fuel stations is CNGprices.com it is user updated includes current status and price throughout the US.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Launching!

88 cents a gallon... Nice...
Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

So can the average person buy the conversion parts and do this then? If not what is the average cost of converting an f body. I found a local source for cng as well.
Thanks for any info you can provide.
Kory
Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kory 88Iroc Lt1
So can the average person buy the conversion parts and do this then? If not what is the average cost of converting an f body. I found a local source for cng as well.
Kory
+1 for info
Old 05-10-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kory 88Iroc Lt1
Kory
By "average person" if you mean someone with auto/tech/design/fabrication experience, then yes an average person can obtain the components and assemble a system. The industry in general frowns on this because the liability is huge and the return is small. In other words, a company stands to lose its business if someone is injured while only profiting a few hundred dollars from the sale. More likely a company will lose money selling only one component at a time to one individual at a time.

I suspect the OP has backed off this thread because either he or the company he is associated with don't want direct involvement with the DIY public. Perhaps I'm mistaken but we have yet to see any pictures other than a CNG sticker on a Camaro rear bumper cover. Strange thread.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
By "average person" if you mean someone with auto/tech/design/fabrication experience, then yes an average person can obtain the components and assemble a system. The industry in general frowns on this because the liability is huge and the return is small. In other words, a company stands to lose its business if someone is injured while only profiting a few hundred dollars from the sale. More likely a company will lose money selling only one component at a time to one individual at a time.

I suspect the OP has backed off this thread because either he or the company he is associated with don't want direct involvement with the DIY public. Perhaps I'm mistaken but we have yet to see any pictures other than a CNG sticker on a Camaro rear bumper cover. Strange thread.

i see. makes sense. i can see how a diy could do stuff incorrect and cause problems. i assume cng is under alot of pressure. and takes many especialized parts. and procedures. for correct install
Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bump for more info.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94 slow
bump for more info.
+1

moar!

Quick Reply: Bet you have never seen this before : CNG Powered Callaway SS Bi-Fuel!!