Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My BUDGET single front mount build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My BUDGET single front mount build thread.

Alright so I finally got some nice weather to start tear down of the car. The car is a 2001 WS6. I've had this car since I was 18 and I'm 24 now.

MY PLAN WITH THIS IS TO SEE IF I CAN KEEP THIS CAR UNDER A CERTAIN BUDGET NUMBER BUT NOT NECESSARILY BUYING CHEAP ****!

Now I've planned for 4k but I've been window shopping the classifieds and the sponsors for sales since last December. So I'm not cheaping out on anything I'm simply finding the best prices. I have all the receipts on what I've bought already. I also plan on keeping all accessories as well as AC. This will be somewhat of a slowER build. But I'd like to drive it sometime this summer. Onto the good ****.

Anyways build will consist of:

*Turbonetics TC78 T4 .96 A/R
*Mild steel tubular headers - built by ttranssam & myself
*Racetronix harness w/ Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump
*Tial 50mm BOV
*44mm WG (don't have yet)
*Turbo tubular K-member (don't have yet)
*Griffin radiator (don't have yet)

I know I'm forgetting some other **** so just ask if your wondering. Here's the pictures.

Here we go!

Work spot (little messy)

Another work bench with header kit and crossover pipes.

Parts closet

Goodies

New racetronix kit for the 340 pump.

Teardown...

New dd while I work on the TA.

..and my boys being good!

Time to get back to work...
Old 04-23-2011, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

nice man... i had a budget when i started but then started buyin mostly new parts and the budget went out the window...

good luck should be fun.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

building you own turbo headers?
Old 04-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Good luck man the boys are good lookin pups
Old 04-23-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

I started out doing a "budget" truck manifold build with a 70mm Master Power turbo. I now have a Turbonetics TC78, a welder, a tubular turbo K member, a 4L80e swap, a boost controller, my own welded turbo kit, Uh....yeah.

So much for that "budget" idea. Your budget sounds a little more realistic than mine was, so it may not be too bad. I had a bad case of "if I am going to do that, I might as well do this". Looks good so far.

X2 on the welding your own turbo headers question.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jb7241986
Good luck man the boys are good lookin pups
Thank you. That picture is kinda old though lol. They're much bigger now. Just thought I'd throw that one in there since it was in the same folder.

Originally Posted by TX RED
building you own turbo headers?
Yes. My buddy is going to be the one welding everything up since he has the welder and is pretty damn good at it. Should be fun.

Originally Posted by evo462
I started out doing a "budget" truck manifold build with a 70mm Master Power turbo. I now have a Turbonetics TC78, a welder, a tubular turbo K member, a 4L80e swap, a boost controller, my own welded turbo kit, Uh....yeah.

So much for that "budget" idea. Your budget sounds a little more realistic than mine was, so it may not be too bad. I had a bad case of "if I am going to do that, I might as well do this". Looks good so far.

X2 on the welding your own turbo headers question.
That's funny because that's exactly what happened to me. I was going to do a MPT70 and I went to the TC78 instead. I'm in the same boat as you too though.

I don't mind window shopping for the best prices and killer deals in the classifieds and from sponsors here.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just so you know with fi the budget never works lol, im pretty sure ive spent close to 1k in the past month on just misc crap (fittings,adapters,bolts,belts,gaskets list goes on) not to mention all the gas wasted trying to find this stuff
Old 04-23-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

My buddy (ttranssam) has a lot of stuff to add as well so I won't have to buy a lot of the miscellaneous **** like flanges, gaskets and bolts and ****. But I've got all my receipts and a notepad of what I've spent so far. I think it was around 1300 for everything in the goodies picture except for the SFC's.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

good luck bro.lol like everyone says. budget is hard to stick too
Old 04-23-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

I've seen it enough lol. No surprises there but thanks. I almost got the radiator out earlier but stopping to color eggs with my little one.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by yelo04goat
nice man... i had a budget when i started but then started buyin mostly new parts and the budget went out the window...
Same here... lol, then I had to explain to the wife why I went totally over my budget.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

GL with the build. Any goals as far as what you looking for? Are you keeping the motor stock except for the necessities for the turbo? Just wondering if your gonna need a stall or if its an m6 car?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

subscribed>>>>
Old 04-23-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 20TA02
Same here... lol, then I had to explain to the wife why I went totally over my budget.
Ya I just tell my fiance that it'll be a lot. I balance the budget/checkbook so what I say goes, lmfao. I'm curious, do you have a legitimate smog legal turbo TA in Cali? You can PM me if you'd like. I honestly want to venture back out that way someday but I can't bring myself to not have any heavily modded cars or pay a milli for a cardboard box of a house.

Originally Posted by krissoto
GL with the build. Any goals as far as what you looking for? Are you keeping the motor stock except for the necessities for the turbo? Just wondering if your gonna need a stall or if its an m6 car?
Thank you. Ya I knew I left out some pertinent information there. No goals really, but I'd like to see anything over 500. ****, even if it was around 475 I'd be happy too. It'll be on a stock block. Don't plan on going over 8 psi, for now. The only thing that's getting touched inside is the valvesprings for sure and maybe hardened pushrods. It's also an A4 and I'm still undecided about the trans deal. I'm getting my 60e built but I'm not sure on what size stall to go with. I'm also undecided as to whom I should go to for the trans build. I know for sure it will be one of the sponsors on here. Or if I can find another sick deal on a trans in the classifieds again, I'd jump on that. I had found one a month or two back but it was right before I got my tax money back, so needless to say I couldn't pick it up.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badWS6
Ya I just tell my fiance that it'll be a lot. I balance the budget/checkbook so what I say goes, lmfao. I'm curious, do you have a legitimate smog legal turbo TA in Cali? You can PM me if you'd like. I honestly want to venture back out that way someday but I can't bring myself to not have any heavily modded cars or pay a milli for a cardboard box of a house.

cali is changing the smog laws right now and will be enforced by 2013 but to sum it up for obd2 car there will no longer be a sniffer test, just a ecu scan and a visual, so it should start being a lot easier on us over here,(i hope lol)
Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

pm sent
Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, black sporty 4door with tinted windows as the dd while the t/a is under the knife getting some turbo lovin'. Sounds like me. This will be a cool build for sure. Will have to see it at a Cruise night this year.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 20TA02
pm sent
Got it thank you sir!

Originally Posted by willizm
Hmmm, black sporty 4door with tinted windows as the dd while the t/a is under the knife getting some turbo lovin'. Sounds like me. This will be a cool build for sure. Will have to see it at a Cruise night this year.
Haha yeah I saw your signature and thought the same thing. Hopefully I'll be able to make it out to a few with it done this year. Although I'm getting a little mod happy with the G now. Like I said I can't leave anything stock. I gotta focus on the TA first.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Alright so did a small amount with some free time that I had when my daughter was asleep. **** kinda sucks when you're working by yourself lol.

You know what it is!!!

Radiator and condenser out.

So much more room now!

Working on getting the intake off but now it's family time. Thanks for looking! Any criticism is welcome ...
Old 04-24-2011, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1badWS6

Thank you. Ya I knew I left out some pertinent information there. No goals really, but I'd like to see anything over 500. ****, even if it was around 475 I'd be happy too. It'll be on a stock block. Don't plan on going over 8 psi, for now.
my car layed down 540 on 8-9 psi with just springs changed and that was with an auto.

and budget is still funny, if you have control it could be worse.lol i went from doing a cammed auto to a turbo kit.lmao

Quick Reply: My BUDGET single front mount build thread.