Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

P1SC Belt noise, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1SC Belt noise, etc...

i'm currently running a P1SC on my c5 LS1. The setup only has 1800 miles on on it including the belt.

The kit I bought came with a belt like this one...

However I opted to buy a new belt even though there was so sign of wear on the one that came with the kit.

This is how the one I bought looks like...

I have a ridiculous squeal coming from the belt right now and before I change the belt I wanted to know one of the 2 styles I should go with. I've narrowed the problem down to the belt, (sprayed some water on the belt and it goes quiet), and some peps from another forum told me to spray some belt dressing on. I'm kinda against that idea since everyone else has told me never to use any lubricating liquid on a serpentine belt.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you may not have the tenisoner adjusted to its max. Have you called ProCharger?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dayco belts suck. Belt dressing will make it worse. Get a Goodyear Gatorback and be done. I've been working at a shop for 15 years and our supplier switched to Dayco from Goodyear and I've had more belt problems in the last year than I had in 14 years with Goodyear. I run Goodyear on my car!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd try a Gatorback belt too, I've have very reliable results with them. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

So here is the update:

Belt changed the original belt that came with kit, not sure how many miles it had on it but it looked like it was in decent shape. Not sure about the brand. Pulleys seemed fine, (it was a PITA to deal with the old style procharger braket, tensioner setup), instal done turned car on no noise. Drove around for 2 weeks, did some WOT runs, slight chirping started to form again. At this point i'm not sure what it is. I am getting only 5 lbs of boost at the moment, still going to check for a leak but I highly doubt i'll find one. Belt slip?

I posted a few vids up and some people told me that I don't have enough tension on the belt for a 8lb setup.

Let me know what you guys think,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TrkcXuiYOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS-KPEu7aRY
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is recommended to retension the belt after it has run into the pulleys. Get a new belt put on and drive around a few kms let it cool down and retension it. If that doesn't work its time to upgrade.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Forgive me for the stupid question but I thought our cars have automatic tensioners?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

not with the procharger its a manual tensioner
Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Ok. Judging by the vids would you say the belt doesn't have enough tension on it? Also going to add that my kit is the early style P1SC and first gen bracket. The original tensioner just gets relocated into the bracket area, PITA to access. That means it's automatic spring loaded not manual, right?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry dude missed the C5 part. If its automatic tensioned then obviously you can't retighten it. The spring in the auto tensioner could be getting weak though. You could try a slightly shorter belt too.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by flame
Sorry dude missed the C5 part. If its automatic tensioned then obviously you can't retighten it. The spring in the auto tensioner could be getting weak though. You could try a slightly shorter belt too.

i missed the c5 part and didn't see the vid , reading comprehension kicked my butt.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help guys. I'm taking the car to a local shop that used to do all the SLP installs back when the f-body plant was in Montreal. I did alot of reading and i'm still not sure if it's a tension issue or misaligned. A lot of websites say a chirp = misaligned, drip water and the sound goes away then comes back. Squeal = tension issue, drip water on belt and the noise should get louder.

Anyway taking the car to a shop hopefully they will figure it out and I can start producing full boost and no belt noise.

Quick Reply: P1SC Belt noise, etc...