Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

vortech v9 on stock ls1 dyno results...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default vortech v9 on stock ls1 dyno results...

Ok, I have a 99 camaro with mods in sig and just installed the vortech aftercooled kit and got it dyno tuned. It made 414/392 on 6lbs at 15deg, only spinning the engine to 6k for safety reasons. We tried 2 degrees more timing and with no kr it lost 10rwhp. There were no dyno tricks done and no icing the intercooler to get unreal #'s that you wouldnt be able to duplicate running on the street. A/F is about 11.5:1 I was really hoping for 450 or so but they told me that their dyno was a lil low on #'s, ok, no big deal. I was also wanting to see 8-9 lbs boost. The kit is running the stock pulleys, does anyone know if the v9-g trim is able to push a lil more with a pulley swap? Im pleased with how it runs but would like a little more, as Im pretty sure it wouldnt beat the pullied cobra I had before. I was also told that according to other cars tuned there I gained about 100-105 rwhp on the 6lbs the kit makes. Is this good or??? Suggestions to get a lil better performance if you have any expierience with this kit.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

sweet , the afr is a little low , they could probably get it to about 11.7-11.8 range and get you some more hp .
Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a v9g on my car. numbers in sig.(on a "low reading dyno") but thats with exhaust and a 275 pulley. im seeing 9lbs. although i have a tired motor, and my blower needs to be rebuilt.
i also did a fmic on my car.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

98BLOWNZ28 has this setup and is making over 450. Something simple you could do is put a filter right on then inlet, switch to a front mount intercooler, upgrade your injectors if you havent, put in a cam and put on true duals.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

back in the day Justme pullied his up and ditched the aftercooler and went with meth and was over 550rwhp so you can push about 100rwhp more with the right pulley combo, fuel system, and likely better cooling beyond that aftercooler alone.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

inspector12 had this setup too and made like 601wheel or something. althought thats some of the highest numbers ive seen for this blower setup, thats still alot of power.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98BLOWNZ28
i have a v9g on my car. numbers in sig.(on a "low reading dyno") but thats with exhaust and a 275 pulley. im seeing 9lbs. although i have a tired motor, and my blower needs to be rebuilt.
i also did a fmic on my car.
tired motor eh, tell me about it, Mine has 173k on it and comp is 130-131 on all cyl. I thought the headers on mine might account for some boost loss but 4lbs, damn. Where did you get a 2.75 pulley from? I called vortech and they dont make any pulleys for this blower, something about the offset isnt right for any other blower kits to change pulleys with???
I would love to see some pics of the fmic setup and how the piping is routed if you have any, and if ya dont, TAKE SOME. J/k, please...

Last edited by JRENIGAR; 05-12-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
98BLOWNZ28 has this setup and is making over 450. Something simple you could do is put a filter right on then inlet, switch to a front mount intercooler, upgrade your injectors if you havent, put in a cam and put on true duals.
Filter on the inlet? On the blower inlet with no piping? I have racetronix pump kit and wiring with 60lb inj already.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
tired motor eh, tell me about it, Mine has 173k on it and comp is 130-131 on all cyl. I thought the headers on mine might account for some boost loss but 4lbs, damn. Where did you get a 2.75 pulley from? I called vortech and they dont make any pulleys for this blower, something about the offset isnt right for any other blower kits to change pulleys with???
I would love to see some pics of the fmic setup and how the piping is routed if you have any, and if ya dont, TAKE SOME. J/k, please...
yeah i have to post pics of it in another forum as well, ive just been lagging cause of work(im at work rightnow ) i forgot where i got the pulley from, but you could get pulleys for our specific kit from rocky mountian competitive research, or RMCR. google, get there number, and give them a call. they have all the rights to the vortech fbody stuff for 4th gens. im sure you will see a nice gain from a smaller pulley.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

