Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

GTO Gen-TTR on E85 with dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:38 AM
7 Second Club

Received 310 Likes on 209 Posts

Default GTO Gen-TTR on E85 with dyno results

I originally just posted this on the GTO forum a couple months ago but since it's got some good info I decided to repost it here with all the recent E85 discussion.

Well I decided to put the GTO on E85 and see what it can really do. I am using a Lonnie's Performance dual walbro setup in the tank with PTFE braided lines, return regulator, rails, etc. In addition to this I am also using my old KB boost a pump to both pumps to give a bit more voltage to the pumps under boost. I only have it set around 10% right now which measures out to 14V so it's not like it's a big jump or anything right now, it's more so for the future for more boost because I know dual walbros are close to being done on their own right now on E85. I'm running the FIC/Bosch 95lb injectors as well and base pressure is set to around 50 psi so they are flowing around 102 lb/hr of fuel with a referenced regulator so the injectors don't "shrink" under boost. Even with all of that these sessions saw ~90% duty cycle on the injectors so they are getting up there as well. The motor is awfully thirsty with E85 and it uses quite a bit under boost.

I'm also out of map sensor so it's time to order up the 2.5 bar map sensor and convert over to the 3 bar OS from 2 bar to catch the boost spike that I see right now. On the dyno I would see a 17 psi spike and it would drop to about 14 psi up top and it's pretty similar on the street but I would bet I can squeek another psi or two out of it once I swap to the 2.5 bar map sensor to actually read it accurately. These turbos look to be about done with my combo around the 17 psi mark which when doing the math is pretty darn close to what the compressor charts show. The little 2871rs are giving it just about all they're worth.

Based on what I'm seeing the most amount of boost I'm going to be able to hold with these small turbos and my motor combo is probably 16-17 psi up top. The following two charts are the same run, one is SAE corrected and the other is uncorrected. They are both very close because of the weather conditions not being too bad but also because turbo cars and supercharged cars don't follow the typical correction factor trend as N/A motors do. Quoting SAE numbers on a hot day or at significant elevation is giving a very unrealistic number with FI vehicles not to mention it fudges your fuel consumption calculations, etc.

Uncorrected numbers

SAE corrected numbers
Old 05-27-2011, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn nice. Have a link to the build?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the car making on gas vs E85???? What were the gains???

Adam
Old 05-27-2011, 12:45 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Damn nice. Have a link to the build?
Sure, my crappy site is at http://www.gonicd.com

Originally Posted by Chicago TDP
What was the car making on gas vs E85???? What were the gains???

Adam
I never pushed it like this on 91 oct so I don't have any real numbers that would be a direct comparison.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work Nic! Any plans to upgrade the snails?
Old 05-28-2011, 03:56 PM
7 Second Club

Back on the dyno it went now that I have some AGP billet actuators that can actually hold boost better up top and got rid of some of the surge I had on the street. I only upped the boost a couple psi but I can tell these turbos are just about donzo especially on this nice 100 degree day. Since I enjoy just driving the car and putting gas in it I think I'll stop here and not push it too hard and worry about the 4l80 swap coming up. I think it could also benefit from a larger camshaft but I'm nitpicking at this point and since I'm lazy I won't be changing it anytime soon. The injectors were at ~92% duty cycle up top at this point.

Here is the overlay between my old pull and this one. Note that on my old pull I'm pretty sure it was a bit of tire spin from 4k - 5k rpm and I didn't really pick up as much as it shows.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:57 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by T.Man
Nice work Nic! Any plans to upgrade the snails?
I doubt it, it doesn't hook as it is but I do have this 4l80 sitting here almost ready to go.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice build Nic.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
I doubt it, it doesn't hook as it is but I do have this 4l80 sitting here almost ready to go.

Auto in the GTO? Absolutely!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting up Nic! I've always enjoyed following ur builds. Big congrats on the camaro running a bottom 9 @ over 150, I know its still got some better ET in it!

Have you considered going to Goat Run this year? would love to see the GTO there, plus its nothing but a weekend of good clean fun

Quick Reply: GTO Gen-TTR on E85 with dyno results