Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

98-02 Formula dual-FMIC placement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Reject
i would just recommend you figure a way to incorporate the turn signals.

find a cop on in bad day and he will begin poking around the car. finding more issues wrong (plates, EMISSIONS, etc).

that's just me though
Already got that covered. Read the thread.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1needingboost
I dont wanna be the one to burst ur bubble but im pretty sure u cant run the d1sc thru those style intercoolers in series, im pretty sure they are designed to split the cfm thru each one, I dont think there designed to run that much cfm thru each of them individually.
We've ran them in series(procharger 3.5" ones on my ltd at 700+ rwhp and they did fine, we saw zero mph gain going to a 31x12 fmic.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by skinnies
We've ran them in series(procharger 3.5" ones on my ltd at 700+ rwhp and they did fine, we saw zero mph gain going to a 31x12 fmic.
Did you check the IAT difference? Was it an eBay FMIC? Lots of variables at play... Good to know the Procharger dual intercoolers can be run in series and make over 700rwhp, though.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Did you check the IAT difference? Was it an eBay FMIC? Lots of variables at play... Good to know the Procharger dual intercoolers can be run in series and make over 700rwhp, though.
It had a difference, not much tho, IIRC around 25 degrees higher with twin ic vs the fmic on a long highway pull. Both are blocked mostly by the bumper so I ran higher iats. I swapped it out because I was thinking it might be a restriction, but it wasn't.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Intmd8's old LT1 twin turbo car had two intercoolers in a similar nature and it made around 1000rwhp.
Actually it was 855rwhp.

I still have a brand new pair of these Griffins on the shelf if someone wants a deal on them. Not the most efficient for IAT's but they did work and have zero compromise to the cooling system.

Pics here of how I set them up on my car-

http://www.ls1speed.com/intmd8.cfm
Old 04-10-2013, 06:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by INTMD8
Actually it was 855rwhp.

I still have a brand new pair of these Griffins on the shelf if someone wants a deal on them. Not the most efficient for IAT's but they did work and have zero compromise to the cooling system.

Pics here of how I set them up on my car-

http://www.ls1speed.com/intmd8.cfm
I may. Send me some pictures of them off the car and the price you were looking to get. Dimensions (including inlet/outlet diameter) are a plus.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Update. INTMD8s intercoolers weren't the correct dimensions to be mounted up front, so I had to keep looking for intercoolers and found a CXracing type that might work. I think if I hack up the bumper support bar or remove it, I could go with a larger intercooler. Next step for this project is to see how much space there is to work with by installing a de-foamed bumper support bar, then checking space without a bumper support bar installed.

Anyways, I bought a spare bumper for $10 and cut out the drivers side fog/DRL. Cut and taped up a cardboard box with the dimensions of the CXracing intercooler. Just cut away a small triangle of the support foam and pushed it in there and let it hang. It's drooping on the outside edge but if it was mounted to something it would angle the rows like in the original Photoshop.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you use vertical flow intercoolers, this would work. The pipe to the TB would be similar to the old APS turbo kits. Don't laugh at my paint skillz !

Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never been a fan of A2A intercooling on 4th gen F-Bodys because in most cases the air flow thru the cooling system has to modified and the cooling system suffers.

But you have put a interesting twist on a F-Body A2A system.
I like it, it looks great! And the factory air flow thru the radiator can remain stock.
As far as turn signals are concerned LED lights are cheap and easy to work with.
You should have no problem putting turn signals back on the car.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

So I have four of these LED bars that I was gonna try to use somehow (if not for the DRLs, then engine bay lighting):
98-02 Formula dual-FMIC placement-smjwnet.jpg
98-02 Formula dual-FMIC placement-7zfsq8v.jpg

But I was looking around earlier this week and found these, only problem is they are not waterproof so I would need to figure out how to waterproof them:
98-02 Formula dual-FMIC placement-qt4vv4l.jpg

Originally Posted by No Juice
If you use vertical flow intercoolers, this would work. The pipe to the TB would be similar to the old APS turbo kits. Don't laugh at my paint skillz !
I thought about vertical flow ones, but I want to avoid using them simply because I don't like vertical rows. If it turns out that vertical flow intercoolers are the best fitment, I'll go with 'em.

It's either going to be routed like how you have it (split one tube into each IC then join before going into throttle body, like stock ProCharger system) or like this:
98-02 Formula dual-FMIC placement-zl2lyq9.jpg

Originally Posted by Chris@CBR
I've never been a fan of A2A intercooling on 4th gen F-Bodys because in most cases the air flow thru the cooling system has to modified and the cooling system suffers.

But you have put a interesting twist on a F-Body A2A system.
I like it, it looks great! And the factory air flow thru the radiator can remain stock.
As far as turn signals are concerned LED lights are cheap and easy to work with.
You should have no problem putting turn signals back on the car.
Thanks. The stock ProCharger system for F-bodies actually uses this idea without involving any cutting of the bumper. Keeps the stock radiator and stock plastic air channels. They lay the intercoolers flat, where the black plastic fog light access panels are normally attached. Here is a pic for reference:
98-02 Formula dual-FMIC placement-fjabu15.png

Last edited by ZexGX; 02-14-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put a alky control methonal system on it and don't run an intercooler.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

looks neat . I think im just going to go with a fmic , it just looks like too much plumbing . I already have a ton of piping with the stock procharger twins.

Quick Reply: 98-02 Formula dual-FMIC placement