trying to make a sale eh

you dont need true duals
Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

yeah i have to post pics of it in another forum as well, ive just been lagging cause of work(im at work rightnow ) i forgot where i got the pulley from, but you could get pulleys for our specific kit from rocky mountian competitive research, or RMCR. google, get there number, and give them a call. they have all the rights to the vortech fbody stuff for 4th gens. im sure you will see a nice gain from a smaller pulley.
waiting on pics when ya get a minute, thanks ahead of time, cause I will be askin more ?'s soon...
Old 05-13-2011, 04:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Filter on the inlet? On the blower inlet with no piping? I have racetronix pump kit and wiring with 60lb inj already.
Yes, some piping if you need it. Turbo and procharger guys do it all the time. I imagine you are still using the stock lid because of the inlet pipe. Something like an LS6 would give you a nice gain or an EPP blower cam if youre up for that. True duals arent necessary, you might not gain a lot of peak but your midrange will pick up quite a bit. The easiest thing would be to spend around $200 on a FMIC from CX racing with the piping, should be a nice double digit gain
Old 05-13-2011, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Yes, some piping if you need it. Turbo and procharger guys do it all the time. I imagine you are still using the stock lid because of the inlet pipe. Something like an LS6 would give you a nice gain or an EPP blower cam if youre up for that. True duals arent necessary, you might not gain a lot of peak but your midrange will pick up quite a bit. The easiest thing would be to spend around $200 on a FMIC from CX racing with the piping, should be a nice double digit gain
Yes Im on the stock lid but am up for something different if its good for some extra hp and dosent require another tune due to moving or deleting the maf thats on it. Yeah, definitely not up for a cam on this old engine but doable when it gets replaced if ever ( hopefully it will last ) Yeah right... Will try to check on the fmic and maybe a 2.75 pulley. I just know this engine is old but still runs good and i would rather drive it like it is for two years than get another 50rwhp for a year then it blows. I know this is not what evryone in the forced induction section wants to hear but.... I need time to save for an engine before I really push the limits of this one...
Old 05-13-2011, 01:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A FMIC will give you no gain, though there are some advantages. I had one and another guy named Steve who used to post on here did one, neither of us gained any power.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2001WS6Vert
A FMIC will give you no gain, though there are some advantages. I had one and another guy named Steve who used to post on here did one, neither of us gained any power.
true duals will not do crap for you. its not worth the money spent into your exhaust if you already have it done. you wanna make more power, run a smaller pulley, get a retune. simple as that. and im with 2001ws6vert on this. my car made 465/466 without a working aftercooler. i did the fmic and my car put down 459/452 on a "low reading dyno", BUT, it was also retuned by a different tuner on a different dyno. its all personal preference. i had the aftercooler on my car, but it wasnt working, i was having an issue with the waterpump for the setup and i couldnt get it figured out, so i decided to do a fmic. only real difference is one setup is air cooled, and the other setup is water cooled. if it was a track car, i would of kept the aftercooler and worked with it, set up a chillbox to throw some ice in at the track, and call it a day. my car is my dd. so i went with a front mount. its just a more mechanical setup and not much can go wrong with it.(no electrical etc). i ended up doing my fmic set up twice over to get it just how i wanted it. theres more to it than just bolting on an intercooler and calling it a day. i removed my a/c, moved my radiator forward a bit, had to re route a couple things and so on just to get it right and keep my battery in my engine bay and such. i am also NOT running a stock hood.
there arent many vortech f body guys, i can tell you this forsure, so everyone else will just make a post without realizing your set up/ situation.
if the aftercooler is working, keep it.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:47 PM
10 Second Club

true duals will not do crap for you. its not worth the money spent into your exhaust if you already have it done. you wanna make more power, run a smaller pulley, get a retune. simple as that. and im with 2001ws6vert on this. my car made 465/466 without a working aftercooler. i did the fmic and my car put down 459/452 on a "low reading dyno", BUT, it was also retuned by a different tuner on a different dyno. its all personal preference. i had the aftercooler on my car, but it wasnt working, i was having an issue with the waterpump for the setup and i couldnt get it figured out, so i decided to do a fmic. only real difference is one setup is air cooled, and the other setup is water cooled. if it was a track car, i would of kept the aftercooler and worked with it, set up a chillbox to throw some ice in at the track, and call it a day. my car is my dd. so i went with a front mount. its just a more mechanical setup and not much can go wrong with it.(no electrical etc). i ended up doing my fmic set up twice over to get it just how i wanted it. theres more to it than just bolting on an intercooler and calling it a day. i removed my a/c, moved my radiator forward a bit, had to re route a couple things and so on just to get it right and keep my battery in my engine bay and such. i am also NOT running a stock hood.
there arent many vortech f body guys, i can tell you this forsure, so everyone else will just make a post without realizing your set up/ situation.
if the aftercooler is working, keep it.
I got ya. I talked to vortech and they said I should have about 8lbs with stock 3.19 pulley and that I must have a leak because Of the 6-7lbs Im getting. I also thought about belt slip but havent seen any residue on the pulley so???? Would that 2.75 pulley be what I need? I dont know what size pulley to get. Vortech said they dont have one to fit my blower. All or theirs has a different offset and I could machine some off the back. Can anyone confirm this? I just dont wanna buy a $100 pulley that dosent work.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

just sent you a pm. they dont have the right offset pulley for vortech blowers on our cars anymore. but as far as the boost situation, theres alot that can affect that. it could be your head/cam setup(if you have different heads/cam) it could be your altitude(the higher up you are, the thinner the air gets, if taht makes sense) exhaust(a free flowing exhaust will cause you to loose some boost, but you will still make more power) etc.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

Holy ****... I found out why the #'s were so low. The blower belt was worn and slipping bad. I havent gotten it back to the dyno to see new #'s but its a world of diff from sotp feeling. I wonder if it needs retuned due to the belt slipping while on the dyno getting tuned???
Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Update?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive been lagging,
pics of my intercooler setup FORSURE later today.

Quick Reply: vortech v9 on stock ls1 dyno results...